Quantcast

$93 ebay ti spring?

RD3

Monkey
Nov 30, 2003
PA
Titanium springs with that many coils to them are usually just as heavy as the steel spring. Good titanium springs have fewer coils. Its difficult to find high quality ti springs now.
The best ti springs were the original Obtanium springs, they has the lowest coil count, shortest free length and largest inside diameter. Other good ones were Progressive, Manitou, Avalanche, RCS (still avail).

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
yea i thought it looked too good to be true. im probably going to get one of the stendec sa springs, they seem reasonably priced for their weight. its a shame the new fox sls springs are flouro orange

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
FWIW, I got one of the stendec springs for my dh bike since I could get a 25lb increment.

It's definitely not as light as the ti one I took off. Don't believe the 'light as titanium' comments. It's definitely lighter than steel but I'd put it between to the two, not really directly comparable to ti.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
FWIW, I got one of the stendec springs for my dh bike since I could get a 25lb increment.

It's definitely not as light as the ti one I took off. Don't believe the 'light as titanium' comments. It's definitely lighter than steel but I'd put it between to the two, not really directly comparable to ti.
375# on your DHR? How's that working out?

We weigh about the same IIRC.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I'm 155 ski/pedal season, about 160 in trail building season.

It's good. I like the 25lbs over the 350 I was using.

That's on a dhx with the bottom out damper about halfway in. Both give that bike a little more ramp earlier in the travel.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Cool. I'm like 5lb heavier and have a 350 on a fat shaft RC4. I'm running minimum recommended boost pressure and the BO about 1/4 of the way in. It's pretty good, but I think I'd like it better if it was a little firmer higher up, and I opened up the BO a bit to compensate.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Yeah, shit's just softer up here. There's definitely less need for mid stroke support for choppy stuff.

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
im around 195-200 geared up and using a 450 steel spring. id like to go either a fox sls or sa in 475lb. maybe get the sls since they are 130 and sandblast it and repaint it black, cant stand that orange

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
RD3 is correct for the most part, however RCS and Avalanche don't belong in that list - they are consistently and substantially heavier than the other brands mentioned for a given rate and stroke.

The best titanium springs come from Progressive, Manitou, DSP, Kronos, and the original Obtainium (not to be confused with the new "Obtainium.ca" who just rebadge low-end heavy junk off alibaba). I've actually found these 'good' brands roughly equivalent in terms of mass and quality - and I suspect that the same OEM actually makes all of them except for the original Obtainium (who claimed to make their own in-house).

I own most of these brands, a good place to find them is Pinkbike buysell or occasionally eBay. Common rates like 300 and 350 are still pretty easy to find.

For the uber-nerds, Progressive make the lightest intermediate-rate (25/75#) offerings, Obtainium are the only other 'good' brand that offers intermediate rates, and depending on your shock and spring rate you'll need a different brand to get the lowest mass and best fit. Most of these high-end springs will happily be over-stroked 0.25" without any significant loss in lifespan, even up to 0.5", for the best mass optimisation. The other concern is ID, eg. Progressive only made 1.4" ID springs so they won't be a good fit for CC or RS but work well on Fox, while Obtainium is good for bigger shocks but needs spacers on Fox. DSP offered various IDs.

Absolutely, I wish they'd stop plastering this nonsense around.

Even Fox tried the same BS by weighing a clearly rubbish Ti spring with excess winds alongside a "lightweight steel" of theirs and then publishing that as factual data. Use a good Ti spring and it will always be lighter.

I think the lightweight steel springs are a great idea (better availability, easier to find intermediate rates, cheaper etc) but considering coils are competing with air for weight, I think it's silly to falsely condemn the best option - which still is Titanium!

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
thanks udi. i suppose ill just keep checking ebay and pinkbike until something in the right flavor pops up. CRC has nukeproof ti springs in stock for reasonable prices, wonder what they weigh

Tim300wsm

sensitive teenager
Jul 18, 2015
Pennsylvania
Has anyone tried ti-spring.com? They seem to have good reviews. I looked into a kronos but they want $350 for 1. They come on the dsp shocks for 450

Josef

Monkey
Apr 17, 2013
Has anyone tried ti-spring.com? They seem to have good reviews. I looked into a kronos but they want $350 for 1. They come on the dsp shocks for 450
I have. Significantly lighter than the stock steel spring I took off of my ccdb. I have no idea how they compare to the rest of these Ti spring options though. It was for a 10.5 i2i shock so I was expecting the drop in weight I got.

RD3

Monkey
Nov 30, 2003
PA
RD3 is correct for the most part, however RCS and Avalanche don't belong in that list - they are consistently and substantially heavier than the other brands mentioned for a given rate and stroke.
I have some Avalanche (AVA marked) ti springs that are exactly the same as my Obtanium springs. They are within a few grams weight wise and exact same winding. The only difference is the finish. Craig may have had different suppliers over the years.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
I have some Avalanche (AVA marked) ti springs that are exactly the same as my Obtanium springs. They are within a few grams weight wise and exact same winding. The only difference is the finish. Craig may have had different suppliers over the years.
That looks like a good one to me, the winding is definitely the giveaway. Perhaps they have had different suppliers or my memory is fading. I know RCS are definitely inferior weight-wise though as I've had a few and they have closer windings + higher weights.

thanks udi. i suppose ill just keep checking ebay and pinkbike until something in the right flavor pops up. CRC has nukeproof ti springs in stock for reasonable prices, wonder what they weigh
I should have added that I am probably more particular than most, and for those just looking for "a" weight saving most brands of Ti spring are going to do that task just fine (along with the lightweight steel ones). The Nukeproof ones are heavier for given rates than the best ones in my experience, but doesn't really mean it's a bad spring.

The other thing I didn't mention (that probably matters to more people) is that the good quality Ti springs measure very close to their claimed rate, and I think this applies to some of the "heavier" but still "branded" options too eg. RCS. With the cheap no-name options I think you run the risk of greater spring rate variations. Steve @ Vorsprung measured a few springs for me and (from memory) we got 375 for a Progressive 375, 352 for a DSP 350 and 330 for an RCS 325. So all were quite accurate.

I also forgot to add Marzocchi to my list of good Ti springs, bought one recently and the weight/winding/finish was comparable to the other good brands.

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
what ID should i be looking for to fit a RC4? I found a decent deal on a marz spring and the owner said it is 1 3/8in ID. he also said reason for selling was because it was rubbing the sides of the shock body on a CCDB

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
pulled the trigger on the marz ti spring. when i get it, ill post up weights of it and the steel spring its replacing

Tim300wsm

sensitive teenager
Jul 18, 2015
Pennsylvania
I bought an rcs coil for $74 new on ebay today there is a seller that lists them at 50 starting he had 3 spring rates and usually post 3 springs a week

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
damn thats a good find. i already bought a used marz on pinkbike. post some close up shots when you get it, and weigh it if you have a scale

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
I also forgot to add Marzocchi to my list of good Ti springs, bought one recently and the weight/winding/finish was comparable to the other good brands.
Does this look like one of the higher quality ti springs? I am not sure the proper way to count windings, but I think the ti-springs verson has 10 and this one has 9 maybe? Either way I am pleased, got it for a good price and I saved over 1/3 of a pound

RD3

Monkey
Nov 30, 2003
PA
I took some pics of AVA (Avalanche) and Obtanium springs on the scale for comparison.
AVA 450 x 3 = 309g
Obtanium 400 x 3 = 320g
Both are light!

Last edited: