Quantcast

9/10-36 cassette

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Is this a thing that anybody makes? I'm getting pretty close to needing a new drivetrain on my MegaTroll, and I'd love to get a little higher top end. I don't want anything lower than my current 34/36 combo.

Yes, I realize I could go to a Shimano 11-40 11 speed with a 36t/38t chainring and accomplish sorta closeish to the same thing. I'd rather have smaller gears and more ground clearance.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Cool, but not what I'm looking for. Read the post again.

To reiterate, I'm running an 11-36 cassette and a 34t ring. I do not want a lower gear than that. I do want a higher gear. I was hoping to achieve this with a 9-36 or 10-36 cassette.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Isn't the reason nobody makes smaller is the need of different freehub like SRAM xD or capreo for cogs smaller than 11T? I think your only option is a lower gear cassette with a larger front ring rather than vice versa?

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Isn't the reason nobody makes smaller is the need of different freehub like SRAM xD or capreo for cogs smaller than 11T? I think your only option is a lower gear cassette with a larger front ring rather than vice versa?
Well, yeah. But there were a bunch of people (eThirteen, Hope, etc) who were talking about making XD compatible cassettes with smaller cogs, but as far as I know none of those ever got to market. I wanted to see if I'd missed one.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
So you can try and find a canfield bros setup. You could try and snag a hub and then combine a capreo system with a real cassette.

You could wait for the e13 setup, which might eventually see the light of day, but will probably be 9-42 because fuck you 10 speed.

You could see if you can figure out how to get in touch with leonardi racing, and see if they can or do make a 9-36. I've seen a 9-42 10 speed from them, but I do not know the details.

Unfortunately most companies have gone larger, not smaller, so you're really hitting the limit trying to get smaller than 11t.

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
You could use a Sram 11 speed cassette and set the limit screw on the derailleur to not use the 42t cog, and then you'd have 10-36.

And if you don't want to stare at an unused cog, grind the teeth off before install.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
You could use a Sram 11 speed cassette and set the limit screw on the derailleur to not use the 42t cog, and then you'd have 10-36.

And if you don't want to stare at an unused cog, grind the teeth off before install.
Are Sram 11 and Shimano 11 spaced the same?

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Good to know, thanks.

Maybe I'll try a 36t ring with my current 11-36 cassette to see how I feel about climbing with that before I go too crazy hacking something else together.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I've never actually taken an XD cassette apart. Do I understand correctly that the largest cog is keyed into the freehub body, the rest of the cassette slides on, and keys into the largest cog via the holes seen at the outer part of the cog in the picture below, and then the lockring is more of a sleeve that goes through the entire outer part of the cassette and threads on just outboard of the largest cog?

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
Yes, the largest cog on an XD cassette is structural, and has the splines that interface with the freehub. The whole cassette ends up as one piece, though. The smallest 10 cogs don't slide on, they are pinned to the largest. That's why it wouldn't work to take a Sram 11 speed cassette and remove the largest cog.

There's a bunch of pics here, in the instructions for the Wolf Tooth replacement 42t cog for the Sram 11 spd cassettes.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Yes, the largest cog on an XD cassette is structural, and has the splines that interface with the freehub. The whole cassette ends up as one piece, though. The smallest 10 cogs don't slide on, they are pinned to the largest. That's why it wouldn't work to take a Sram 11 speed cassette and remove the largest cog.

There's a bunch of pics here, in the instructions for the Wolf Tooth replacement 42t cog for the Sram 11 spd cassettes.
Okay, pretty much exactly what I thought, just with the interface between the largest cog and the rest of the cassette being more of an interference fit.

Thanks.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
isn't that the opposite problem? he's climbing with a 34/36, he just wants more low end.

Meanwhile, I'm over here with my 30/40t.
It's better for your muscles/joints to go for slightly easier than harder. If you're not racing a little bit of extra speed isn't worth the long term wear and tear on your body.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
whatever, smarty pants

it's still low on the cassette, if your bike is leaning over on the derailleur side, so I could be right. or something.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Moving from a front 34T to a 36T (combined with a 40 or 42T ultra-low cassette) isn't going to mess up your BB area ground clearance very much. I'd happily run a 38T on most trails, if guide-less.

A 38,40 or 42T rear cog (e13, Wolftooth, whatever) is a simpler and cheaper solution than XD or the other vaporware/discontinued 9 tooth cassettes.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Fuck yeah. I don't want a 45, but if they sell the 10t separately, that would be super awesome