Quantcast

99-02 monster - question about bushings and seals

Cave Dweller

Monkey
May 6, 2003
Couple of questions.

First, my old monster needs new bushings and seals and i want to just get them from my local motor bike store as it will be cheaper. Does anybody know the size and type of bushings and seals i need to buy? Im after the upper bushing (part 18), lower bushing (part 34), dust seal (part 14) and oil seal (part 16).

And second, i am confused about the lower bushing (part 34) on the monster. From the schematic it looks like it is clipped on the stanchion and the wear surface rubs against the inside of the outer leg, where as the top bushing (18) sits inside the fork leg and the wear surface is against the stanchion. Is this correct??

Thanks

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
yup its a "dynamic" bushing, normally found in inverted forks (risse, hanebrink) and also on the monster.
the idea with this design is that when you compress the fork, bushing overlap and thereby chassis stiffness, increases.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
vitox said:
yup its a "dynamic" bushing, normally found in inverted forks (risse, hanebrink) and also on the monster.
the idea with this design is that when you compress the fork, bushing overlap and thereby chassis stiffness, increases.

...but becomes a pain when you dent the uppers or over-tighten the fork clamps.

Cave Dweller

Monkey
May 6, 2003
DH biker said:
Woah where did you get that diagram. I need one for my Shiver.
Here you go :cool:

Don't have the part number list though. Kind of annoying that marzocchi don't make these diagram anymore.