Quantcast

A bad day for America

Discussion in 'Politics & World News' started by sanjuro, Dec 19, 2005.

1. sanjuro

sanjuro Tube Smuggler

Rep/Likes:
    7 / 0
    Bush's annoucement that unchecked eavesdropping is ok and the Congress allowing Alaska drilling is a bad day for America.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. narlus

narlus Eastcoast Softcore
    Staff Member

Rep/Likes:
    16 / 21
    next administration, please!

3. stinkyboy

stinkyboy Plastic Santa

Rep/Likes:
    1 / 0
    If only the fugger would finally have to face the music.

I can dream can't I?!

:rolleyes:

4. kinghami3

kinghami3 Future Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    6 / 0
    Can't get a bj but you can spy on American citizens all you want. Ahhh, the hypocrisy, it burns, it burns!

5. Ciaran

Ciaran Fear my banana

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 8
    Please. Like finding out that the government is spying on is is a surprise! Anyone who is truly surprised by this is being naive.

6. kinghami3

Rep/Likes:
    6 / 0
    It's not a surprise, but the fact that they're just brushing it off now that it's proven annoys the hell out of me. It's that concept of the gov't spying on its own citizens that stories like 1984, Fahrenheit 451, and Equilibrium come out of.

7. Pau11y

Pau11y Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    6 / 0
    Ok, I'm a moron. I know what's 1984, but what's Fahrenheit 451 and Equilibrium?

8. reflux

reflux Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 2
    My favorite part is how this (spying) is done to protect the freedoms and liberties of all Americans.

9. kinghami3

Rep/Likes:
    6 / 0
    Fahrenheit is a book about a future when you aren't allowed to own books, and Equilibrium is an indie sci-fi film, kind of a cross between the Matrix and 1984 and stars Christian Bale. They all follow the same theme of the gov't spying on its citizens.

10. Westy

Westy the teste

Rep/Likes:
    437 / 2,769
    The worst part of the Alaska drilling is the only thing it will do is give more money to the oil companies. There is not enough oil up there to make much of a difference in supply.

11. stinkyboy

stinkyboy Plastic Santa

Rep/Likes:
    1 / 0
    But how apathetic are Americans to have the president admit to a felony and not fugging care. If it's a BJ, then everyone want to see some fat chick and a soiled dress.

I guess it's going to take the 2nd amendment disappearing to wake people up, but then again, no one seemed to notice it happening during the Katrina disaster...

:help:

12. Ciaran

Ciaran Fear my banana

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 8
    That's the really sad thing I think... that Americans don't care. Personally I am not sure what I can do other then vote for someone else. I am trying to work on it though. I may not know how to enact meaningful change but I am willing to learn (as long as it doesn't get me killed. No offense, but I am not dying for your asses :D ).

13. Changleen

Changleen Paranoid Member

Rep/Likes:
    1 / 4
    Every chick who sees me is dying for my ass.

14. stevew

stevew unique white person

Rep/Likes:
    248 / 2,315
  15. narlus

narlus Eastcoast Softcore
    Staff Member

Rep/Likes:
    16 / 21
    wait, the ACLU is against it, so it must be OK. :rolleyes:

16. Silver

Silver find me a tampon

Rep/Likes:
    10 / 0
    Goddamn hippie faggot jews always criticizing Bush...

17. sanjuro

sanjuro Tube Smuggler

Rep/Likes:
    7 / 0
    Ok, if people aren't going to take this seriously, I am going to N8 post some anti-anti-Bush rhetoric....

18. Changleen

Rep/Likes:
    1 / 4
    Sorry Sanj. We took it at least as seriously as the American public though...

19. MudGrrl

MudGrrl AAAAH! Monkeys stole my math!

Rep/Likes:
    7 / 0
    yah, Equilibrium

:drool: :drool: :drool:

20. stinkyboy

stinkyboy Plastic Santa

Rep/Likes:
    1 / 0
    I've donated graphic design for a couple local politicians. Neither one of them won, but once they do dammit, I'm on the power fast track!

:rolleyes:

21. fluff

fluff Monkey Turbo

Rep/Likes:
    3 / 0
    Have your graphics made the difference?

22. stinkyboy

stinkyboy Plastic Santa

Rep/Likes:
    1 / 0
    Have your posts?

23. fluff

fluff Monkey Turbo

Rep/Likes:
    3 / 0
    You missed my point.

Though the answer is clearly no (for my posts).

24. stinkyboy

stinkyboy Plastic Santa

Rep/Likes:
    1 / 0
    No artwork + A web presence, professional brochures, cards, signs and press releases = Better

25. fluff

fluff Monkey Turbo

Rep/Likes:
    3 / 0
    Cool - I was just being sarky - given that the candidates that you have helped have subsequently lost. :sneaky:

I guess they were losing anyway though...

26. N8 v2.0

N8 v2.0 Not the sharpest tool in the shed

Rep/Likes:
    17 / 149

Where have you been?

Carter and Clinton used the NSA to eavesdrop during their administrations. Why cry about it now.

27. N8 v2.0

Rep/Likes:
    17 / 149
    Hell, Clinton even created Echelon.

28. stinkyboy

stinkyboy Plastic Santa

Rep/Likes:
    1 / 0
  29. sanjuro

sanjuro Tube Smuggler

Rep/Likes:
    7 / 0
    Wait, you are saying the government spied on us? I don't J believe EDGAR you HOOVER!

Not that is any different, but what they did was illegal. If caught, someone would go down, even if it is a Ollie North. Bush legalized spying.

30. pnj

pnj Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings

Rep/Likes:
    12 / 40
  31. sanjuro

sanjuro Tube Smuggler

Rep/Likes:
    7 / 0
    Judge Reportedly Resigns Over U.S. Spy Program
    By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
    Filed at 11:20 a.m. ET

WASHINGTON (AP) -- A federal judge has resigned from a special court set up to oversee government surveillance, apparently in protest of President Bush's secret authorization of a domestic spying program on people with suspected terrorist ties.

U.S. District Judge James Robertson would not comment Wednesday on his resignation, but The Washington Post reported that it stemmed from deep concern that the surveillance program Bush authorized was legally questionable and may have tainted the work of the court.

An aide to Robertson said the resignation letter submitted to Chief Justice John Roberts was not being released. Robertson did not step down from his district judgeship in Washington.

White House press secretary Scott McClellan would not discuss Robertson's resignation or the reasons cited for his departure. ''Judge Robertson did not comment on the matter and I don't see any reason why we need to,'' McClellan said.

Robertson was one of 11 members of the secret Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court, which oversees government applications for secret surveillance or searches of foreigners and U.S. citizens suspected of terrorism or espionage. Robertson's term was to end in May.

''This was definitely a statement of protest,'' said Scott Silliman, a former Air Force attorney and Duke University law professor. ''It is unusual because it signifies that at least one member of the court believes that the president has exceeded his legal authority.''

Ruth Wedgwood, a Johns Hopkins University professor and defender of many Bush administration policies in the terror war, said that service on the special court is voluntary.

''If Judge Robertson had strong feelings that he thought would interfere with the needed objectivity, one could understand his decision,'' she said.

The court was established by Congress in 1978 and its members, appointed by the chief justice, do their work in private.

Quoting colleagues of Robertson, the Post said the judge had indicated he was concerned that information gained from the warrantless surveillance under Bush's program subsequently could have been used to obtain warrants under the FISA program.

Robertson was appointed a federal judge by President Clinton in 1994. Chief Justice William Rehnquist later appointed Robertson to the FISA court as well.

Robertson has been critical of the Bush administration's treatment of detainees at the U.S. naval prison at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, most memorably in a decision that sidetracked the president's system of military tribunals to put some detainees on trial.

Robertson's resignation was reported hours after Vice President Dick Cheney strongly defended the surveillance program and called for ''strong and robust'' presidential powers.

Cheney -- a former member of congress, defense secretary and White House chief of staff under President Ford -- said executive authority has been eroding since the Watergate and Vietnam eras.

''I believe in a strong, robust executive authority and I think that the world we live in demands it,'' Cheney said.

''I would argue that the actions that we've taken there are totally appropriate and consistent with the constitutional authority of the president. ... You know, it's not an accident that we haven't been hit in four years,'' the vice president said, speaking with reporters Tuesday on Air Force Two en route from Pakistan to Oman.

Republicans said Congress must investigate whether Bush was within the law to allow the super-secret National Security Agency to eavesdrop -- without warrants -- on international calls and e-mails of Americans and others inside the United States with suspected ties to al-Qaida.

''I believe the Congress -- as a coequal branch of government -- must immediately and expeditiously review the use of this practice,'' said Sen. Olympia Snowe, R-Maine.

Snowe joined three other members of the Senate Intelligence Committee, including Nebraska Republican Chuck Hagel, in calling for a joint inquiry by the Senate judiciary and intelligence committees.

Bush and his top advisers have suggested senior congressional leaders vetted the program in more than a dozen highly classified briefings. Several Democrats agreed said they were told of the program, but did not know the full details and had concerns.

32. Changleen

Rep/Likes:
    1 / 4
    What the f*ck does 'coequal' mean? He just means 'equal' doesn't he? Glad to see people want answers though.

33. Reactor

Reactor Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    6 / 1

Unless I'm mistaken they went to the Foreign Intel court to get warrants for the surveillance. After it's easy as pie to do, you get 72 hours AFTER YOU START your surveillance to get a RETROACTIVE COURT ORDER. Il' Deuce is completely blowing smoke on it being too time sensitive to bother getting a warrant. the Same law that created the FI court, also specified that all surveillance of this type had to got through the court, all. Not if the wind blowing through Il' Deuce's head makes the wind chimes ring, All.

34. stevew

stevew unique white person

Rep/Likes:
    248 / 2,315
    This person does not seem to think there was anything wrong with it.

35. Pau11y

Pau11y Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    6 / 0
    Kewl, thanx. I'll have to check 'em out.

36. N8 v2.0

Rep/Likes:
    17 / 149
    Here's a tip:

Don't call known Al_Quadea members on your phone and you will be ok.

37. Changleen

Rep/Likes:
    1 / 4
    So are they listed as AQ members in the phone book now? :oink:

38. Reactor

Reactor Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    6 / 1

Funny, one of the article three judges on the FISA court resigned in protest. I would think as a judge on the FISA court, he would know the law better than some pundit.

"FISA does not anticipate a post-Sept. 11 situation. What was needed after Sept. 11, according to the president, was surveillance beyond what could be authorized under that kind of individualized case-by-case judgment. It is hard to imagine the Supreme Court second-guessing that presidential judgment."

So his justification is that the law didn't anticipate every possible future act? The fact remains, Il Deuce didn't even try to use the FISA court, Instead he unilaterly decided it was a waste of time to justify his wiretaps. So much for the rule of law, Our country gets so much more like the people we're fighting every day.

39. steelewheels

steelewheels Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 0
    spys, wiretaps, sabotage, illegal jails, and so on. All these are just being used to dived the human race more and more till its breaking point. War only profits the rich and as long as they can keep the people suppressed they will continue to profit from bloodshed. There is no god in world relations only money.

40. Changleen

Rep/Likes:
    1 / 4
    You may or may not like this, from onlinejournal.com: