Quantcast

9-11 Images for Campaign Ads

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
The Bush Adminstration is using images of the the wrecked World Trade Center, Flags flying amongest the debris and firefighters searching the debris in TV ads that are going to run around the country.

Is that really appropriate?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Originally posted by DRB
The Bush Adminstration is using images of the the wrecked World Trade Center, Flags flying amongest the debris and firefighters searching the debris in TV ads that are going to run around the country.

based on just what I've read, no...

Bush...:nuts:...America

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
I thought that they had said they wouldn't be using that for political gain, or was that just the thing about him landing on that carrier?

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
Originally posted by DRB

all's fair in love & war.

maybe not appropriate, but coming from karl rove, it is to be expected. Just ask john mccain about the effects of mr rove's push polls in the '99 primaries.

in fairness, i don't think the majority of ads will smack of paranoid jingoism. lookie here if you want to waste the bandwidth & see what he's using for an opener

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
I say its VERY appropriate!!!

No matter what the Dem's might wish, 9-11 is a matter of fact and a matter of history. It is revevent to a number of issues in this election.

The President's ad is a message that shows where we've been and where were going. 9-11 has forever changed the way we in the US feel about world affairs and our security.

Tenchiro

Jul 19, 2002
New England
Originally posted by N8
I say its VERY appropriate!!!

No matter what the Dem's might wish, 9-11 is a matter of fact and a matter of history. It is revevent to a number of issues in this election.

The President's ad is a message that shows where we've been and where were going. 9-11 has forever changed the way we in the US feel about world affairs and our security.
Maybe if Bush was more cooperative with the 9/11 Commission, people wouldn't be so upset with him using the images.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Originally posted by Tenchiro
Maybe if Bush was more cooperative with the 9/11 Commission, people wouldn't be so upset with him using the images.
..and what exactly is the misson of the 9-11 commission...???

Isn't the Dim's the ones who were saying that President Bush had advance knowlege of 9-11...??? Humm... one of the Dim's... Dean maybe..???

Why don't they run an ad stating that?

:p

Tenchiro

Jul 19, 2002
New England
Originally posted by N8
..and what exactly is the misson of the 9-11 commission...???
They are investigating governmental failures that led to the success of the attacks on 9/11.

derekbob

Monkey
Sep 4, 2003
Chico
9/11 was the best thing to happen to GWB's presidency, just like Saddam invading Kuwait was the best thing to happen to his dads presidency. Of course hes gonna use it to rally support to him again, but hopefully it wont work this time.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Originally posted by $tinkle
lookie here if you want to waste the bandwidth & see what he's using for an opener
I watched it... the questionable 9/11 material is a five second montage. While it's tasteless, it's not offensive.

BuddhaRoadkill

I suck at Tool
Feb 15, 2004
Chintimini Bog
Looks like the families aren't too happy about the ad.
(Reuters)

Ron Willett of Walnut Shade, Missouri, said he was disgusted when he saw the ads. Willett, who lost his 29-year-old son, John Charles, when planes hit the trade center, said he is now so upset, "I would vote for Saddam Hussein before I would vote for Bush."

If I hire a security guard to watch my house, and someone shoots my dog on his watch - he get's fired. 9-1-1 happened on GW's watch and how that can possisbly make him look good is simply beyond me.

His administrations failure to cooperate with the 9-1-1 commission is just another example of their contempt for the American way of life. Openess in government is essential to democratic tradition ... but then:

"A dictatorship would be a heck of a lot easier, there's no question about it, " [Bush] said.

-- Business Week, July 30, 2001

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
So Kerry and the Dem's can attack Bush and use 911 in there ads and debates......

BUT, heaven forbid he make mention of it in his ad. :rolleyes:

Hypocrits. How fvcked up is that?

This is dumb.

From the spots (not even 5 seconds at a time it seemed) I have viewed they were not dissrespectfull. Of course that is my opinion but to people who really hate Bush I can see it being offensive...offensive against their campaign progress.

Are people over sensitive? Or being over partisian?

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
They are investigating governmental failures that led to the success of the attacks on 9/11.
Monday night quaterbacks at best......

When flights are canceled now people go ape sh!t becuase we "canceled them for no GOOD reason" But as soon as a plane drops from the sky they scream "Why the hell didn't you know about this....you should have."

Damned if you do damned if don't.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Originally posted by RhinofromWA
Are people over sensitive? Or being over partisian?
some people are, obviously partisan, but the others? I think calling them "over" sensitive is offensive. If you lost a loved one in the attack, you might feel like them.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Originally posted by LordOpie
some people are, obviously partisan, but the others? I think calling them "over" sensitive is offensive. If you lost a loved one in the attack, you might feel like them.
However, there are a number of others who lost family in 9/11 that know that a Kerry presidency would be the worst thing ever for the security of the US... and they fully support Pres Bush.

At least Pres Bush went after the terrorists, something that the Dim's greatest president, Bill Clinton, did not do (unless it was to divert attention)...

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
I watched it... the questionable 9/11 material is a five second montage. While it's tasteless, it's not offensive.
actually, isn't it less than 5? The image following the rubble isn't part of the WTC footage (adult at flagpole). At any rate, if this isn't appropriate, how should the ad go in order to represent our national security having been forever changed on 9-11?

certainly more tasteful than the dirty kuffar video, eh?

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Sweeping it under the rug would piss me off. If I lost a loved one and people were telling others to not show the horror of that day I would be pissed. That is how I would feel.

It is history and should not be forgotten. People walk around on egg shells all the time these days.

I would ask family of lost loved ones from that day........do they want the country to forget? Also how are the images used in the campaign...."offensive" It is imagery (go figure it was a commercial for TV) to reflect the trying time of our nation and the bad things that have happened.

Please, don't insult me and the families that lost loved ones that as a country we can't look at the images.

:eek: Sorry that felt a little heavy after typing...

Again so Kerry/Dem's can attack Bush about 9-11 for their gain, but he can't talk about it? :mad: That is a steaming pile of horse pucky :D

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
This happened during GWB's presidency and it is something his administration has had to handle. I think that is what the message is, "Look what we've had to endure together."

Kerry and the Dems have been bashing the living schit out of GWB for the past year. It doesn't matter what GW said in his campaign ads, they were going to bitch about it. As far as the families go, they are overreacting.

I think it's funny that since Kerry has the democratic nomination now, he is asking GW to stick to the issues during campaigning. HELLO!? You just spent a year attacking GW personally and professionally, and now you want to stick to the issues? Oy!! :rolleyes:

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Anyone remember the Simpsons where they end up with the Bear Patrol?

Lisa gives Homer a lesson on specious reasoning. Unfortunately, most of the American public is much more of a Homer than a Lisa.

I've felt safe ever since I saw Bush in a flight suit on the Lincoln with that big "MISSION ACCOMPLISHED" banner behind him...

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Contrast the President's ad with that of (bowl)move(ment)on.org...

Pres Bush eliminated overtime, 2 Million out of work... sad, dreary, droning and depressed...

Tenchiro

Jul 19, 2002
New England
Just face it conservatives/republicans are stupid, it's not their fault I suppose so I am not blaming them or anything. I guess it is more of an inbreeding thing.

I don't know if it will do any good ot point that out, most of them will just furl their ape like brows in a confused look and just get angry and call you a homo or something.

:devil:

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Just face it conservatives/republicans are stupid, it's not their fault I suppose so I am not blaming them or anything. I guess it is more of an inbreeding thing.

I don't know if it will do any good ot point that out, most of them will just furl their ape like brows in a confused look and just get angry and call you a homo or something.

:devil:
If'n you are gonna TROLL, you'll be need'n a rod.....

:p

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Originally posted by $tinkle
actually, isn't it less than 5?
ok, let's say 4 seconds... better?

Sweeping it under the rug would piss me off. If I lost a loved one and people were telling others to not show the horror of that day I would be pissed. That is how I would feel.

It is history and should not be forgotten. People walk around on egg shells all the time these days.

I would ask family of lost loved ones from that day........do they want the country to forget? Also how are the images used in the campaign...."offensive" It is imagery (go figure it was a commercial for TV) to reflect the trying time of our nation and the bad things that have happened.

Please, don't insult me and the families that lost loved ones that as a country we can't look at the images.

:eek: Sorry that felt a little heavy after typing...

Again so Kerry/Dem's can attack Bush about 9-11 for their gain, but he can't talk about it? :mad: That is a steaming pile of horse pucky :D
wow, so much anxiety in your post. I'll break it down...

1. everyone is entitled to their specific feelings; however, you and I did not lose a loved one, so it's insulting to those who did to suggest how they should feel.

2. I agree that history should not be forgotten.

3. There IS a difference between Bush discussing how it affected the country and what he's done to try to make America safer -and- using it in a cheesy advertisement. I'm NOT saying it's wrong to use it, I AM saying there IS a difference.

4. Both parties can and will use whatever they can to their advantage.

You fvcking republicans need to stop this wounded pony act. You sound just as stupid and desperate as the democrats.

Down with Partisanship! Vote for the best person!

PS: I don't know who I'll vote for now that it's Kerry, but if it had turned out to be Dean vs Bush, I would've voted Bush.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
wow, so much anxiety in your post. I'll break it down...

1. everyone is entitled to their specific feelings; however, you and I did not lose a loved one, so it's insulting to those who did to suggest how they should feel.

2. I agree that history should not be forgotten.

3. There IS a difference between Bush discussing how it affected the country and what he's done to try to make America safer -and- using it in a cheesy advertisement. I'm NOT saying it's wrong to use it, I AM saying there IS a difference.

4. Both parties can and will use whatever they can to their advantage.

You fvcking republicans need to stop this wounded pony act. You sound just as stupid and desperate as the democrats.

Down with Partisanship! Vote for the best person!

PS: I don't know who I'll vote for now that it's Kerry, but if it had turned out to be Dean vs Bush, I would've voted Bush.
Yeah I felt I should appologize (and did) in the actual post.......

Re: #1 I can with all honesty say how I would feel if I lost a loved one. Not expereinceing it exacty like they did don't negate my opinion on the subject...and my opinion that their complaints of the use of fotage is wrong. In a non-PC move I say shut the hell up to the families complaining. They don't have a leg to stand on.....they are OVER Sensitive.
#2 Agreed
#3 You are arguing the medium he uses is different. Sit down. There is no differnece in Dem's using it to attack the Pres for their advantage, and him using it for his advantage.
#4 I guess.

Wounded Pony....maybe. I thought the attacks on Bush when cadidate hopefuls were debating to see which Dem candidate would be better was pretty sickening. Hello "head start on Bush" with the disguise of a debate for Dem candidate.

Kerry is an interesting beast....I don't know if I would vote for him, but he is interesting to say the least. He doesn't like gay marriage either....:eek:

Hey anyone catch that Dean actually won a state last Tues? :D lol Kerry lost to a guy who thew in the towel a few weeks prior. It is like losing to a dead person.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Hey anyone catch that Dean actually won a state last Tues? :D lol Kerry lsot to a guy who thew in the towel a few weeks prior. It is like losing to a dead person.
As opposed to our illustrious attorney general, the guy who put a curtain over the naked boob of the statue of justice, and gets anointed with Crisco by his father when he takes office so he can be just like King David.

He actually did lose the election to a dead man. As an incumbent.

God works in mysterious ways...

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Originally posted by Silver
As opposed to our illustrious attorney general, the guy who put a curtain over the naked boob of the statue of justice, and gets anointed with Crisco by his father when he takes office so he can be just like King David.

He actually did lose the election to a dead man. As an incumbent.

God works in mysterious ways...
damn you quoted the one spelling mistake I tried to correct. :D

L_O_S_T

not "lsot"

A. G.? This man? :)

unusualpunk

Chimp
Dec 21, 2003
at your girlfriends house
i got a question, why did bush go from saying he was going to find bin laden, to "operation iraqi freedom? I find that kind of funny? Plus bush said "saddam is going to kill my father". yeah we caught saddam, now what? And for these advertisements about 9-11. makes me sick! He's just feeding the emmotions of the american people. 9-11 was terrible thing that happend, and he is using it for votes. I am sorry if this post affends anyone. Its just all messed up. Open your eyes, and see whats in front of you!

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Originally posted by unusualpunk
i got a question, why did bush go from saying he was going to find bin laden, to "operation iraqi freedom? I find that kind of funny? Plus bush said "saddam is going to kill my father". yeah we caught saddam, now what? And for these advertisements about 9-11. makes me sick! He's just feeding the emmotions of the american people. 9-11 was terrible thing that happend, and he is using it for votes. I am sorry if this post affends anyone. Its just all messed up. Open your eyes, and see whats in front of you!
Interesting take, and a relatively new person here. :D Welcome.

Iraq has been over a decade in the making.....it has nothing to do with 9-11. Though 9-11 may seem to blur into Iraq they are really different issues. We are still looking for Bin'ee and we are trying to turn Iraq over to it's people. Two seperate (yet geographically close) issues.

I am not clicking on the "kill my father" :think: other than wasn't there a plans set up to eliminate Bush Sr. we either found about later or stopped short of it's goal? I don't know enough to comment.....and how does this tie in to what we have been discussing? I probably just didn't get it.....

We should all open our eyes. Dem's are attacking bush for 9-11 for votes. It isn't magically one sided....9-11 is an issue. but the fact that bush used pictures in his add is in no way disrespectful to the ones that died. I guess I just don't see the disrespect that is claimed to be there by others. Both sides are using 9-11 for votes. Challenging and defending the events on and around 9-11.....both sides.

I think I am the only one typing heatedly....wasn't supposed to communicate that way, but it did.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I think I am the only one typing heatedly....wasn't supposed to communicate that way, but it did.
well, I think you kinda killed the thread cuz you're rather insensitive.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Originally posted by Silver
Anyone remember the Simpsons where they end up with the Bear Patrol?

Lisa gives Homer a lesson on specious reasoning. Unfortunately, most of the American public is much more of a Homer than a Lisa.

I've felt safe ever since I saw Bush in a flight suit on the Lincoln with that big "MISSION ACCOMPLISHED" banner behind him...
I hadto golook that phrase up :o:

Thanks for making me learn something today Silver! I was so close to making it.......

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
These ads have one significant accomplishment:

They've highlighted the divide between the real "two Americas":

1) Those who say "Never Forget". We responded to the wake-up call.

vs.

2) Those whose greatest regret about 9/11 was that it showed Bush's leadership qualities. Remember the Dems wringing their hands, whining, "if only Clinton had had such an 'defining moment'".

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
Originally posted by N8

vs.

2) Those whose greatest regret about 9/11 was that it showed Bush's leadership qualities. Remember the Dems wringing their hands, whining, "if only Clinton had had such an 'defining moment'".
The sad thing is that such a tragic day is being hijacked for political gain by anybody.

I am currently reading a history of the Vietnam conflict covering the years from 1945 to 1990 and have just covered the presidential election where Nixon came to power. To see how the Vietnam situation was manipulated is a sobering reflection on this very topic. (And neither party comes out with any credit.)

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Originally posted by N8

vs.

You forgot the third type. Those who realized all along that the world is a dangerous place, (Tim McVay, first Trade center bombings etc) and are pissed that Bush has fed on "terror" and used 9-11 to his advantage more affectively than the terrorists.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Originally posted by Westy
You forgot the third type. Those who realized all along that the world is a dangerous place, (Tim McVay, first Trade center bombings etc) and are pissed that Bush has fed on "terror" and used 9-11 to his advantage more affectively than the terrorists.
Does you Tin foil hat need adjusting...???

:confused:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Originally posted by N8
Does you Tin foil hat need adjusting...???

:confused:
No conspiracy theory here. I just think Bush keeps reminding the worrying soccer moms out there to be afraid of Osama so they forget about all the other problems out there.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Originally posted by Westy
No conspiracy theory here. I just think Bush keeps reminding the worrying soccer moms out there to be afraid of Osama so they forget about all the other problems out there.
What other 'problems' are there of the same magnitude?