Quantcast

888RC or VF

allenzoom

Chimp
Sep 21, 2005
colorado springs
Ok guys it is that time of year when all the old stock is going on sale to make way for all the groovy new 06 products and I am looking for a new fork and I need some help! I am looking at the '05 888's and my dilemma is this... which model is better and why? The RC or the VF? Even though the RC has more adjustablity, I can get the VF for $300 less. Are the extra adjustments really needed? I am about 180 lbs, mostly ride freeride, but I also race during the racing season. My racing is very much secondary to dropping, jumping, etc. Any advise as to which fork would best suite my needs would be appreciated.

nuclear 674

Monkey
Aug 12, 2005
ahead of you!!!
the rc is probley a better way to go for racing ie the amount of adjustment available. The vf is a good choice if your not interested in the tuning the rc has. That said you can get the vf set up nicely if your willing to take the time.

Grizzle

Monkey
Sep 7, 2005
La Crescenta, CA
There is a very good reason that the VF is so much cheaper. To put it bluntly, the ssvf damping system just plain sucks. You really can feel a night and day difference between the hscv and the ssvf, i would go 888RC for sure. My personal favorite is the shivers :D

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
nuclear 674 said:
the rc is probley a better way to go for racing ie the amount of adjustment available. The vf is a good choice if your not interested in the tuning the rc has. That said you can get the vf set up nicely if your willing to take the time.
its not about the adjustability, its about the quality of damping. You could knock the adjuster knobs off with a hammer and it would still be 10x better.

This is like asking between a year old BMW vs a brand new Hyundai....they are still the same difference.

DH SB RIDER

Monkey
Aug 31, 2005
Santa Barbara
The vf is fine if its just a single impact. But when the going gets rough then your going to want the better damping(hcsv). For high speeds and racing the rc is by far better. For what you do the rc will be better but i guess the vf will work, i just heard that they spike.