Quantcast

A bit of help please~knee/shin guards.

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
Ok so I am in the market for a new pressure suit.

I currently have one of these:http://www.crfsonly.com/catalog/images/661-06-pressure.jpg

But I want something a little bit more flexible and or breathable.

I was looking at this:http://sixsixone.com/Catalog_661Bike.aspx?id=1045284f-9660-47ab-839d-e5406dcc47b8&product=73c7aa18-b7c8-45c3-a878-e971d4274cee

I like how it is more breathable, and I have read it is more flexible and form fitting on other threads and forums, I also appreciate the fact that is has a wider spine guard.

I am just wondering, is it worth $200 of improvement when I already have one?

I decided not to go with dainese (too pricey) or something like a fox launch suit (lacks sternum protection and doesn't look like the pads are as strong as the 661). I guess I am open to suggestions to rock gardn.

Next on the plate is knee/shin guards.

I have these:http://sixsixone.com/Catalog_661Bike.aspx?id=54d204c6-725a-4d9e-979b-8ed67b816d4e&product=21ad13c7-f0fe-4ebc-90a3-0d4db83f6318

They are worn out and beat down, it is time for new ones. They were slipping but I got the slip overs that prevent slipping.

I am looking at these 2 options, after reading other threads:
http://www.brianlopes.com/albums/2006RandomPic2/TLD_Lopes55_Protection.png
http://www.sixsixone.com/Catalog_661Bike.aspx?id=b8a0c6c4-60c1-44b3-83b6-a578b5b2270e&product=c2bb0970-0fce-4da7-ab02-24d753a38a62

So I am unsure what is the best choice between the two.

Thanks guys for your help in advance. I am sorry to serve up so many questions.

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
Bumpity Bump.

Thanks transcend. I read your review, and I saw you said TLD fixed the stitching, but I still read complaints elsewhere. I will probably end up going with them anyways.

Anyone know anything about the 661 pro pressure suit?

Any help or suggestions would be great.

aj_gilbs

Chimp
Oct 8, 2008
Salt Lake City, UT
I always hear that the lopes guards slide down. I've always recommended the regular TLD Combat guards, usually the shortys. But that's my opinion.

Either way I'm sure you'll like them better than your previous guards. I know how your old ones are because I've used those too!

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Friend of mine had a pro pressure suit. He seemed to like it but said it wasn't quite as high quality as the top-level ones ie dainese. i have a second hand dainese suit and it's great if not a tad bit small. A lot of people love the rockgardn one, so I would add that to your search. I was going to get the Pro Pressure suit before I bought the Dainese from the guy who sold me my bike. I think the fit on those is similar to the dainese, but the lower level suits are not.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Oh yeah, I wouldn't necessarily upgrade to the pro suit if you already have a standard one. I don't think the quality is a huge leap, although the material is better (it's like a jersey and mesh). I would suggest that you get a decent set of elbows and save the suit for hot days, or get one of the small suits and wear elbows in addition. Another friend of mine has a fox suit and he seems to like it, and that's on the same level as the standard pressure suit.

gixme

Chimp
Jun 23, 2008
Maine
I love my Rockgardn Flak Jacket. It's one of the few body armor options with removable elbow pads and spine pad. It is very breathable as well. With 10% off at Universal Cycles it is a great deal too. I bought my Roach FR knee/shin guards based on reviews at MTBR and they have been great too. They don't slide down and they are very comfortable.

ryebread

Monkey
Jun 20, 2007
Central Oregon
Picked up a 661 Pro end of last season. Way cooler than my 1st generation Rockgrdn. Only gripe is that the chest protector isn't held down in front. Occasionally rides up and hits my throat.

Have a pair of Lopes knee/shin. Kind of a pain to have to take off shoes to slide the sleeves on. But once on, everything stays put for me.

Had a pretty good crash and completely ripped the fabric and padding between the knee cup and shin guard. They're held together by the trim now. Walked away with no injury but wasn't stoked to see them torn up. Better than my knee though.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
hey I'd like to make a comment AGAINST the roach/RF knee/shins. Yes, mine never slide down, but that's because they cover the entire length of my leg down to my foot. Less "svelte but adequate protection" and more "put more plastic on 'er". They've slid down on me in a crash, and never seem to sit quite right. Plus, the stitching sucks and I'm not hard on my gear. I still have life left in them, but I'll be looking for new pads soon just because I'm not satisfied.

nh dude

Monkey
May 30, 2003
Vt
Fox launch shin/knee guards are very comfortable and don't move. I just put a third season on the same pair. The pads are in decent shape still minor dings and unstitching. They are well ventilated (the inside/underside of the shin pad rests .5" off my shin, air flows in and out) and the knee pivot has great mobility. The X up config works well. I like the looks of the new shorty model, but knowing when rocks get spat up your shins are 100% covered is nice. Also the knee cup goes up a bit into your shorts and onto your lower quad.