Quantcast

(a belated) merry xmas to me (contains fiber)

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
Yes because the distance between the top swingarm pivot and the bottom linkage pulling pivot changes,and to avoid having another pivot/bearing on the chain stay to keep it stiffer the chain stays are designed to flex up and down a small amount,they are wide and thin so they only alow a small amount of flex up and down.
They pull on the bottom link that then rotates around a pivot and pushes the horizontal Fox forward.

KROBS34

Chimp
Jan 30, 2007
Yes because the distance changes and there's no pivot between the top swingarm pivot and the bottom linkage pulling pivot the chain stays are designed to flex. They don't flex much and are really wide so they only flex up and down.

there is no flex needed in order to activate the suspension which I think is what those guys were wondering.

jcook90

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2006
Connecticut
Yes because the distance changes and there's no pivot between the top swingarm pivot and the bottom linkage pulling pivot the chain stays are designed to flex. They don't flex much and are really wide so they only flex up and down.
yeah thats what i thought, cuz otherwise it wouldnt move. it'd be like taking a kona 4-bar and welding the pivot at the wheel so that it doesnt move. it jsut wouldnt move unless it flexed, right?

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
yeah thats what i thought, cuz otherwise it wouldnt move. it'd be like taking a kona 4-bar and welding the pivot at the wheel so that it doesnt move. it jsut wouldnt move unless it flexed, right?
It is entirely possible for that suspension design to work without the chainstays flexing. Although because I don't own one I couldn't tell you whether they actually do flex or not.

KROBS34

Chimp
Jan 30, 2007
when there is pressure on the rear wheel the lower chainstay pulls the linkage away, pressureing the fork on the other side of the fulcrum.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
It is entirely possible for that suspension design to work without the chainstays flexing. Although because I don't own one I couldn't tell you whether they actually do flex or not.
Wrong. As I've tried to explain, the distance from top of swingarm(pivot) to bottom(link pivot) changes it needs some give. If it was aluminium for example and you welded a rod between the top and bottom it would not work and pop the rod welds.
Look at xy9ines top photo. Picture removing the shock and pulling the swingarm all the way back so the linkage is then flat(hypothetically),then you should be able to see that the distance between top and bottom of swingarm would have changed.

jcook90

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2006
Connecticut
if it didnt flex, it'd form like a triangle basically between the 3 pivots. you cant move and change the angles of the triangle without changing the length of atleast one side of it, whcih is why theres flex in the swingarm to allow it to move.

thaflyinfatman

Turbo Monkey
Jul 20, 2002
Victoria
No it's not. Any linkage has to have effectively 4 bars (which entails either 4 pivots or at least one member that bends or changes length) in order to be able to move, as jcook90 has pointed out. The Lahar only has 3 except that the chainstay can flex vertically. It doesn't have to flex far, but it does have to move.

Punter

Chimp
May 8, 2006
mine left nz wednesday on a 3-5day courier. i just finished building a couple of thrasher wheels for it, got some pimp carbon bar ends too. i take pictures of my one mid week.

xynines is a bit more bling. except no carbon bar ends like me. and he has mass produced by 12yr old kid forks. no offence

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
sweet bike man, where abouts are you in england? i would really love to see one in real life...

oh yea, your 40 look really slammed. doesn't look right.

Punter

Chimp
May 8, 2006
sweet bike man, where abouts are you in england? i would really love to see one in real life...

oh yea, your 40 look really slammed. doesn't look right.
i run my 40's at 7inches. so no prob. i'm getting a flat stem this week so will prob raise the forks and change to 7.5inches.

if you wanna see one i'll be at all british NPS races and also innerliethan next wkend for scottish champs, there will be two there.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
two in england? wow... pity nps is 60 quid just for entry, i got to get a danm job...

sorry to sound like d1ck but i seriously think your 40 is way too low, looking at lahars web site and xy9s lahars, their forks aren't that slammed.... fox 40s change travel internally and you dont need to change the crown height for different travel settings. i am prolly wrong but just checking man...

Punter

Chimp
May 8, 2006
1. Xynines forks are boxxers.

2. not trying to sound like an ass, but i know my ****, with 7 inch you can run them dropped as the min distance between seal and bottom crown(tyre/crown) is different from 8inch. also, the head tube on a lahar is small, so you can run them low.

cheers for the worrying. but keep your knowledge to bikes that you know, not everyhting is standard out there, and the Lahar is a big eye opener to that.

two in england? wow... pity nps is 60 quid just for entry, i got to get a danm job...

sorry to sound like d1ck but i seriously think your 40 is way too low, looking at lahars web site and xy9s lahars, their forks aren't that slammed.... fox 40s change travel internally and you dont need to change the crown height for different travel settings. i am prolly wrong but just checking man...

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
Try 7.5,I tried mine at 7 then went to 8 and even added a small spacer to the steerer. My rear is over sprung though so I need to soften it as it probably makes the front seem lower as it dives more. At static ,dropped to min on 8 she's above 64 head angle,I think 65 but I'll check later.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
i worried coz i have 40s too, and i referred to the lahar on lahar's web site, and xy9's coz i am familiar with the boxxers too, 40's slammed and boxxers with med crowns slammed have very similar amount of stanchion sticking out on top to the top crown...

and with 40's when its slammed for one travel setting, it would be the same for every other setting. only adjustment made is internally.

just had another look at the lahar web site and there is another bike which has the fork as slammed as yours, obviously they run some bikes raised all the way on purpose... maybe to raise the bb?

peace,
adam.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
40s ajustments are internal but it does affect the hight,even at static.
Changing 40s from 8 to 7 drops them at least an inch. They look slamed because the headtube is small and the headset is intergrated,the bottom crown is still only at it's lowest setting.
I'll put up a pic of mine tomorrow at 8" with 40s on front.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
I may be wrong. Your moving the spacer into the top out section though that reduces the travel by making the shaft shoter effectivly making the whole fork lower.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
yupp, so once you set the fork slammed at one setting, the change in exposed stanchion length would be due to the rearrangement of the internal spacers. so still would be slammed for all the other settings.

Punter

Chimp
May 8, 2006
I'd say its due to the integrated head set and small head tube. You can run them down like that, or up, depends how high you want your front end. I like my front end lower so slam them. steepens up the HA on a bike which has a pretty slack HA.

bingo

i worried coz i have 40s too, and i referred to the lahar on lahar's web site, and xy9's coz i am familiar with the boxxers too, 40's slammed and boxxers with med crowns slammed have very similar amount of stanchion sticking out on top to the top crown...

and with 40's when its slammed for one travel setting, it would be the same for every other setting. only adjustment made is internally.

just had another look at the lahar web site and there is another bike which has the fork as slammed as yours, obviously they run some bikes raised all the way on purpose... maybe to raise the bb?

peace,
adam.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
2. not trying to sound like an ass, but i know my ****, with 7 inch you can run them dropped as the min distance between seal and bottom crown(tyre/crown) is different from 8inch.
Hmm - I don't run 40's, but I think that's incorrect.

Changing travel involves rearranging the internal spacers on the spring side, and for whatever travel you reduce via the spacers - the fork will drop the same amount (because effectively you are lowering the topout point).

Basically - that means that you SHOULDN'T be able to lower the bottom crown any further just because you change the travel. The minimum height for the bottom crown should stay the same.

Punter

Chimp
May 8, 2006
Hmm - I don't run 40's, but I think that's incorrect.

Changing travel involves rearranging the internal spacers on the spring side, and for whatever travel you reduce via the spacers - the fork will drop the same amount (because effectively you are lowering the topout point).

Basically - that means that you SHOULDN'T be able to lower the bottom crown any further just because you change the travel. The minimum height for the bottom crown should stay the same.

my bottom crown never moves. i lover the forks in the crowns to suit the travel i'm running +10mm. if I'm running 7 inches i run 188mm clear from top of seal to bottom crown. thats how i get to run them low. if i run 8 inches travel then i drop the forks in the crown another 25.4mm, i dont move the crowns ever.

bansheefr

Monkey
Dec 27, 2004
yeah that sounds about right... i've run fox forks in the past and that is how they work... i'll be running a 40 this year and was considering trying it out at 7or7.5" on my morewood in its slackest setting

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
just been out to cwm carn for the weekend testing this.
shes a beauty
good to see you've got an m9 back in your hands. been off the bike for a couple weeks (damn holidays in the tropics), and i'm itching to ride. now that we've got a few on the board, it might be time to fire up a generic lahar thread, so there's a singular source for all things lahar (a festering hotspot of fanatic zealotry)...

TomBo

Monkey
Jan 13, 2004
Calgary,Alberta
Banshee - Thats how I run my small Izimu 7" 40, slackest shock mount. I am 5"9' and can't turn as well as I would like (read go faster then I should and then can't make the turn) this seems to be the best set up for me.

.:Jeenyus:.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 23, 2004
slc
good to see you've got an m9 back in your hands. been off the bike for a couple weeks (damn holidays in the tropics), and i'm itching to ride. now that we've got a few on the board, it might be time to fire up a generic lahar thread, so there's a singular source for all things lahar (a festering hotspot of fanatic zealotry)...
Are you ever going to post a pic of your complete bike?

(or i am just an idiot, and missed it)