Quantcast

@('_')@ Satuuuuuuuurday GMT @('_')@

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Rise and shine beautiful people!

Off we go house hunting. First up is a 4.5 acre farm established when we were still under control of the crown. Second is a relative young-in, having been built at the turn of the 20th century.

Let's see what kinds of fun these two options hold.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
We've been put into a lock down, ontop of the lock down!

<insert Xzibit yo dawg meme here>

@slyfink I'm guessing yall can't cross the river to Quebec now? :(

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Over the last few months I have been on an epic journey trying to find new pads. I have some 200(2-3ish) Dainese pads that I love and have had forever, but — finally — they are really starting to fall apart.

BE13B6C5-129A-4957-A467-1F680937D6D3.jpeg

I got vast bang for buck out of these, they have saved my flesh and bones many many times and [insert drunken pirate stories here].
They have red stains in the plastic from a crash onto rocks in Sedona at least a decade and a half ago that despite being scrubbed and washed probably many more than 100 times still won’t come out. Bits of them have come off and been repaired.
Now nearly 20 yrs later all the silicon grippy bits on the straps is finally starting to fall off and the mesh is fairly fucked. I have to say despite this, fundamentally the pad parts themselves are still basically nearly as effective as when they were new.

Anyway, they don’t look like modern pads, and I wondered what I was missing. Therefore I’ve been trying on every pad I can, all these big squishy D3O things, the Rector style copies, these sleeve types, all this stuff. Not many hard shells left which, really when we ride at 30kph+ often over pointy rocks, I’m not super into. Sliding and jagged point resistance are both important in energy dispersal factors IMO.
Also what is up with the lack of shin protection? In a lot of crash situations, Spuds or no, shins are frequent energy absorbers of some sort, (as they probably should be on the ‘bones that heal easily’ scale), but I prefer to cover them at least.
So after literally and metaphorically going round the houses a very large number of times I found Dainese still make such a pad under the MX range now. Mesh is gone but ergonomics are still on point, and they now pivot and protect the top of the knee too. So whatever,
Dainese got my repeat business basically 20 yrs later:

DD0367FA-1F87-49A0-A4A6-222085BD6890.jpeg

Same same but different.:banana:

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Here. Front sway to put onto Subaru today as a priority item. Then working on finally installing cabinets for MIL. Should feels like someone punched it hard post shot #2.

Yesterday was a bit of a shitty day in that my boss's wife died in a car accident. I was talking with him a few weeks ago about how they were happy the youngest kid was finally off to college and could start actually having fun again, then this. Really at a loss for how to even reach out beyond the standard "my condolences" email/text.

Edit: I need to caveat yesterday being an entirely shitty day. @Pesqueeb and I hung out all day working on the Subaru. It was nice seeing him, as I don't think we've seen each other in probably 18 months. We got bested for nearly two hours by a blown fuse and, once again, getting the steering wheel controls to work. That's some voodoo magic shit. We did determine that my mic had failed, probably due to damage during the prior install (not us). Getting that resolved should allow for functioning bluetooth calls. He helped narrow down a lot of stuff I never would have figure out on my own and made things work that I never could have on my own. It was nice driving home with a functional headunit. He also figured out how my speakers are to be installed, so that should help make a big forward jump too.

Last edited:

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Mornin’, blokes.
Got the Altitude mulletized, the XTR/DT 511 wheel was perfect, and such a bargain.
Can’t wait to get it out on some rocks.
Might go road bike in GTNP with the fam today.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Hello all

MIL is visiting. Virtual birthday party for 6 year old happening today. Eyeing snow report for Winter Park for tomorrow.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Today I need to not lose my camping spot while we drive elsewhere to ride.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Yesterday was a bit of a shitty day in that my boss's wife died in a car accident. I was talking with him a few weeks ago about how they were happy the youngest kid was finally off to college and could start actually having fun again, then this. Really at a loss for how to even reach out beyond the standard "my condolences" email/text
That's heartbreaking. Take him some food.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Just had the “Sprinter Vs. Trailer” debate with wifey.
She likes the trailer for just this reason.
My ridiculous response?
“Let’s tow the trailer with a Sprinter!”

(kidding)
Petrol Transit, so the engine still works after a few years.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I ended up going to the coworker's mom's wake this morning and I am glad I went. Then I got home and ran 6.25 miles. I'd ride this afternoon but that time will be spent dog shopping at the local adoption place. We've got two pooches we're eyeing. I am hoping to at least spin the bike trainer later to get some sort of pedaling in.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
did a group ride at the whitewater center with the 11yo and the team he's riding with. kid's doing really well for being on my wife's ca. 2000 rockhopper. i hope he keeps liking it.

now off to replace one of our fenceposts and a few rails in the back yard. le ugh.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Kid has a runny nose abd didn’t sleep well, doesn’t want to eat today. Big dog has some stomach issues going on barfed all over the patio and then tried to start shit with the little dog, got his ass kicked and a nice cut as result. Took the opportunity to bail on all that to go get the vax in the boonies, wish the Taco was more fun to drive because getting here could have been a blast in something more German and fast.

That's heartbreaking. Take him some food.

^That. If you’ve got a good deli near by, go grab a sandwich/cold cut platter and some pastries, that will never not be appreciated in a time of grief

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Ran into work for a little bit to make some barrel nuts for the rear brake on the Turner out of stainless. The initial aluminum ones I made didn't work so hot.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Spring coaching a fall sport during a pandemic = TIRED!!! Weather really hasn't helped this week either! Had a game this chilly morning and won in double OT over a team we should have beaten without needing OT. We weren't playing a turf game (we practice and play on a bumpy field and have forgotten how to deal with turf lately). Next week is a LONG week of games too (double header Monday and Thursday and games Tuesday and Wednesday too). I am grateful the girls get to play, but boy does it make for a long day for me! I left my house multiple days this week at 7am and get home at 8:30-9:30pm. We are having a solid season though and makes me hopefully for a run at playoffs next fall (provided we can have them).

Time to put up some kitchen backsplash! Yeah me!

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Yesterday was a bit of a shitty day in that my boss's wife died in a car accident. I was talking with him a few weeks ago about how they were happy the youngest kid was finally off to college and could start actually having fun again, then this. Really at a loss for how to even reach out beyond the standard "my condolences" email/text.
That sucks for sure! Definitely reach out to him! I would send food or send a card with a gift certificate for food to be delivered. When my uncle passed unexpectedly in his sleep this fall I couldn't go but my parents did and I had a breakfast platter delivered to his house one day and subs another day and my mom and his kids still tell me how much it was appreciated because they weren't thinking about food prep etc.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Results of house shopping today.

yeah-its-gonna-be-a-no-from-me-dawg.jpg

One of them was next door to a house that had a 15' cinderblock castle turret. Same house had a garage with the front half of a Chrysler Le Baron attached to the second story. :rofl:

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
We've been put into a lock down, ontop of the lock down!

<insert Xzibit yo dawg meme here>

@slyfink I'm guessing yall can't cross the river to Quebec now? :(
yup. incredibly bummed. It sucks because I live about 300m from the river (the border). There's really only one riding area on this side of the river (Kanata Lakes), which is decent, but not the Gats. I'm pretty much cut off from my lifeline. Having both boys at home and trying to homeschool them is one thing, but not having the ability to escape and recharge is another thing.

I keep trying to convince myself that we've been through this before, that it wasn't the end of the world, and that we got through it. But I'm not sure I believe myself at this point.

:(

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Front sway and endlinks installed. While I had the wheels off I did rotate the camber as steep as I could and it was still pretty shallow. Intrigued to see just how bad it is come Tuesday. Doing under car work when it's cold and the snow on it is melting down really isn't pleasant. I had two space heaters running in the semi-insulated garage to keep it as a reasonable as possible and I only managed to get it up to 52*. They were directly behind me, so that helped, but damn am I sore.

Also got one rear speaker and dynamat installed. When testing zones on the audio, that door vs. the other rear door, there is a very clear and positive difference. Whole lot less tinny and better low end tone. Passenger front is next, as the door card is currently off and you can't get out of the car in its current state. Beyond the speakers, hopefully that helps some with road noise as well as acting as a general insulation.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Whipped up some epoxy in order to try and make my cracked LB rim air tight again. I’ll let you know in 24 hours or so.
LB may have a shitty crash replacement program (10% off of retail) , but a new rim is only $150 or so. A WAO is $450...

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
yup. incredibly bummed. It sucks because I live about 300m from the river (the border). There's really only one riding area on this side of the river (Kanata Lakes), which is decent, but not the Gats. I'm pretty much cut off from my lifeline. Having both boys at home and trying to homeschool them is one thing, but not having the ability to escape and recharge is another thing.

I keep trying to convince myself that we've been through this before, that it wasn't the end of the world, and that we got through it. But I'm not sure I believe myself at this point.

:(
That sucks. Hang tight!

How are the bike paths in the city these days, over run with people now?

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
I’m doing doing stage one on Panko crumbed buffalo wings in a few minutes, hopefully ready for afternoon tea/beers.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Finally starting to clean up after all the construction and even just vacuuming, with moving small furniture around as I go, has crushed me. Maybe this second shot kicking your ass really is a thing...