Quantcast

A challenge issued

Spud

Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Idaho (no really!)
O.K. Monkeys (Gawd I love saying that) I need some feedback please.

I just installed a Manitou SX-R shock. The compression spring tuning knob (left knob) is extremely tight and requires a LOT of force to rotate. I can still rotate the knob about 4 full turns, with intermediate clicks about every 60 degrees of rotation. I am rotating the knob, not the underlying nut. The compression dampening knob feels fine but the compression spring knob is way tight (I'm talking bruised thumbs, no way my wife could turn it... etc)

Suggestions? This is a new fork, never been ridden on. I am eager to ride on this but don't want to foul it.

Let me throw down the gauntlent of challenge. I also fired this off to Answer's tech service this morning. Can the monkeys or paid guys give me a (good) answer first).

And they're off….

Merwin5_10

Don't Mess With Texas!
Jul 6, 2001
Austin, Texas
There's one of two things that is causing this problem.

1. You're bottomed out and there's no more adjustment left. This will be easy to discover. See if you can back the tension off.
This will make your fork softer.

or

2. There is something wrong with the fork. The SX-R is a very easy to adjust fork. Escpecially if its new, it should turn like butter. If the first try didn't help, I'd return it to the shop you got it from and have them look at it.

The SX-R can be adjusted by my 5 year old daughter when its working properly. Its possible that maybe just the knob is fouled. You should not be having these types of problems with a new fork.

Spud

Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Idaho (no really!)
Thanks Merwin - I walked over to my LBS at lunch and played with some the same forks over there. They were as you described.

Good info!. You beat Manitou with an answer... Please remember to collect your parting gifts as you exit the lobby.:p

Thanks again.

Spud

Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Idaho (no really!)
Took the fork apart last night. It all looked good. My adjuster assembly was in the middle of the range, but was still very difficult to adjust - certainly not stripped but damned tight. Strange.

Will give it a couple of weeks to break in then start crying to the retailer.