Quantcast

90's bands that you can't stand...

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
If there was a jeebus he'd strike down Creed.
Love thy neighbor and turn the other cheek do not apply to Creed.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
just curious as to how you pigeonhole 'grunge'.

to me, it signifies loud, messy guitar rock, influenced equally by Blue Cheer and the Stooges. i love that sound.

i will admit that some of the more prominent major label bands who got stuck w/ that tag don't really fit it, but i do like a lot of the Sub Pop records that came out from '88 to '94 or so.
Loud and messy guitars are good, but rich white kids singing about how much their heroin addiction sucks bugged the crap out of me...imho, it begat Emo.
I cant think of any other grunge bands...I guess the therapy was succesful! Stooges rock, btw. I am with you on that!
I really cant stand NiN either...

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
One of my friends loved Creed, and when I finally told him that I thought it was odd that he was so into a Christian band, he said, "Dude, you must be thinking of the wrong Creed. These guys are always talking about atheism and stuff. You need to listen to the lyrics."

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Loud and messy guitars are good, but rich white kids singing about how much their heroin addiction sucks bugged the crap out of me...imho, it begat Emo.
like who? Alice in Chains? none of the bands i'd considered grunge were either rich kids or sang about their drug addictions.

emo's origins might be traced to DC rather than Seattle (see Rites of Spring, Embrace, Happy Go Licky, etc).

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
311 tops the list. Stupid white bread kids from a suburb of Omaha with a name that came from two of the guys swimming naked together. How did they sell one CD?

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Emo is just goth repackaged for todays kids who are pussier than kids were in the 80's.

dhmike

Turbo Monkey
Dec 20, 2006
Boise Idaho
as a product of the 90's and i think grunge music / bands / flannel should come back . i think every band i liked in the 90's and still listen to was pretty much listed.this has to be the worst thread ever !

maddog17

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2008
Methuen, Mass. U.S.A.
i'd have to vote for Chumbawumba. i was in Vegas for a hockey tournament and me and the team were at the Hard Rock and those Chumba tools were at the bar and so many people were hanging all over them!! i just laughed at them because they were acting like they were gods and s**t, fvcking tools!!

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
It's funny.........growing up in the 90's (as that's when 5th/6th grade & junior high/high school) was for myself most of those bands are what we had for music to listen to. A lot of the bands listed that people hate (which I don't care for the bands either) some of their songs were ok. Songs, not the entire CD, or even the ones that got airplay. I have to argue that much.

It's like you growing up in the 80's, that was your time-era's music. So of course you'll think the 90's stuff sucked butt. I'm sure it's the same though out the other generations as well.

I have to agree with the above, most of the music that has come out of the 90's, and for that matter the current trend of reality TV people just makes you shake your head. I'm still stuck in that 80's/90's stage with all types of music. I'll listen to classics, but with surfing/cycling and the more "extreme" style sports a lot of that music just blends in. A lot of the bands USE to be bad ass back in the day.......then as time has gone on (since people were bashing AFI) they've become more "radio friendly".

But other wise music is music. But I'll admit, anything no doubt gets old fast :)