Quantcast

951 or 303R, opinions?

sxt

Chimp
Jul 7, 2009
I'm looking for lighter,agile and more lively DH bike

here's some thought:
I have M6 now and very happy with it, so the 951 is kinda on the safe side. with similar geometry and similar characteristic to the M6, I'll be happy with it in no time.....hopefully :weee:

I used to have Banshee Scythe(single pivot) for little while.but,I didn't really like the characteristic of single pivot. but, with 303R I heard and read alot of good reviews and most people or friends in it, convince me that the 303R is different to other single pivot bike.basicly,what I dont like about the single pivot, is that they skid alot and harder to control.

help?thanks....

NY_Star

Turbo Monkey
I have a 303r now. i have not had a lot of seat time on the though. From the day and a half i have ridden it all i can say is that it is a completely different bike then my Foes DHS was. That was slow heavy and went where it wanted to go. On the other hand the Yeti is very easy to get where you want it and for the most part it stays there. It also accelerates quite nicely. Maintenance is really easy. You can have the Rail car out, greased, and back in, in under 30 min. Not so sure about the cable routing but it has not failed me so far!

joelsman

Turbo Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
B'ham
the banshee was a low single pivot, the 303r is higher, and will take square edge bumps much better because the initial rear ward arc. it will also pedal better as the chain will be inline or slightly below the pivot. braking will be different also, banshee got brake jack, 303r will squat slightly.

ceng.dog

Chimp
Sep 23, 2007
here's some thought:
I have M6 now and very happy with it, so the 951 is kinda on the safe side. with similar geometry and similar characteristic to the M6, I'll be happy with it in no time.....hopefully :weee:
The two share the same geometry but dont share the same suspension charteristics.
They are almost the opposite to each other - as mentioned in a few other threads already started

I'm wishing I still had my M6 after having the 951 for a few months

strizzle

Chimp
Nov 22, 2009
Denver, CO
I would have to say the 951, I have never ridden it or any intense for that matter but if I could get any new DH bike on the market right now I'd get the 951. To me it seems like the perfect DH bike. The VPP suspension will keep your tires glued to the ground and makes the bike pedal really well. Its pretty dam light and it still has over 8 inches of travel (anything more than that seems overkill to me). Finally its made in America with sick paint jobs and customizable geo, what more could you want???

Alex

sxt

Chimp
Jul 7, 2009
the banshee was a low single pivot, the 303r is higher, and will take square edge bumps much better because the initial rear ward arc. it will also pedal better as the chain will be inline or slightly below the pivot. braking will be different also, banshee got brake jack, 303r will squat slightly.
similar to the Orange,isn't it?except the Railing system

the Orange still skidding around...

sxt

Chimp
Jul 7, 2009
The two share the same geometry but dont share the same suspension charteristics.
They are almost the opposite to each other - as mentioned in a few other threads already started

I'm wishing I still had my M6 after having the 951 for a few months
well, I'm not looking to "Replace" my M6, but looking for a second bike. do you think the 951 is a good acompany for teh M6?

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
so far, we're only have opinions for the 951....where's the 303R owners? :confused:
My 303R is light, lively and agile. There's some good reviews if you do a search. As stated above it has a higher pivot then the Banshee and handles square edge hits very well. I haven't found brake induced squat to be bothersome.

When I bought the 303R the other bike I was considering was the 951. Reasons why I went with the 303R -

• I was buying complete and for the money I liked the Yeti spec better
  • In my experience I've found Intense to have spotty quality assurance and customer service
  • I wouldn't have to wait for it

I DON'T find my self wishing I'd bought the 951, I'm quite happy with the 303R.

sxt

Chimp
Jul 7, 2009
My 303R is light, lively and agile. There's some good reviews if you do a search. As stated above it has a higher pivot then the Banshee and handles square edge hits very well. I haven't found brake induced squat to be bothersome.

When I bought the 303R the other bike I was considering was the 951. Reasons why I went with the 303R -

• I was buying complete and for the money I liked the Yeti spec better
  • In my experience I've found Intense to have spotty quality assurance and customer service
  • I wouldn't have to wait for it

I DON'T find my self wishing I'd bought the 951, I'm quite happy with the 303R.
are comments on the "single pivot is always skid" point of view?I'm getting the freame only

other thought:
-they both are ready on my LBS
-the 303R were abit cheaper($450 different)but,the 303R is the 09 model with DHX 5.0 and the 951 is with RC4
-I have bad expirience with single pivot(Scythe).so,I don't want to repeat making a mistake
-I have no problems with Intense quality.but,very agree with the CS

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
yea...that's another options. but, they need to keep the RRP under $2800.otherwise, it will be kinda too expensive specially for something made it overseas.
Seriously don't go with the oversees/homemade BS. What matters is build quality , not where the bike is made. I've seen some of the bikes made in the pacyfic factory and they are look top quality. I think Banshee will be also made to last more compared to intense. From what I've heard they are trying to keep the price low but I'm not sure what will be the US price as the UK price just went up by 500 pounds. Also the contact with the company is very good and the web feedback about their cs is very good.
If interested the first batch of frames should be her in January.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
are comments on the "single pivot is always skid" point of view?
As I said - I haven't found brake induced squat to be bothersome. I definitely haven't had a problem with skidding due to braking behavior, however I've never had that problem on any bike I've ridden.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
How does the 951 handle under braking? Does it firm up, or remain supple, regardless of "squat" or "jack"?

You'll probably get a straighter frame with the yeti, but the handbuilt qualities of the intense win me over. I would probably pick the 951, but I'm not a big fan of the "rail for rail's sake" and awkward looks of the yeti. On the other hand, I did not enjoy the ride of the last vpp bike I rode, and everything I've heard about the 303r is that it's full of pop and circumstance, so it should prove to be a lively and agile ride, perhaps the opposite of the intense.

but...I don't have the money for either, so it's all on you!

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
it was understanding that the yeti rail "schtick" is more for minimizing/eliminating side loads on the shock. and by having the shock not act as a structural member, you get better suspension performance.
True, but that can also be achieved via a linkage or even strong structural members.

I think the reason they *state* is that it allows them greater control over the leverage ratio...which can be a huge advantage, for sure....I just don't know if the technology is "better" than a bearing/linkage, especially for the stresses and wear that a bike goes through.

sxt

Chimp
Jul 7, 2009
I also find on the Scythe, everytime on the landing after I took a drop off. the rear wheel tend to slide from side by side.it's like "unstable"

any comments on 303R regarding that matter?

slowitdown

Monkey
Mar 30, 2009
it was understanding that the yeti rail "schtick" is more for minimizing/eliminating side loads on the shock. and by having the shock not act as a structural member, you get better suspension performance.
not to mention your shock bushings don't get wonky after 3-4 rides.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
I also find on the Scythe, everytime on the landing after I took a drop off. the rear wheel tend to slide from side by side.it's like "unstable"

any comments on 303R regarding that matter?
We need you to better quantify your issues in order to give you real advice, because sliding out issues sound more like a problem with your tire set-up and riding technique then the bike.

WBC

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
PNW
Out riding their bikes and loving how that beautiful rail glides!
I got in more runs than you this weekend! And I rode Saturday!

Yeti riders have to deal with the Rail that everyone knows requires regular maintenance, and Intense riders have to deal with the exposed, low hanging bearings in that lower link that everyone knows need regular maintenance. Both bikes have grease ports on these key areas for a reason.

A few things I'd say between the two bikes, based on my experience with the 951 and Nate's with the 303:

My Medium 951 in the slack position is longer than Nate's Large 303R in the slack position.

Our builds are nearly identical, but mine is lighter.

Nate's bike has a stiffer rear end.

My bike is way plusher off the top than Nates, but Nate rides faster than I do (but he's also a faster rider than I am - and drinks less while riding).

I'd say the 303 is poppier watching Nate pop around, but the 951 grips better in the back than almost any bike I've spent any time on (other than the M6). The 951 still pops pretty good, and I watched Nate get good grip through the rough stuff. I'm also not as poppy of a build at 254 lbs.

At the end of the day, Nate still smoked me on certain sections he always used to and I did well on the same sections I always used to. It was just like last season when I was on a DHR and he a Morewood, or before that when we were both on Sundays, or before that when i had a Demo and he had a Sunday/Balfa/Giant/whatever else.

They're two of the three most talked about bikes on the market (303, 951, revolt).

The deciding factor I would use: the DHX RC4 is a MUCH nicer shock than the DHX 5.0. I've been blown away by my RC4 and I used to like my DHX5 well enough. It would cost ~ $400 to sell the DHX5 and buy a RC4 - and you'd have to spend the time. They're both great bikes, but it sounds like you'd be riding sooner on the 951. That's why I bought the 951 - I didn't have to wait (as long) for a bike!

time-bomb

Monkey
May 2, 2008
right here -> .
You keep comparing the Yeti to the Banshee and they are totally different bikes. Single pivot is such a broad category and there are so many other factors to consider. You might as well compare a Canfield to the 951 to make your decision since they are both dual link bikes. If both bikes are at the LBS and built, see if you can get a demo ride even if it in the parking lot. At least you will have a better idea of fit and comfort. The last thing you should do is let some other bike's characteristics bias your decision on another bike.

MDJ

Monkey
Dec 15, 2005
San Jose, CA
I have a 303r now. i have not had a lot of seat time on the though. From the day and a half i have ridden it all i can say is that it is a completely different bike then my Foes DHS was. That was slow heavy and went where it wanted to go. On the other hand the Yeti is very easy to get where you want it and for the most part it stays there. It also accelerates quite nicely. Maintenance is really easy. You can have the Rail car out, greased, and back in, in under 30 min. Not so sure about the cable routing but it has not failed me so far!

I guess I can scratch this one of my list. I would use up my yearly maintenance allotment on one rail cleaning.

MDJ

Monkey
Dec 15, 2005
San Jose, CA
Talk about poor maintenance! What bike are you running?
Belive i or not one that is in great shape and rarely ever has a mechanical problem.

Ok, so I was exagerating a little. Lube once a month and air in tires twice a doesn't take quite 30 minutes.

You see, I have this theory about maintenance...

:)

ceng.dog

Chimp
Sep 23, 2007
:pirate: Why? Not that I'm planning to dump my M6 or anything.
Now I dont for one minute pretend I can ride like a pro - but where I'm from the tracks are rough & rocky.
The 951 sits low in its travel, gets caught up on the rocks and doesnt seem to get full travel very often.
I run 33% sag and on a full run of the local trails the bumper stop on my vivid is still 2-3mm away from touching the end of the stroke.
For some reason the chain device tabs on the 951 are in the wrong position to counter the idler from dragging too low.

The M6 doesnt sag as much, but uses full travel (or should I say the rear tire touches the seat tube) often - and corners just as good.

So put simply - I'm a hack, I like the extra travel and the fact the M6 sits up a bit more in its travel.

sxt

Chimp
Jul 7, 2009
You keep comparing the Yeti to the Banshee and they are totally different bikes. Single pivot is such a broad category and there are so many other factors to consider. You might as well compare a Canfield to the 951 to make your decision since they are both dual link bikes. If both bikes are at the LBS and built, see if you can get a demo ride even if it in the parking lot. At least you will have a better idea of fit and comfort. The last thing you should do is let some other bike's characteristics bias your decision on another bike.
well, that the only single pivot I ever had...and I said to my self I'M DONE with single pivot.

not a big fan of Canfield...thanks

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
I guess I can scratch this one of my list. I would use up my yearly maintenance allotment on one rail cleaning.
You don't need to pull off the rail car. All you need to do is inject some grease into the port, cycle the suspension a few times, then wipe off the excess. Done. You can do it all under 60 seconds.

WBC

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
PNW
The 951 sits low in its travel, gets caught up on the rocks and doesnt seem to get full travel very often.
Keep in mind I'm running the RC4 and not the Vivid:
I found that to be a problem when I first got mine, too. I tried running 8.5" and a harder spring rate and less psi/hsc/b.o. and it tracked EXCELLENT when turning, but it jumped kinda weird and didn't feel confident on the steeps.

I went back to 8" and started running a spring that gave me ~38% sag w/ no LSC/preload and then upped the preload to give me 35% sag, then upped the LSC a decent amount to bring the sag closer to 30-32%. It made a big difference. It still doesn't handle rough stuff as well as a bike like the M6, but it still gets good grip, I get full travel when I **** up, and it jumps and pops pretty good.

Caveat:
I think the tradeoff you'll always be faced with is that a linear bike (like the Yeti) won't be as supple on the small stuff or handle the really big stuff as well, but will do better in the middle-ground. The 951 handles real big hits really well, and digs in great over loose soil, gravel, shale, but when it gets chunky it does kick or hang more than certain bikes.

Like any bike, I'm sure it all comes down to which shock works the best with the frame and how you have it setup. The M6 is more glued than any bike I've ridden (maybe next to a Balfa). The 951 seems like a Turner DHR, Session, Sunday, etc. A more everyday bike that still likes to jump and pop, but maybe doesn't handle the rocks as well as a purpose built WC bike. If you want a bike that excels at riding rock gardens, you should skip even the M6 and buy a Superco or Appalache.

Last edited:

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
well, that the only single pivot I ever had...and I said to my self I'M DONE with single pivot.

not a big fan of Canfield...thanks
He was not suggesting canfield but rather suggesting that saying sp bikes will behave the same is like saying the 951 and the jedi will behave the same. Especialy that you had a FR bike that was not really meant to behave like a high speed dh machine.

sxt

Chimp
Jul 7, 2009
ok...I'm about to make the deal....

I made a decision...................951

hopefully it's the right one...thanks guys...

Polini

Chimp
Feb 6, 2010
Hi guys!
What you thing about strenhgt of the 303-RDH? Do it occurs to crack? I'm asking because I want to buy it in USA, and I'm from Poland, so i won't have a warranty.

Last edited: