Quantcast

9 speed shifter, 8 speed casette, no money, can it work?

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
The cassette body is the same width with 8 and 9 speed, but the spacing between the cogs is closer on 9. So with an 8 speed cassette, the 9 spd shifter won't move the chain far enough to get a good shift. You need a new 9 speed cassette. Get something cheap and you'lll be fine with about $30 spent.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Just swap any Sram stuff out for all ****mano and you'll never know the difference. It'll feel like a new Shimano setup.. click...click...crack...boink!...clank...and then that strange growling sound.....
Sorry, J/K, you'd be better off running it single speed than worrying when the chain's gonna thump a gear on ya. Sore knees, you will have... Anyone else find any humor amongst the anger ensued that no matter how ready you are for your knees to slam into the shifters when the chain skips, that you just can't prevent it??? I usually have to laugh demonically through clenched teeth. Then I bought Sram and have ridden stress free for months.
This was a pretty pointless post, huh?

A.P

Monkey
Nov 21, 2005
boston
It will work fine, but not great. Certain gears might jump but you will be able to get by...for something like XC...probably not. Ive broken off my shifter several times and in a pinch had to use a backup 9 speed off of friends for races and it really wasnt a problem.