Quantcast

A couple nOOb questions.......

EricMcFlow

Monkey
Jul 9, 2005
Chicago
So I am ordeing my new jump bike (.243 SL) in a couple weeks (letting my bank account recover from my trip to Durango and Moab) and I have two questions.....

1) I have only done bar spins on bikes with gyros, but will not have one on this bike. Is there any benifit to having a V brake in the rear vs. a disk? Does one work better then the other? Or is there really no difference so long as my cable is long enough?

2) I am planing on going single speed off the bat. I am going to be usuing it for mainly urban/park riding but some jumping ect.. I am thinking of starting off with a 36-16 ratio, but I am open to suggestions, so suggest.

Thanks.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
1) There's not really a difference, but make sure you get an Odysey Linear Slic cable

2)That ratio sounds pretty good to me!

Have fun on that thing, and post some pics when you're done.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Word. Where in Chicago are you? I just moved out to CA a few years ago from the northern subs.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Cool. I wish when I lived there I went into the city more, I've gotta get back sometime to get into the city and ride my street bike.

EricMcFlow

Monkey
Jul 9, 2005
Chicago
There are two skate parks along the lake now that are pretty nice for public parks, migh have known that depending on how long ago you left, and more then enough urban stuff to keep you entertained. Rumor has it we are getting a 3rd skate park under 90/94 at Logan Blvd as well.

Drop a line if you come back.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I haven't seen the odessy lines but I use mechanical discs with 5mm shifter cable housing. It doesn't stretch and pinch your cable/brake.

As far as vbrakes vs discs.........I expect to knock my rear rim around so I went with discs. That's literally the only reason.

EricMcFlow

Monkey
Jul 9, 2005
Chicago
Thanks guys, ordered my frame today and planning of ordering a fork, brakes, headset, leavers and tires tomorrow. Should be all ready in a few weeks.

cowman

Monkey
Oct 17, 2004
Seattle, WA
with 24" wheels 32-16 is far too easy... I run 28 12-just about perfect. For 26's i'd recommend something maybe a bit harder than a 2-1 ration as well, maybe 30-14?

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
36-16 works good, I've used it on both 26, and 24" wheels with a lot success.

If you are riding street/park I'd say get a V-brake, they're cheaper, and you don't have to worry about bending disc's. I actually prefer V's for on/off power. The real benefit to a disc is the modulation.

The .243 SL's are very nice frames, you should have a pretty dialed bike!

EricMcFlow

Monkey
Jul 9, 2005
Chicago
scurban said:
The .243 SL's are very nice frames, you should have a pretty dialed bike!
I should have the frame, fork and a few other parts on Monday, I should be able to unvail it in a couple weeks. It should be pretty dialed, spending way more on this one then I expected/planned to.

CreeP

Monkey
Mar 8, 2002
montreal bitch
i'm riding 32 15 on my 24" wheels.

um, i didn't notice much difference when doing barspins between the mech disc and v. but it's so sweet with a hydro, if you do that though, you have to get a braided line, you don't want some piece of plastic splitting and pissing oil all over the place.