Quantcast

888rc2x / intense m3 issue

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
just to tell evrybody that when installing a 2006 rc2x on 2 different intense m3 med size, you will need a headset with probably around 27mm stack height and no more.

more stack would mean that the upper crown wont have full contact with the stanchion.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
forgot to add that this is in part due to that the upper crown comes into contact with the lowers, 4mm before the crown contacts the dust seal, so you have to run 204mm+ exposed stanchion, they are marked though.
fun thing is that all i saw had different markings on the left and right stanchion, one had a bigger size markings and the other had the same size as the 04 and 05 ones.

banrider

Monkey
Nov 24, 2004
hi there! I was looking for someone that had tested that fork to make a review of it....can you tell us how does it work???, and could you post some pics of the trouble you have with the fork to get a better idea of it?? cheers!!!!

banrider

Monkey
Nov 24, 2004
I have being reading 888rc2x manual and it says that the max. distance between crowns has to be 15.8 cm....so it seems to me that Im going to have the same problem as you as my Scream frame (size 16") has like 16.3cm of headset stack+ headtube length....any cheap headset with low profile??? I have been also considered buying a 66rc2x instead of the 888 but I think that it would be too much difference with my previous fork (Monster T 03) any suggestions appreciated, cheers!!!

Gravity Ho

Chimp
Jan 25, 2005
Why don't you guys buy the original 04-05 crowns and use the top crown from them? I'm sure there are lots of ppl who bought the low-rise crowns for their 888's and have the OEM one sitting in a parts box collecting dust. I know my Friend does.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
Gravity Ho said:
Why don't you guys buy the original 04-05 crowns and use the top crown from them? I'm sure there are lots of ppl who bought the low-rise crowns for their 888's and have the OEM one sitting in a parts box collecting dust. I know my Friend does.

hehe...

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
hey vitox will the fork have this problem on say an 03 sgs team dh. hmmmm. if you got the info send it my way but if ya dont guess ill just have to see. thnks man :thumb:

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
nomad, the answer you can find yourself by measuring the total stack height plus the headtube length on your bike, if its more than 158mm or sixandaquarter inches, youll need to look for the old upper crown.

banrider

Monkey
Nov 24, 2004
mmmm, maybe I will look for another lower stack headset??...the original 888 06 upper crown looks so pimp!!!!!!besides, I suppose that it will be cheaper than buying an old 05 or 04 crown?, cheers!!!

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
banrider said:
mmmm, maybe I will look for another lower stack headset??...the original 888 06 upper crown looks so pimp!!!!!!besides, I suppose that it will be cheaper than buying an old 05 or 04 crown?, cheers!!!

problem here is that a lower stack headset still means no adjustment on the crowns and its actually quite hard to find, if any exist at all, a dh worthy headset with a stack height of 26mm, i for one couldnt find one.

not surprising really because once you factor in the height of the bearings, bearings of a dh capable size, then there isnt much more space left.

banrider

Monkey
Nov 24, 2004
vitox said:
problem here is that a lower stack headset still means no adjustment on the crowns and its actually quite hard to find, if any exist at all, a dh worthy headset with a stack height of 26mm, i for one couldnt find one.

not surprising really because once you factor in the height of the bearings, bearings of a dh capable size, then there isnt much more space left.
Yes I had also thought about it..the idea of putting a lower stack headset means possibly to install a XC headset which is also a no good idea in a bike that weighs like 45 pounds...

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
frznnomad said:
hey vitox will the fork have this problem on say an 03 sgs team dh. hmmmm. if you got the info send it my way but if ya dont guess ill just have to see. thnks man :thumb:
I don't remember the exact #'s but with the e13 reducer cups it is very low. Low enough to run a Boxxer with a flat crown and have clearence to spare.
Can'r remember the stack height with the Cane Creek hs but stock it came with a drop crown.

Vitox,

Have you thought of just facing down the head tube by 4mm, or compressing the fork w/out springs just to make sure how close you are?

M3/888 is the setup that I want for next year.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
repack

i dont have the bikes here now but im certain there was no fit with a pig dh pro, 31mm stack, the other had a cane creek tank hit or jump headset with probably 2 or 3mm lower stack and that one still didnt get the top clamp to grab all stanchion.

facing will probably solve the problem but its a complex and costly and probably voids the warranty (has been used a lot lately for swingarms btw) wheras using an 04/05 OEM crown gives you back some degree of head angle adjustment.

but yea, facing it might be the ticket, check into facing the lower headtube that way you could de-slack the bike a bit as some people are finding it too slack at least over here.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
Well, given my experience with Intense, you could probably just say "What do you mean the ht is too short? Thats how it came!". :D

I'm lucky that I have access to a shiny new ht facer.

banrider

Monkey
Nov 24, 2004
Ufff I dont like the idea of facing the headtube at all....my scream frame has 10 years warranty..hehehe!!, BTW Ive found some tange headset (I think there are made by cane creek too..) with a low stack...like 25mm or sth like that...I suppose I will give them a try and see what happen, if Im not satisfied I will get some upper crown....

Sep 10, 2001
Seems to me the best bet is to use a stock 04-05 upper crown which has a little drop to it... Intense seems to favor a HT a little on the long side... When Zark got a 888 with flat crowns for his M1, we ended having to use the stock upper crown with the flat lower crown.

And like someone else said, find an older stock upper crown for a good price shouldn't be too hard...

Brian

Eurotrash

Monkey
Mar 2, 2002
vitox said:
facing will probably solve the problem but its a complex and costly and probably voids the warranty (has been used a lot lately for swingarms btw) .
are you refering to the chainstays on the M3s going? Ive seen two bikes with miss matching swingarms, one of those I know is because of cracking.
Anyone else had this problem?

banrider

Monkey
Nov 24, 2004
Brian Peterson said:
Seems to me the best bet is to use a stock 04-05 upper crown which has a little drop to it... Intense seems to favor a HT a little on the long side... When Zark got a 888 with flat crowns for his M1, we ended having to use the stock upper crown with the flat lower crown.

And like someone else said, find an older stock upper crown for a good price shouldn't be too hard...

Brian
Hi Bryan!, but dont you think its too little length only 15.8cm between the lower crown and the upper crown of this fork??I suppose this is going to be a problem for more than a dh frame model (at least Intense, Banshee...)so Marzocchi should have thought of offering a crown that allows more distance... my older Monster T 03 had like 19cm of distance!, I will try with a lower headset before buying a older upper crown, because the original 888rc2x upper crown is very nice!!

thaflyinfatman

Turbo Monkey
Jul 20, 2002
Victoria
Fantastic. So after all that ****ing around to get crowns which were low enough, we're now told to buy 04/05 crowns because the 06 top crowns don't reach? Jesus H ****ing christ, that's pathetic.

banrider

Monkey
Nov 24, 2004
thaflyinfatman said:
Fantastic. So after all that ****ing around to get crowns which were low enough, we're now told to buy 04/05 crowns because the 06 top crowns don't reach? Jesus H ****ing christ, that's pathetic.
I totally agree with you!!! :think: :think:

mxer338

Monkey
May 9, 2005
CT
so does that mean it will also be a problem with m1's? cuz i was thinkin of getting one once my frame got painted

banrider

Monkey
Nov 24, 2004
mxer338 said:
so does that mean it will also be a problem with m1's? cuz i was thinkin of getting one once my frame got painted
if you measure your headtube + headset and its more than 15.8cm...yes , you have that problem.

Sep 10, 2001
thaflyinfatman said:
I am gussing that the max stack height is roughly 151mm on the RC2X, much like the previous models were. (don't hold me to that number, it's Saturday morning and I am going off of memory here) We didn't change this due to the large number of drop top crowns we have sitting left over at the shop...

Note, I said you only needed a top crown... They aren't to expensive even when bought new... I bet Go-Ride has a pretty good collection they would be willing to part with...

Look at the differences in HT lengths on frames out there right now.. It's a PITA to have to try and accomodate everybody...

Brian

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
Brian Peterson said:

Look at the differences in HT lengths on frames out there right now.. It's a PITA to have to try and accomodate everybody...

Brian
I understand where you are coming from. Its not like Intense is known for short HT's. Would it be stupid to ask if a Shiver crown would fit? Highly doubt it but figure it doesn't hurt to ask.

If I do end up with an M3/888 I am just going to face the ht down a few mm's. Its not like Intense's warranty is worth much anyway. Or buy the old crown if they are cheap.

Sep 10, 2001
Shiver crown won't work.... Hell, if I don't sell my DH bike, I'll have to buy an extra crown if I want to be able to adjust my HA at all...

Brian

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
Brian Peterson said:
Shiver crown won't work.... Hell, if I don't sell my DH bike, I'll have to buy an extra crown if I want to be able to adjust my HA at all...

Brian
I didn't think it would.

gschuette

Monkey
Sep 22, 2004
Truck
I got my RC2X yesterday. On my medium DH frame with a Pig DH Pro headeset the top crown barely fits. Actually I am being generous saying it fits. So if you have a Giant DH you will probably want a lower headset or old crowns as well. The Fork feels just as nice as any other 888 I have ridden. I am going to wait until the bushings are broken in before I start fiddling with the adjustments.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
We put a RC2X on my friends Stab Supreme yesterday and we had to run his old '05 drop crown in order to make it work (since he wanted to run a 10mm spacer under the crown). He runs a race face deuce XC headset and it has a fairly low stack compared to some and has proven reliable over many months now, much more reliable than the Diabolous he used to run which broke many times.

edit: the new 43mm integrated stem is sick too.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
I'm retarded. All I was thinking was that Shivers and 888 had the same size stanctions, but the whole right-side-up vs up-side-down issue escaped me. I apologize for being an idiot.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
gschuette said:
I got my RC2X yesterday. On my medium DH frame with a Pig DH Pro headeset the top crown barely fits. Actually I am being generous saying it fits. So if you have a Giant DH you will probably want a lower headset or old crowns as well. The Fork feels just as nice as any other 888 I have ridden. I am going to wait until the bushings are broken in before I start fiddling with the adjustments.

ah yea, i fitted one to a giant dh, stack is probably 159mm so its doable but not ideal and certainly no adjustment.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
thaflyinfatman said:

aw cmon its not that bad, RS has different crown sizes too, on the fox there was the same issue, if you make one size that fits all your going to end up making a compromise thats going to make the fork worse for a lot of people, i would actually say that considering the huge amount of 888 crowns being used as paperweights, this isnt such a big deal at all, there will be plenty of drop crowns for everybody.

what i would like to know however is why the s tanchion gets thinner between the crowns, impairing height adjustment (maybe i answered my own question?) .

Sep 10, 2001
Repack said:
I'm retarded. All I was thinking was that Shivers and 888 had the same size stanctions, but the whole right-side-up vs up-side-down issue escaped me. I apologize for being an idiot.
Repack,
Just claim that you had a few too many of what is in your avatar and I'll let you slide... :D

Brian

thaflyinfatman

Turbo Monkey
Jul 20, 2002
Victoria
Brian Peterson said:
I am gussing that the max stack height is roughly 151mm on the RC2X, much like the previous models were. (don't hold me to that number, it's Saturday morning and I am going off of memory here) We didn't change this due to the large number of drop top crowns we have sitting left over at the shop...

Note, I said you only needed a top crown... They aren't to expensive even when bought new... I bet Go-Ride has a pretty good collection they would be willing to part with...

Brian
Yeah fair enough. Guess I overreacted, sorry.

gschuette

Monkey
Sep 22, 2004
Truck
vitox said:
ah yea, i fitted one to a giant dh, stack is probably 159mm so its doable but not ideal and certainly no adjustment.

Exactly. No adjustment is possible and there is still a slight amount of crown above the end of the stachion.

How much is the tool to get the top caps off? I want to adjust the pre-load.