Quantcast

9 days til the NFL DRAFT!

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Im so excited..I cant wait...here are my big questions.

1. Will anyone trade up with the Texans?
2. Who is going to be STUPID enough to take Vince Young?
3. Who will be the lucky team that signs Jay Cutler?
4. AJ Hawk....the next Urlacher? Hope he's not a Packer:mad:

...seriously, some amazing talent this year, and if you're into watching college and pro, and cant see how you wouldnt be into all the mock drafts, combine info, seniorbowl workouts etc, being examined all over the TV/Internet. Seriously one of my favorite times of the year.

So here is my challenge to RM. Pick 3 Booms and 3 Busts from this years' draft, and we'll keep track of this thread and pull it up after the season, to see who had good picks.

BOOMS:

AJ Hawk
Jay Cutler
Leonard Pope

BUSTS

Vince Young
Sinorice Moss
Chad Greenway

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I don't pay attention to college football enough to know about a lot of the lesser known players. But here are some random thoughts.

The Texans SHOULD trade down and pick-up a few o-linemen. They don't need Reggie Bush, unless they want him to put fans in the stadium. 2 solid linemen will have a bigger impact on wins and losses than will reggie bush.

It will take a few years, but Vince Young will eventually be on the same level as Dante Culpepper. Never the single most dominant force, but will make a few pro-bowls as the 2nd and 3rd string quarterback. The biggest problem for him will be if he is drafted by the Raiders, which is probably the team most willing to take the chance on him.

If AJ Hawk goes to anyone other than the Lions (who can screw up anything these day), and gets decent playing time, he will be the rookie of the year.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
While I agree that OLinemen are extremely important and underrated, if Bush turns out to be that once a decade, playmaker, next Walter Payton/Barry Sanders/Jim Brown kind of player, you cannot possible pass him up.

That said, I'm hoping my Dolphins pick up an OL. If there's no one worth a #1, perhaps Jackson WR out of Florida? Or the best CB/Secondary on the board.

I wouldn't be surprised if Cutler went before Young. Kid seems destined for HoF.

Unfortunately, I'm going to be on a plane for most of Day One :(

rooftest

Monkey
Jul 10, 2005
OC, CA
I agree that the Texans should trade their pick. Reggie is a "once a decade" player, but he won't be any good for them without a decent O-line.

As for "destined for the HOF"... it's way too early for those predictions. (remember Todd Marinovich)

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
rooftest said:
I agree that the Texans should trade their pick. Reggie is a "once a decade" player, but he won't be any good for them without a decent O-line.
Uhh, you can always draft quality OL in later rounds, through trades, and/or next year.

When will be the next time a potential game-changer is available to them?

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
LordOpie said:
Uhh, you can always draft quality OL in later rounds, through trades, and/or next year.

When will be the next time a potential game-changer is available to them?
Ope, the texans have a decent RB, quality linemen are NOT easy to come by in the least. A good OL can make a very average RB very good. And they also have a good QB who has been sacked in record numbers. They get a good line, and they are a playoff team IMO. Reggie Bush is not the answer in Houston, however, I can also see the argument of taking him. He's that good.

But you know what...Im not going to call him a bust or anything, but I bet he gets nowhere near the production people are hyping.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Good OL are hard to come by, but much easier than a supposed Walter Payton/Barry Sanders.

Call this a dead year in the line of creating a dynasty. Pick up a 2nd & 3rd round OL this year and a 1st & 2nd round OLman next year and tell your fans that they'll be awesome in years 3-10.

That's assuming that the kid is that good. And if he is, you cannot pass him up for anything except a QB who's predicted to be a Joe Montana/Dan Marino.

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
Teams that are hurting for a QB will trade up. There's what, 3 QB's in the top 10? Last years rookie QB's was a joke, maybe this year will be better.

But I agree, a good lineman makes some average players stand out and look good. Wasn't the highest paid free agent this year from the Seahawks (went to the Vikings?). Those guys are KEY to making your team work. If you have no decent blockers there's no point to run the ball. And it's proven you MUST run the ball or you basicly won't win many games.

But I dunno, I watch sportscenter daily and the other sports shows and it seems like there's about 10 guys that'll go in the first round that should be good for the teams that draft them. I'd just like to see these Rookies start in games like in the NBA. Usually the only way a Rookie starts in the NFL is if the team is really sorry OR an injury. Think about it, some Rookies don't get a chance for years to be a starter and others get right to it. I'd just like to see them play in the season and not all this mumbo jumbo pre-season talk.

I think Vince Young will be a major standout. He has a funny throw but the guy can play. Same with Matt Linehart. He's probably the best NFL ready QB but I think he'll have a hard time fitting into something other than a USC playbook. He's pretty good at throwing and such but alot of his College games he had so many other decent players around him it's hard to say he did it all himself. If you took away Bush, Lendale White, and the other stars on that team it really was just a so-so team. You'll see that this comming season for USC.

Remember these are all kids that are 22-23-24. It will take them atleast a solid 3 years to be a big name. Some are flukes though and will make waves this season, others will wait a few years. But either way they're getting paid so what's it matter?

It'll still be curious who's gonna move up. I think this season might show some surprises.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Broncos move up to take Jay Cutler.

They won't need a WR since Ashlie Lelie is gonna be traded straight up for Javon Walker (GB). Maybe the Broncos will throw in a 4-5th round pick.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
i'm curious to see where White will go. i think he's travelling this week, meeting with teams...if i recall correctly.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
LordOpie said:
Broncos move up to take Jay Cutler.

They won't need a WR since Ashlie Lelie is gonna be traded straight up for Javon Walker (GB). Maybe the Broncos will throw in a 4-5th round pick.
He would actually fit in great in Denver, I think. Nothing really wrong with Plummer, actually they're very very similar now that Im thinking about it. Both have cannon arms and can run, yet still make some bad decisions. I think Denver should trade us Champ Bailey and your 2nd round pick for Cedric Benson. You guys need a RB, we need a corner...

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
the Inbred said:
i'm curious to see where White will go. i think he's travelling this week, meeting with teams...if i recall correctly.
USC's RB? 2nd round, maybe 3rd. A shame he tore his hammy :(

BurlyShirley said:
I think Denver should trade us Champ Bailey and your 2nd round pick for Cedric Benson. You guys need a RB, we need a corner...
Denver's the prime example of a good OL and system that can make any RB substantially better... so no :blah:

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
While I do agree that those really special players are few and far between, it's really really hard to pick em. And history shows that linemen picked high in the draft (particularly offensive linemen) are MUCH safer picks than "skilled" players going high in the draft.

Go back a few years to when Michael Vick was the big name in the draft. Everyone compared him to Michael Jordan and the year the Blazers passed on him, then everything else that followed in the NBA. Well, the Chargers traded down (thus passing on Vick) and took Thomlinson with their first pick, then they also go Drew Brese later in the first round. I think that situation is one that Huston should look very closely at.

Yes it's still early in their carrers, but Vick has done basically nothing that really matters in terms of team success, but thomlinson and breese dominated for a couple of seasons. I'm still not sure why they got rid of breese...

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
BurlyShirley said:
Im so excited..I cant wait...here are my big questions.

1. Will anyone trade up with the Texans?
2. Who is going to be STUPID enough to take Vince Young?
3. Who will be the lucky team that signs Jay Cutler?
4. AJ Hawk....the next Urlacher? Hope he's not a Packer:mad:

...seriously, some amazing talent this year, and if you're into watching college and pro, and cant see how you wouldnt be into all the mock drafts, combine info, seniorbowl workouts etc, being examined all over the TV/Internet. Seriously one of my favorite times of the year.

So here is my challenge to RM. Pick 3 Booms and 3 Busts from this years' draft, and we'll keep track of this thread and pull it up after the season, to see who had good picks.

BOOMS:

AJ Hawk
Jay Cutler
Leonard Pope

BUSTS

Vince Young
Sinorice Moss
Chad Greenway
I heard rumors that the Raiders may go for Young, I think it's a Bad move. We don't need another Michael "No one is open so I'll keep the ball again:rolleyes:" Vick (who I think SUCKS!!) in the league.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
And with the 27th pick in the NFL draft, the Carolina Panthers take

Lendale White OR Demeco Ryans OR Leonard Pope.

I like Ryans because he would be the potential replacement for Will Witherspoon. Smart and fundamentally perfect. He is timed a little slow and is a bit undersized.

White intrigues me because I felt during the season that he would turn out to be the better NFL running back compared to Bush but with the weight issues and hamy injury, he is dropping like a stone. But he doesn't get tackled on first contact and always falls forward.

I'd love for Leonard Pope to be available but I'm not sure that he'll make it to 27. 6'7" 258lbs with his skills....

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/ is a good site.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Demeco Ryans is going to be a good NFL LB, I think.

I liked pope at the beginning of the year, but his stock has fallen in my book. It seems like he has the size and speed, but his production isnt where it should've been, and watching the combine, he has agility issues that I think will hinder him from being a great TE. That's not to say I dont think he can be productive, Im just saying dont get caught up in the hype of his size. Also, he probably wont go til somewhere in the 2nd round. For a TE (besides the Maryland guy who will go in the top 10) I like Anthony Fasano out of Notre Dame.

I think we'll be seeing Chicago and Carolina in the NFC championship game this year.