Quantcast

9/11/2007: General Strike

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I'm not sure what this would accomplish. A statement to the rest of the world that we're collectively sorry for this Administration?

I think it's pretty clear that anything that anyone does or says falls on deaf ears in DC.

I support the cause in general, but I'm wondering what specifically is the goal?

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
I'm not sure what this would accomplish. A statement to the rest of the world that we're collectively sorry for this Administration?

I think it's pretty clear that anything that anyone does or says falls on deaf ears in DC.

I support the cause in general, but I'm wondering what specifically is the goal?
Statement to our legislative and judicial branches to grow some spine and quit bending over for the executive branch, and that every other politician is in danger of being tainted by the current administration if they even hint at similar behavior. Think of how terrifying this is to every presidential hopeful that still supports the war and our current detainment/surveillence/"security" policies.

Plus it's a day off... what the **** is wrong with you?

RenegadeRick

98th percentile on my SAT & all I got was this tin
I'll admit it was the day off of work that initially piqued my interest.

Here are some choicer excerpts from the thread running at my site for those that can't/won't register:

funkysausage said:
I may be in. What and where do you have in mind?
I have definitely NOT going to work in mind. Also taking a ride... maybe somewhere exotic, maybe somewhere mundane.
Afterwards, we could consume some adult beverages, pre-purchased from as small and independent a microbrewery as possible, while eating some home grown and small farmed vegetables and independently produced meats.

yeti clyde said:
Maybe I could find something to protest in my comfortable middle class town :P
You sure could... try our protest instead.
Where else can you mountain bike, enjoy good beer and tasty food and stand up to tyranny all at the same time?
Plus you score a day off of work. What could be better?

So what is the goal? Well, it is one day where I feed the machine as little as possible. No work, no buying anything.

Is there a specific goal, not really... this is America, and you have the freedom to interpret the goal as you see fit.

RenegadeRick

Maybe I'm being a pessimist, but I'd think re-electing Bush was a bigger statement than any other could be.
Not this again. Here is another article describing the Election Fraud of 2004.

http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/HL0708/S00284.htm

Come to think of it, you are right. When I look at it in that context, it is exactly what you say... a bigger statement about government corruption than any other could be.

:disgust1:

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Wow, there's a lot of fvcking fluff in that 'article'. If the subject matter was so important, why bury it in annoying prose?

I stopped reading cuz it was dumb. Care to summarize?

America voted. Not just for the PotUS, but many congressional seats. Many congressmen who voted for the war were re-elected. That includes many republicans.

America voted. It said, "eh, whatever."

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
Statement to our legislative and judicial branches to grow some spine <snip>
How about WE, the American people, grow a spine?

Who elected the president?
Who elected our senators?
Who elected our House members?

The blame for what is happening in this country can be placed squarely on the shoulders of the American people.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Maybe I'm being a pessimist, but I'd think re-electing Bush was a bigger statement than any other could be.
I could be wrong, but I think it's been 3 years since then.

Slugman said:
How about WE, the American people, grow a spine?

Who elected the president?
Who elected our senators?
Who elected our House members?
True, but we elect them from the options provided and just because we're stuck with them now doesn't mean we have no power to effect their decisions and actions until the next election.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
^ agreed, except that this admin and congress isn't really doing anything different now than the first term. As such, too late and too bad for us.

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
True, but we elect them from the options provided and just because we're stuck with them now doesn't mean we have no power to effect their decisions and actions until the next election.
Compare voter turnout numbers to ratings for any mornic "reality TV" show... now guess what the US People care more about.

Ask a majority of americans about politics and sports - guess which they will know more about.

We're a nation of stupid lazy sheep... and we blame everyone else for it.

SPINTECK

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2005
abc

I think we should go mountain biking as a show of support. Who is with me?

I am organizing a related Chicagoland MTB event here: http://www.renegadesrendezvous.com/rendezvous/index.php?topic=817.msg7008#msg7008 (registration required).

Is anyone else planning to participate? If yes, what are your plans?

This sounds so French- if only we could get the truckers to stop in the streets. We americans are already to dumb, greedy and religious to ever join together. You better be careful or you'll be labeled a terrorist. Just go to work and make the stock holders and elite happy. Unlike other countries, if I get fired I loose my healthcare- yet another way this country is giving me freedom.

SPINTECK

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2005
abc
I thought about that healthcare thing and figured our best bet would be to establish a fund that would give michael moore plastic surgy, tummy staples and lipo. I figure for 120,000$ worth of work he could stimulate 2 billion in additional health coverage for the middle class. Now if only we could make his voice sound like ed thompson.

rockwool

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Filastin
I think the strike is a great idea, go out and show that the opposition exists, it might start of an avalanche of some kind!

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
Statement to our legislative and judicial branches to grow some spine and quit bending over for the executive branch, and that every other politician is in danger of being tainted by the current administration if they even hint at similar behavior. Think of how terrifying this is to every presidential hopeful that still supports the war and our current detainment/surveillence/"security" policies.

Plus it's a day off... what the **** is wrong with you?

:blah:

For those of us who like to live in what we call reality---where people have to work for a living---why would I want to deny myself a couple hundred dollars by bagging work for a day? That doesn't make any sense......it's not a day off unless you're paid for it.

RenegadeRick

:blah:

For those of us who like to live in what we call reality---where people have to work for a living---why would I want to deny myself a couple hundred dollars by bagging work for a day? That doesn't make any sense......it's not a day off unless you're paid for it.
Just think of the money you would save if we stopped wasting your tax dollars on the war.

Sounds rather penny wise and pound foolish if you ask me.

rockwool

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Filastin
You're talking about America right?
Listen man, in the beginning it's the same thing everywhere; the first spark is the hardest. Once some have shown that it's possible the masses will ignite too.

Sure, some people are a bit easier to ignite, like the hootblooded southerners, french etc, but they too need that first spark. Only you can contribute with your part of the fuel. If it's not enough to light the fire is another thing, as long as you tried to light it.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Listen man, in the beginning it's the same thing everywhere; the first spark is the hardest. Once some have shown that it's possible the masses will ignite too.

Sure, some people are a bit easier to ignite, like the hootblooded southerners, french etc, but they too need that first spark. Only you can contribute with your part of the fuel. If it's not enough to light the fire is another thing, as long as you tried to light it.
Thing is, why bother starting the fire when we can just go to a new chimney next year?

Wow, this analogy sucks.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Not going to work to stop the war is like not brushing your teeth to stop plate tectonics.

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
Fighting for Peace is like Fvcking for Virginity. :crazy:

International news of the event:
http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/HL0708/S00383.htm
I'm glad my grandfather fought for peace........I'm not sure that speaking Japanese would work really well with my Southern accent.

But that's OK....when you're done with your drum circle, could you please pick up the trash? The neighbors are starting to complain about all the empty granola wrappers.......:crazy:

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
What do you recommend?
I wouldn't be so arrogant as to recommend a thing.

I used to give a fvck though. Don't get me wrong.

But now? I hope the war spreads everywhere and we get some elbow room up in this motherfvcker.

RenegadeRick

What do you recommend?
What about anyone who (still) cares? :nopity:

I found this link to War is a Racket. It had some key suggestions:

http://www.scuttlebuttsmallchow.com/racket4.html
To summarize: Three steps must be taken to smash the war racket.

• We must take the profit out of war.
  • We must permit the youth of the land who would bear arms to decide whether or not there should be war.
  • We must limit our military forces to home defense purposes.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Dude, you find the most retarded stuff. From your link...
The Japanese, a proud people, of course will be pleased beyond expression to see the united States fleet so close to Nippon's shores. Even as pleased as would be the residents of California were they to dimly discern through the morning mist, the Japanese fleet playing at war games off Los Angeles.
The Japanese should be kissing our ass and sucking our...

seriously, they attacked us, we won, we let them keep their land (not so in most *wars*), we protect them with our military (as part of the deal so they couldn't backstab us), and we made them a force on the planet in economics and technology.

Without us, they'd be far more like China... assuming we didn't keep Japan for ourselves.

Fvck them if they can't take a few rapes and murders from the few psychos in our military.

And as for the summary... championship!

RenegadeRick

:poster_oops: for you.

Your quote is taken way out of context. It was intended to mean that the military should be at home, not on the other side of the world. It seems you missed the setup in the preceding paragraph:

The Pacific is a great big ocean. We have a tremendous coastline on the Pacific. Will the maneuvers be off the coast, two or three hundred miles? Oh, no. The maneuvers will be two thousand, yes, perhaps even thirty-five hundred miles, off the coast.
I am serious here. We are paying to murder people on the other side of the planet. Does anyone have any constructive ideas how we can stop it?

Come on :monkey:s. What can we do? Your lack of objection is interpreted as support by the government and the world.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
Your lack of objection is interpreted as support by the government and the world.
wtf? Did you forget 'Nam?

"Just because we're against the war doesn't mean we're for the other side." - Lewis Black

Lack of objection? All we've been doing is objecting...the problem is that to affect change you have to have power...which is in pretty short supply to the average man. You wanna march on Washington and overthrow the gubment? Have fun with that. I'll just keep telling people I'm from Switzerland when I travel and keep on breathing.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
:poster_oops: for you.

Your quote is taken way out of context. It was intended to mean that the military should be at home, not on the other side of the world. It seems you missed the setup in the preceding paragraph:
I don't think I misunderstood. Two points were made there:
1. The Japanese don't want us there. Not true or if true, too fvcking bad.
2. That the only purpose of fleet training is training. Also not true. A serious, "don't fvck with us" presence goes a long way to avoiding war. If we're training in your backyard, you'll behave.

If the USA doesn't police the world, who will?

Russia? Can't afford it.

France? Don't make me laugh.

Germany? That turned out well last time.

Canada? They'll soon be the 53rd state, so pointless for them to try.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
In many places, they LOVE Americans. Sure, some places hate us. Just sayin'.
Well...not so much that they love or hate...just the conversations that can get started when peeps learn you're US...If I'm in the mood to talk while travelling abroad, fine...Otherwise, I'm Swiss. That *usually* avoids any unpleasent convos, one way or the other...

Anecdote: While travelling in Thailand a few years back, a couple from Australia struck up a conversation...we divulged we were Amrcn's...Then the political questions started, "Wtf were you people thinking electing that tool bag, etc. etc. etc." Rest of the trip we made people guess where we were from. Not once did we get US. We just let them dilude themselves. It was awesome.