Quantcast

a cold & working out?

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
skip the workouts until you feel better, just do lighter/shorty ones, or do as much as you can?

I have a race in 4 weeks so I am not happy about missing workout/training

whatcha think?

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
I basically rested when I had a cold a few weeks ago (did a couple short 30 minute spins just to keep the cobwebs out). I think resting helped me get rid of the cold faster. At this point a few days off probably won't hurt your training too much.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
Heidi said:
If the cold is above your neck go ahead and workout, below the neck...take a break.
I've always followed this and it works out pretty well. If its in my chest I will do some short neighborhood walks, it seems to help break up the chest congestion and it definately helps me rest better.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
TreeSaw said:
I always tend to feel better when I work out so I would choose to do a light workout and try to keep as hydrated as possible!
last week I did a sorta long cardio session & after it felt like I spent the day trying to keep up with Lance.....I figued it either was the best w/o in my life or I had a cold :rolleyes:

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
douglas said:
last week I did a sorta long cardio session & after it felt like I spent the day trying to keep up with Lance.....I figued it either was the best w/o in my life or I had a cold :rolleyes:
D'oh. Are you getting plenty of rest? When I was training for Pueblo last winter I think I caught 1 cold the entire season and it was over quickly. I am looking forward to getting back into a routine of working out, but know that it won't be easy for the first few weeks :help:

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
Medium to low intensity cardio to sweat it out...Works too, since I'm such a wimp when I'm sick, like now, I'm still going in.

Just my 2 cents.

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
douglas said:
http://www.epicrides.com/twofour/24.htm

Team Beast from the East (ECHO, Westy, Peter & me) vs The West Coast spankers (Ghostrider,T-dog, ? & ?)

and, Heather will there going solo
Oh, I know you're headed to AZ., I'm just not famiar with ever training for a race. Of course the ones I do where I actually have to pedal uphill my goal is always just to finish. :p

P.S.-Say HI to Heather for me. :love:

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
TreeSaw said:
D'oh. Are you getting plenty of rest? When I was training for Pueblo last winter I think I caught 1 cold the entire season and it was over quickly. I am looking forward to getting back into a routine of working out, but know that it won't be easy for the first few weeks :help:
Yeah (6-7 hours/night)

maybe you can combine w/o's into other things...like diaper changes & bicep curls, or cleaning puke off the floor and toe stretches :p

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
douglas said:
Yeah (6-7 hours/night)

maybe you can combine w/o's into other things...like diaper changes & bicep curls, or cleaning puke off the floor and toe stretches :p
LOL! I am hoping...I do tend to excel at multi-tasking :p

You should try for 8 hours of sleep...that may help to kick the cold out faster!

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I follow the over/under the neck rule too but for me it's more important to go with what feels ok, and to stop when I know it's not. I don't usually feel good doing hard cardio when I'm sick but at the very least I try to do some stretching/yoga or light weights.

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
douglas said:
skip the workouts until you feel better, just do lighter/shorty ones, or do as much as you can?

I have a race in 4 weeks so I am not happy about missing workout/training

whatcha think?
At the gym or at home? If you are going to the gym, you should definitely wait until you are no longer "contagious" and aren't sneezing constantly. Misery doesn't always like company. :p

I think you should workout after taking a few days off to let you body rest / feel better. A workout / cardio should make you feel better, and doing something besides thinking about how $hitty you are feeling is a good thing. Your body will let you know during if you need to do a shorter than normal routine.