Quantcast

A Commuting Story...its Friday the 13th!

jtast17

Chimp
Dec 30, 2006
Ok...this could be much worse... but someone should have reminded me that it is Friday the 13th.
First off, I've been regularly commuting to work on a daily basis between my home in Elmira, NY and Corning, NY. Its about a 15-18 mile commute one way (depending on which way I take) and isn't bad...I do it in about 45min or so. So just a bit over 30 miles a day is what I'm commuting in the saddle.

Everything has been great!

Moving on to today...

Lets see...heading out of town today I lost my Treo that I just made a custom mount for out of a crap holster that I got with it and an old cyclocomputer mount. Guess I didn't bump test it enough. Luckily I was able to get the phone, battery and cover before it got hit by traffic and also locate the SD card and stylus. OYE. It was kind of like slow motion watching it flip off my bars and head to the ground.

So...needless to say...it found a place in my messenger bag for the rest of today. A few more bumps and bruises for the phone...glad I bought it used. vs. new! Guess character for it and they seemed to take a hell of a lot of shock!

Ah...so onward. Traffic was slightly abnormal today on the road pushing me deeper into the shoulders. You'd think with the amount of room that is available on our roads in particular and this being a bike route...they'd share, but that doesn't really happen.

Get close to Corning (my work) and one of the two gravel pits along my route that I usually avoid, dodge, etc. their bits in the shoulders of the road ...well, didn't quite make it today. Ended up with a nice flat on the bike. 5min change up and its good to go. So...it could be a lot worse but in the end I still made it to work RIGHT ON TIME instead of my normally arriving about 15min before opening.

So...riders beware today.

Joe