Quantcast

9 Hours of Hilbet and my first XC podium

Konabumm

Konaboner
Jun 13, 2003
Hollywood, Maryland, United States
Camp Hilbert has put on some great races this year - this was their first 9 hour race. I hope the continue to put this event on in the years to come.

9 Hours of Hilbert was a painfest and I loved every minute of it. It started like any other XC race does, with testosterone pegged and everyone trying to get into the woods first. My buddy and I ended up around the 6/7 position going into the woods. That was cool until I realized we ended up behind a roadie pretending to be a mountain biker - he was killing us in the turns. Before I knew it everyone in front of him was gone. Once we got to an open area we passed the roadie and opened up a gap. Before I knew it I was alone - and rolling solo for about 3 hours.

About 3 hours in I saw a guy roll through the pits, I was worried that he might be in a position to knock me down a spot so I worked on wheeling him in. Once I passed him we spent the next hour or so fighting back and forth, it was pissing me off - I would catch and pass him then he would roll through the pit and I would have to start all over again. Eventually he ran out of steam and couldn't keep up - but the nice thing about this battle was it pushed me to overtake the 4th place guy (I didn't know that at the time)

On lap 11 - I was ready to call it a day I was so tired. So I check with officials to see how I was doing and they told me I was in 3rd place. I guess this just that gave me some energy because I felt GREAT on lap 12 and 13 - however lap 14 might have been the longest 6 miles of my life.

I ended up taking 3rd place out of 19 solo men. In all my years of racing this is my first time on the podium in an XC race.

Goals accomplished
1. DIDN'T CRAMP AT ALL
2. Didn't have butt chaffing
3. 84 miles!

Goals not accomplished
1. Nipples still bleeding
2. Horrible post ride stomach cramps

Special thanks to Jeff for helping me top off bottles when he was taking breaks - and to my Coach Dave K!

Here's a link to my garmin data - battery died at 7.5 hours
Link

Here's a link to the official results
Link

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
The stomach cramps are tough - your body is probably pissed off at all the fake food you fed it if you went off gels and drinks. You will either get used to it, or need to modify your eating.

Congrats!

Konabumm

Konaboner
Jun 13, 2003
The stomach cramps are tough - your body is probably pissed off at all the fake food you fed it if you went off gels and drinks. You will either get used to it, or need to modify your eating.

Congrats!
Thanks... and your right. The race was on Saturday and I'm still feeling stomach pains. Yesterday I couldn't get any food down without hunching over in pain. This was the first race without cramps, so that was a huge victory - now I just need to figure out the stomach.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
WOOHOO!!! Congratulations! Stomach is the hardest to train, but it can be done. What were you eating/drinking during the race? I have battled the stomach for a few years and for me, there was a balance that needed to be reached between the acidic electrolyte, gels, etc. that I was taking in and I found that eating some blueberries and almonds really helped (they're basic and helped to settle the stomach). Also, I try to make sure that I eat enough real foods too because I can only stomach (haha) so many gels and use them as more of a last resort or quick on trail food.

As for the nipples, nexcare watertight bandages over them and "suck it up princess" they'll get tough or rub off :busted: Seriously though, get some Lansinoh breast cream (you can get it at Target with the baby/breast feeding supplies or any pharmacy) or something that's 100% pure lanolin ointment or cream. Using this cream before during and after should help.

Konabumm

Konaboner
Jun 13, 2003
WOOHOO!!! Congratulations! Stomach is the hardest to train, but it can be done. What were you eating/drinking during the race? I have battled the stomach for a few years and for me, there was a balance that needed to be reached between the acidic electrolyte, gels, etc. that I was taking in and I found that eating some blueberries and almonds really helped (they're basic and helped to settle the stomach). Also, I try to make sure that I eat enough real foods too because I can only stomach (haha) so many gels and use them as more of a last resort or quick on trail food.

As for the nipples, nexcare watertight bandages over them and "suck it up princess" they'll get tough or rub off :busted: Seriously though, get some Lansinoh breast cream (you can get it at Target with the baby/breast feeding supplies or any pharmacy) or something that's 100% pure lanolin ointment or cream. Using this cream before during and after should help.
Thanks for the input - I race on a completely liquid fuel. It worked just killed my stomach so I'm going to dial back the amount I user per bottle and work on eating a little more. I have a 100 mile race in two weeks so I guess we will see how that works out for me.

As for the nipples I'm going to go with the "suck it up princess"