Quantcast

A bit a new bling

chriscarleton

Monkey
Aug 4, 2007
Portland Maine
Nice, I'm anxious to see what these wheels are all about and how they hold up to dh riding. Let us all know. The two questions I have on these wheels is do they stay true? and how prone the rims are to dings and dents?

slowitdown

Monkey
Mar 30, 2009
that takes 2 things: (1) a fat wallet; (2) a lot of courage. I wouldn't trust a Crank Bros wheel on a garden path stroller. but hey, they have great customer service!

LittleBIGjumP

Monkey
Jul 15, 2006
Gold Coast OZ
Well,

Last Monday rode them and they are fine. Stiff as and felt solid, time will tell. And no I am not butter smooth rider, more point and go. At 100kg I am sure I will test them for all you lighter guys to get the green light.

Regards,

LBJ

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
I have seen those a couple times and can only think that they should come with a life insurance possible.

Good luck to your face.
That's the type of thing that everyone kept saying when the GT Fury came out, and it's been a tank of a bike for those who have ridden them.

I have faith in CB's, but those wheels are still "AM" wheels. I'd like to see how they hold up to DH'ing.

time-bomb

Monkey
May 2, 2008
right here -> .
There seems to be a bit of skepticism regarding these wheels. Just curious if anyone else had a chance to ride them or has seen any fall apart? I haven't seen any complaints about them on other boards yet (I could have missed them however) and they seem to be holding up so far for the few pro riders that are on them. Anyway, just curious if anyone has any information to substantiate their concerns other than "they look like they might break or be weak because they have fewer spokes" kind of thing.

Hopefully they perform as good as they look. If so, I'm gettin' me some as soon as I have the money. They be lookin' nice. :biggrin:

Prettym1K3 - good point, people are saying the same about the new Dorado too.
SeatPost - what's a "life insurance possible"?

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Eh, we're just e-speculating, as usual.

On that note, I bet they're pretty strong/rigid. The huge center ridge on the rims will do a good job of support...but it also adds rotating weight right at the end of the wheel...can't imagine that's a great idea, even if the overall weight is lower. Plus, those rims are probably pretty expensive to replace (when) you have to.

Plus, those rims are probably pretty expensive to replace (when) you have to.
I called crank brothers last week because I am keen on these and was wondering the same thing and they told me $70 a rim and $2 for spokes,now I dont know if that was cost because I quoted dealer cost to her on the Fulcrum rim that had me worried about these being costly but even if it is retail would still be inline with what the top end of a Mavic or DT Swiss would be. If you want to talk expensive from the prices BTI is showing to replace a rim on the Fulcrum DH wheelset it would be over $200 retail each and spokes are super expensive as well.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
I wouldn't worry about the e-scientists claiming they will fail catastrophically the second you look at them. Fundamentally, they're sound (and quite clever). CB always seems to miss the details though, so the things I would be worried about are:
- spoke tension (which shouldn't be an issue if they use threadlock)
- bearing quality/design (which won't fail catastrophically... it'll just feel like crap)
- freehub design (again, won't fail catastrophically, but would suck)

Keep an eye on those things and let us know how it goes.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA

On that note, I bet they're pretty strong/rigid. The huge center ridge on the rims will do a good job of support...but it also adds rotating weight right at the end of the wheel...can't imagine that's a great idea, even if the overall weight is lower. Plus, those rims are probably pretty expensive to replace (when) you have to.
Whether the ridge is inside or outside of the rim, rim weight is rim weight. It's roughly the same place (actually an inch closer to center of rotation). If the rim weighs 600g, it's no different than another rim that weighs 600g. Shouldn't be a hard weight to hit, think about how much strength you gain by not drilling 32 holes into your rim.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I did not know that the rim weight was 600 gm. I agree that if that's what it is, then fine, but it looks like they took a regular rim and added a center ridge, so I assumed it would be heavier.

It's friggin e-speculation, no need to get hostile.