Quantcast

9 Speed to 10 speed conversion.

Mr. Hankey

Monkey
May 13, 2007
Ohio
I just got a new to me bike, and it is Ultegra 9 speed. I really want to switch to Sram Force 10 Speed stuff, but if it is cheap and easy to go 10speed with Ultegra I will go that route possibly. From what I have gathered, if I go Force I will need shifters, chain, cassette, and rear deraileur, correct? Now if I go 10 speed on Ultegra, does the deraileur need changed? All the listings I see for the deraileur it says 9, 10 speed compatible. So does that mean possibly that my 9 speed Ultegra unit will work for 10 speed duty? If so I will just need shifters, chain, and a cassette, right?

That might be worth it bang for buck wise for me. If I need to buy a deraileur anyway though, it ain't gonna be a Shimano one. My front deraileur should work fine in both situations right?

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
I'm not sure about the 9spd derailleur on a 10 speed cassette, but thinking about it you'll probably be fine. The 9 and 10spd cassettes are overall the same width(well the 10's might be narrower, actually) so I don't see why it won't work; it's the shifter that controls how much the der moves.

Bang for buck you may be better off with Rival. IMO between Ultegra and Rival, performance is almost the same with Ultegra shifting better up front. Weight wise, Rival is only about 100g heavier than Force.

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
The 9 spd derailleur will work. The front could be off a snick, but will also work. With Sram you will have to change the chain, cassette and both derailleurs.

I like my Rival, but doing it again, would likely just put Campy on.

Mr. Hankey

Monkey
May 13, 2007
Ohio
Yeah it looks like I can get Rival group for 500 on egay, and Ultegra shifters alone are 200. So I think I may go that route. I just love the Force shifters though, other than that I like the Rival stuff just as much. I rode a Tarmac SL with Force a few weeks back, it was awesome.

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
Yeah it looks like I can get Rival group for 500 on egay, and Ultegra shifters alone are 200. So I think I may go that route. I just love the Force shifters though, other than that I like the Rival stuff just as much. I rode a Tarmac SL with Force a few weeks back, it was awesome.
I crashed on my Rival and was able to repair it to being nearly new. With Force, I would have been shifter shopping. I learned that Red is not a ton more than Force, so I am glad I fixed mine and will get Red in a bit.

btw - $500 is really just a bit more than shop cost, so use caution with some dillhole on ebay.