Quantcast

888rc2x / intense m3 issue

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
gschuette said:
Exactly. No adjustment is possible and there is still a slight amount of crown above the end of the stachion.

How much is the tool to get the top caps off? I want to adjust the pre-load.

i think its a 26.

first you will need a 2mm allen, then slide off the red and black adjuster, be carefull not to lose the small click bearing that goes between the red and black adjuster, or the one that lives inside the silver top cap you now have exposed.
undo the top cap, best to do this at both sides at the same time, so that you can push the fork down and expose the whole rod assembly better.
then you have to remove an e-ring, a thin steel washer, and an o-ring, slide the top cap off.
now youll see exposed the alloy preload sleeves, these are of a different length on both sides, silde these off, and then you have to take off the sliver part with a coarse thread that serves as a guide for the preload sleeve, after that very carefully remove the red locknut, this is tricky and i needed to use a plier with an inner tube wrapped around the shaft (field spring change means no shaft blocks).
now you can access the springs.

for assembly note that the threaded part for the preload is reverse thread so make sure that thread engages correctly and take up the slack in the springs before continuing.

Sep 10, 2001
Preload is an external adjustment on the RC2X... The very top adjuster is damping, (rebound on the right, high speed compression on the left) preload is done by the adjuster right under the damping adjustments...

Brian

Sep 10, 2001
Exactly... All the adjustments are external now... Plus the preload also adjusts the size of the air chamber in the fork. So adjusting the preload will also aid in bottom out resistance...

Brian

gschuette

Monkey
Sep 22, 2004
Truck
Do you have a 888RC2X? Where do you have your pre load set. I want to get rid of any spring play while not making the fork ramp up too much. I have them set two turns in right now. What are you using?

Sep 10, 2001
I haven't got one yet... If I don't sell my DH bike, I may just sell my current 888 and rear shock and upgrade as our new goodies become available..

Brian

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
kidwoo said:
For vitox too.....

Are you guys seeing broken m3 swingarms or talking about m1s?

since the scene is so small here ive got fairly accurate info, 4 of 13 m3's sold here have cracked in the swingarm. first one to go was within 3 months (rider a total hack tho) the others all around the 6 month mark.
place to check is the rearmost part of the part that bridges the "seatstays" its a very similar problem to what the santa cruz s8 had, if you ever saw one of those go, youll know where to look. the importer had to buy an extra frame to use the rear end as a loaner after intense didnt want to warranty anything without getting the parts sent back from halfway around the globe.....nice.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
vitox said:
problem here is that a lower stack headset still means no adjustment on the crowns and its actually quite hard to find, if any exist at all, a dh worthy headset with a stack height of 26mm, i for one couldnt find one.
Hi vitox,
I'm not sure if you've had a look at the FSA Orbit Xtreme - it has a 25.5mm stack height, and would surely be DH capable.

http://fullspeedahead.com/fly.aspx?layout=product&taxid=65&pid=172

Hope this helps,
Udi