Quantcast

888sl - the saga continues

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
So this is not an SL ATA bash thread, just a means for me to make a decision.
I love my fork! Very plush, awesome damponning bla bla, but I am noticing that "surprise, surprise" that I'm not getting full travel. Not only that, but over the past month I'm getting less of it. I was getting around 7"s on my local DH trail, now I'm only getting 6.5. I've lowered my sfa and Par pressures with no increase in travel.
I've studied Renegades PAR fix article on MTBR, and it all sounds good but there's a small issue I have. He did this with a 66 SL, which has air preload on the RC2 side. 888sl ATA's do not have this air valve. At the end of his post he notes that for the 66 you now use the RC2 side air valve for setting preload as the old SFA valve and PAR valve are only used for bottom out. So....if a do this precedure how will I set my pre-load for sag?????
Has anybody done this to their 2007 888sl ATA's??????
I don't want to solve one problem and create another.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Just pop out the PAR and re-assemble the cartridge topped out. Be happy.

I've done the same mod to my '07 888 SL, my '07 66 SL, and a whole bunch of others too. You don't need to use the right side to set the air preload, it just gives you some more options.

bpatterson6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 1, 2004
Colorado
I replaced the cart with a new one from Marz. Locked the fork so it's no longer adjustable using the set screw and it's been money ever since.
I'm getting full travel. No issues. Just go that route.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Just pop out the PAR and re-assemble the cartridge topped out. Be happy.

I've done the same mod to my '07 888 SL, my '07 66 SL, and a whole bunch of others too. You don't need to use the right side to set the air preload, it just gives you some more options.
I performed this mod a few weeks ago to my '07 66SL, but haven't been able to get it on the trail yet. Do you have any recommendations on pressures, baselines or setup for a PAR-less 66?

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
I replaced the cart with a new one from Marz. Locked the fork so it's no longer adjustable using the set screw and it's been money ever since.
I'm getting full travel. No issues. Just go that route.

Did they warranty it?or did you have to buy it?
I have no wind down issues as I locked it out at 200mm too. Just the full travel issue.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
75-80ish if you weigh 150-180#.

Just pop out the PAR. It's simple, reversible, and gets you acquainted with the innards of the fork.

zahgurim

Underwater monkey
Mar 9, 2005
lolAsia
I had the same problem with my 888SL, and finally just fixed it. Was losing travel, but it wasn't the ATA as I had fixed that problem earlier.

Was losing 2 to 5 mm's every ride, and it finally got bad enough that I took her off and replaced with my Avy from the big bike. Took it apart to see what the problem was.

You most likely have oil in the air cart, due to some seeping past a seal.
Take your air cart right apart, drain the oil. Inspect seals.
Put it back together in the top-out position with or without the PAR. I kept mine, but am now getting full travel. :)
When reassembling uppers/lowers, put just enough oil in the left leg to lube the bushings when held upside down before riding, and you shouldn't have that problem again.

I'm happy, my fork feels sweet again.
The 888SL feels great, when everything is working on it.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
You need to have some small amount of lubricating oil inside the ATA cartridge as well. Unless you like it feeling like garbage after the first good ride on it.

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
I had the same problem with my 888SL, and finally just fixed it. Was losing travel, but it wasn't the ATA as I had fixed that problem earlier.

Was losing 2 to 5 mm's every ride, and it finally got bad enough that I took her off and replaced with my Avy from the big bike. Took it apart to see what the problem was.

You most likely have oil in the air cart, due to some seeping past a seal.
Take your air cart right apart, drain the oil. Inspect seals.
Put it back together in the top-out position with or without the PAR. I kept mine, but am now getting full travel. :)
When reassembling uppers/lowers, put just enough oil in the left leg to lube the bushings when held upside down before riding, and you shouldn't have that problem again.

I'm happy, my fork feels sweet again.
The 888SL feels great, when everything is working on it.
So if I take the cartridge right out of the fork, then seperate the PAR assembly from the air cartridge (ala renegades instructions) Then just put it back together this should solve my problem? Making sure to dump the same quantity of oil that leaked out the bottom back into the top of the fork when I'm done?????
I'm a little paranoid as I'm going to Bromont next weekend and I don't want to screw my fork up. I also want full travel. I do have a 66 I could run if I feck the 888 up so I might give er a go this weekend.

Renegade

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
Remove the PAR piston as others here have recommended, drain any excess oil out of the cartridge as recommended. and rock it. You will not screw up your fork.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Remove the PAR piston as others here have recommended, drain any excess oil out of the cartridge as recommended. and rock it. You will not screw up your fork.
Word. I followed this man's instructions and it went fine. It's very easy once you have the thing open and can see what's what.

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
Thanks for the vote of confidence!!!!! I'm on it this weekend.

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
update: PAR is gone, and a shat load of oild drained out of the cartridge. The procedure was easy and straight forward as promised. A good bunny hop and slam of the fork produced 7.3"s of travel out in the driveway. I can't wait to get it out on the trail.

Thanks for the help!

cheers

knax

Chimp
Nov 1, 2004
germany
i`m suspecting that somehow oil is creeping into the ata cardridge on my 888. when deflating my fork, a significant amount of oil spills out, although i can`t remember putting that much oil into the cardridge when i was taking out the par piston (just a few drops for lubrification).
the point is, i can´t figure out how this should happen. there`s no air leakage and the cardridge is under pressure, so how does oil get past the seals :confused:
any idea how i can fix this problem?