Quantcast

'99 GMC Yukon....any comments?

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
My '97 POS Dodge Grand Caravan is on it's last leg. A buddy of mine at work is selling his '99 Yukon for well below blue book and i'm kind of interested.

Any of you monkey's own one? Any reliability issues? i've searched a lot of different sites for the same info and found mostly good feedback but none of them were for vehicles over 100k miles. i've already had it checked out by a trusted mechanic and it's cherry....i just don't want to run into something later on that is a common problem.

so anyway...if you have one or have had one or know someone who has...let me know what you think.

and don't give me the gas guzzler crap until you've tried hauling a family of 5 ,including 3 kids in car seats, around in a honda civic my caravan only gets 3 mpg more than the yukon. :mumble:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I know a lot of people who have Tahoes (98-02) and seem to like them quite a bit. If the mechanic says it's good to go, then you should be set. Make sure your getting a good price, then your set.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
blue said:
Don't they have like, 3 folding rows of seating? :cool:
Cop cars have those plastic seats that you can get all kinds of messy and just hose down later. My local PD has gotten a buch of police spec Tahoes recently. Just flip on the sirenand get to the trails way quicker:oink:

aggrorider

Monkey
Sep 20, 2005
My parents bought one back in either '96 or '97 and from what I remember they loved it. No problems what so ever. They just wanted to trade it in for the crappier suburban. (soccer moms in town kind of forced that one)

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
cool, thanks for the info. i was just a little concerned since it has over 100k miles...but it has been meticulously maintained. at least those engines are A LOT easier to work on than the crammed engine of my van :mumble:

bigdrop05

Monkey
Mar 26, 2005
Go for it. I read some reviews & it seems to be solid.
Once the state send me my title {been 5 weeks now} on my Dodge 4x4,then i'm getting a 4-door Tahoe probably.

Yeah, how DO you work on those van engines all crammed in there!

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
manimal said:
cool, thanks for the info. i was just a little concerned since it has over 100k miles...but it has been meticulously maintained. at least those engines are A LOT easier to work on than the crammed engine of my van :mumble:
You know the drivetrain is good because it hasn't changed all that much over the years. As long as the little things have been looked after, you should be good to go.

With that many miles, the things that you may have issues with are things like leaks, squeaks, and rattles. Those are easy though.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
this just in.....

if i can fit all 3 car seats in an subaru outback wagon then i think we're going to go for that instead. MUCH better on gas mileage and i can get into one for less than $6k. i'll be able to pay it off a lot quicker and i know subaru has a good track record for reliability :thumb:

any comments on those?

.:Jeenyus:.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 23, 2004
slc
manimal said:
this just in.....

if i can fit all 3 car seats in an subaru outback wagon then i think we're going to go for that instead. MUCH better on gas mileage and i can get into one for less than $6k. i'll be able to pay it off a lot quicker and i know subaru has a good track record for reliability :thumb:

any comments on those?
My familys 99 Legacy Brighton (lower level of outback) had held up quite well through all 147, 000 miles on it, and me driving it of late.