Quantcast

a/c install help

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
In MA, an electrician needs to do that sort of thing. It may be different in CT.
If what needs to be done is clear and straightforward, turn off the power and do it yourself.

C.P.

Monkey
Jan 18, 2004
SouthEastern Massachusetts
MtnBikerChk said:
who's responsibility is it to "tie down the low voltage wire on the air handler?" (btw, I have no idea what that means)

our a/c guy says its the electrician and the electrician says its the HVAC guy.

WTF??!!
It is typically done by the HVAC guy. He is responsible for the control and interlock wiring for the unit - which is the part that controls the unit - not provides power to it.This includes the low voltage control wiring for the air handling unit you speak of. BUT - read your proposal/contract from the both of them - if there's any exclusion from either of them providing "interlock or low voltage control wiring" you might have to pay for this "extra".

Maybe a final payment can be withheld for said tying back of low voltage wiring...sounds like a code issue to me (inspector wants it tied back) (zip ties)

EDIT: Here's another way of looking at it - find out who wired the thermistat. whoever wired that - is responsible for all of the low voltage wiring to the unit - including the tying back of the low voltage control wiring at the air handling unit.

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
MtnBikerChk said:
who's responsibility is it to "tie down the low voltage wire on the air handler?" (btw, I have no idea what that means)

our a/c guy says its the electrician and the electrician says its the HVAC guy.

WTF??!!
Yikes! Just make sure whoever does it, knows what they're doing...last thing you want is an eletrical fire destroying your new house.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
C.P. said:
It is typically done by the HVAC guy. He is responsible for the control and interlock wiring for the unit - which is the part that controls the unit - not provides power to it.This includes the low voltage control wiring for the air handling unit you speak of. BUT - read your proposal/contract from the both of them - if there's any exclusion from either of them providing "interlock or low voltage control wiring" you might have to pay for this "extra".

Maybe a final payment can be withheld for said tying back of low voltage wiring...sounds like a code issue to me (inspector wants it tied back) (zip ties)

EDIT: Here's another way of looking at it - find out who wired the thermistat. whoever wired that - is responsible for all of the low voltage wiring to the unit - including the tying back of the low voltage control wiring at the air handling unit.
It seems to me all low voltage "stuff" should be handled by the HVAC installer.

Again I agree with CP re-read thru your contract.

C.P. What do you do?

C.P.

Monkey
Jan 18, 2004
stosh said:
C.P. What do you do?
Right now - Account Executive for Energy Management Company
Invensys (Energy Management)

In a previous couple of jobs, one I was a construction project manager for large hotel chain for all their large east coast construction renovation projects (think Plaza NY and Copley Plaza Boston) Fairmont Hotels - that and a couple years running a service dept for the NorthEast region of USA for York International Corp been at this kind of HVAC/Construction/Operations now sales stuff for 10 years...wow cant believe it's been that long already...

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
It's usually the electricians responsibility to deal with getting 110v & 220v to where you need it. It's the HVAC guys responsibility to hook it up to the power source. Low voltage wiring that pertains to the unit is the HVAC contractors responsibility. If a low voltage converter need to be installed for the HVAC contractor to tie into, that's a electrician.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
C.P. said:
Right now - Account Executive for Energy Management Company
Invensys (Energy Management)

In a previous couple of jobs, one I was a construction project manager for large hotel chain for all their large east coast construction renovation projects (think Plaza NY and Copley Plaza Boston) Fairmont Hotels - that and a couple years running a service dept for the NorthEast region of USA for York International Corp been at this kind of HVAC/Construction/Operations now sales stuff for 10 years...wow cant believe it's been that long already...
wow, thats some resume'

I called the dept of consumer protection and spoke to an inspector. Apparently, my HVAC guy is absolutely correct. His license does not permit him to do low voltage wiring on a brand new unit. That is the electrician's job.

If there is an existing unit, he can work on that one.

My electrician is a master electrician and should be the one to do it.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
MtnBikerChk said:
I called the dept of consumer protection and spoke to an inspector. Apparently, my HVAC guy is absolutely correct. His license does not permit him to do low voltage wiring on a brand new unit. That is the electrician's job.

If there is an existing unit, he can work on that one.

My electrician is a master electrician and should be the one to do it.
that makes not sense!

You can't wire a new unit but you can wire up an old one?

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
While HVAC installers can install 24v control wire, the city electrical inspector has to inspect their work.

In fact, all low voltage wiring falls within his area of responsibility... including alarm wiring, home audio wiring (as in speakers wire etc)...

C.P.

Monkey
Jan 18, 2004
Wow what a PITA. This sounds like either confusion, or someone's gettin raked over the coals...(you)

So, couple questions, Are you acting as the GC on this work? (hired each sub with a separate contract) If so - you need to recheck their quotes (if you have them) for clarification of what scope each contractor owes you. If each one excluded low voltage wiring...you need to get a solid quote for this extra - don't let them do it T&M - you'll get screwed - All in wiritng if you will.

If your not acting as a GC for each sub, who did you Hire for the "turn Key" installation for the AC system? It seems like this party is now responsible for delivering you a turn key install - don'tch'a think? Hold them accountable till the job is complete!

C.P. said:
Wow what a PITA. This sounds like either confusion, or someone's gettin raked over the coals...(you)

So, couple questions, Are you acting as the GC on this work? (hired each sub with a separate contract) If so - you need to recheck their quotes (if you have them) for clarification of what scope each contractor owes you. If each one excluded low voltage wiring...you need to get a solid quote for this extra - don't let them do it T&M - you'll get screwed - All in wiritng if you will.

If your not acting as a GC for each sub, who did you Hire for the "turn Key" installation for the AC system? It seems like this party is now responsible for delivering you a turn key install - don'tch'a think? Hold them accountable till the job is complete!

I suppose I am the GC! The electrician is a friend of my father's so I trust him - although I do think he's wrong. The A/C guy is a contractor for my oil company. We got 3 quotes, his was the lowest, I checked his license and insurance and we decided to go with him. Unfortunately, we didn't get a signed "contract." We got a signed proposal - which we never counter signed. I KNOW, I KNOW.

I've spoken to both of them this morning and they both assure me they won't leave me hanging and we will get this working. The electrician was there today and hopefully finished it and this will all be over.

Believe me, if it were 80 degrees outside right now I wouldn't be so calm :)

BillE

Chimp
May 8, 2004
Franklin Ma
I installed a/c units for 12 years and I would do the control wiring. The electricians would run the wire. This would save me the aggravation of having to return and replace a blown transformer because the electrician miswired the system.