Quantcast

a couple of observations after today's ride

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
first - the shorter days suck.

second - Panaracer Ciders are surprisingly good tires. Lots of bite, stiff, strong lugs hold well on off cambur roots and such. If they are even decent in wet condition, they will definitely beat out my Conti Verticals as an all-around tire. They are a bit heavier, but much more sturdy... and I bet they will prove to be more durable than the Contis as well, but only time will tell on that one.

thrird - everyone needs a road bike. I don't care if it's boring as hell to you, it will make immediate and dramatic improvements in your mountain bike riding. OK, if you're an accomplished racer, this might not be the case... but for most of us, a road bike is a great training tool. I can't believe how much stronger I feel on the trail and how much better I am out of the saddle after a short time with my road bike. I was doing things in my middle ring/middle cog that I normally do in my granny/big cog. A HUUUUGE difference.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
jacksonpt said:

second - Panaracer Ciders are surprisingly good tires. Lots of bite, stiff, strong lugs hold well on off cambur roots and such. If they are even decent in wet condition, they will definitely beat out my Conti Verticals as an all-around tire. They are a bit heavier, but much more sturdy... and I bet they will prove to be more durable than the Contis as well, but only time will tell on that one.

thrird - everyone needs a road bike. I don't care if it's boring as hell to you, it will make immediate and dramatic improvements in your mountain bike riding. OK, if you're an accomplished racer, this might not be the case... but for most of us, a road bike is a great training tool. I can't believe how much stronger I feel on the trail and how much better I am out of the saddle after a short time with my road bike. I was doing things in my middle ring/middle cog that I normally do in my granny/big cog. A HUUUUGE difference.

1) I agree :(

2)I know a ton of people that really like fire xcs / and the cinders (per panaracer) are better. Did you get the aramids? 2.1 s are 650 grams, that doesnt seem too heavy to me

3)so true, and most expert/pro riders I know or have meet ALL ride road

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
jacksonpt said:

third - everyone needs a road bike. I don't care if it's boring as hell to you, it will make immediate and dramatic improvements in your mountain bike riding. OK, if you're an accomplished racer, this might not be the case... but for most of us, a road bike is a great training tool. I can't believe how much stronger I feel on the trail and how much better I am out of the saddle after a short time with my road bike. I was doing things in my middle ring/middle cog that I normally do in my granny/big cog. A HUUUUGE difference.
:thumb: I have been on the fence about getting a road bike, and this post may have swayed me over the top. I have been thinking about getting one and doing at least 1 road ride a week to help with training / spinning / conditioning.

Yeah the shorter days suck. It's damn dark by 8:00pm now. :mumble:

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
I have considered getting a road bike.. Only #1 i am a big guy.. 240 lbs id feel like i was gonna break the thing. #2 NYC streets suck.... way too many potholes and bumps. I have my older hardtail with 1.5" slicks on it..I use it for the streets and for commuting.. thats enough of a road bike for me ... for now

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
douglas said:
I know a ton of people that really like fire xcs / and the cinders (per panaracer) are better. Did you get the aramids? 2.1 s are 650 grams, that doesnt seem too heavy to me
Yea, I know how popular the Fire XCs are, I just wasn't expecting the Cinders to hold as well as they did on off cambur roots and such. The knobs are beefy enough that they don't flex as much (thus, they hold better) as the knobs on my old verticals.

I got the 2.25 Kevlar beaded Cinders... just a hair under 800g if I remember correctly - that's about 1/4 heavier (each) than my Contis were. I call it a training tool :D

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
berkshire_rider said:
:thumb: I have been on the fence about getting a road bike, and this post may have swayed me over the top. I have been thinking about getting one and doing at least 1 road ride a week to help with training / spinning / conditioning.
I was really surprised. I've only got about 100 miles on my road bike - I do about 1 good ride (20-30 miles) per week... I'm seeing fast and significant improvements in my road riding, but I didn't know how much of it would translate to the dirt. I felt a lot of benefit from added leg strength, and was a lot more comfortable out of the saddle - more in control is probably the best way to put it - both of me (my body, how hard I pedaled, etc) and the bike.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
hooples3 said:
I have considered getting a road bike.. Only #1 i am a big guy.. 240 lbs id feel like i was gonna break the thing. #2 NYC streets suck.... way too many potholes and bumps. I have my older hardtail with 1.5" slicks on it..I use it for the streets and for commuting.. thats enough of a road bike for me ... for now
sounds like you need a Surly! :thumb:

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
hooples3 said:
I have considered getting a road bike.. Only #1 i am a big guy.. 240 lbs id feel like i was gonna break the thing.
Just get a solid frame and have a custom wheelset built up... perahps use parts from the wheelset on a tandem bike.

The guy I rode with last night is 6'7" 315lbs - and he rides a Cannondale R700. Stock wheels are OK for him, but he's having a custom wheelset built up soon.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I Are Baboon said:
If anyone thinks road riding is broing, then they are doing it wrong. :p
Yea, I was suprised at how much I enjoy road riding. Kind of funny... for as similar as mtn biking and road riding are, they are also TOTALLY difference expereinces.

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
I Are Baboon said:
i like the whole idea of road riding... but seriously.. most of you are in an area where the roads are nice and you have clean air, and probably awesome views. If I lived upstate.. id have a road bike already. im in the city... no where near as nice. if I have to drive some where to ride in a nice area id rather take my mountain bike.
I do wish i had a true road bike for the century i am doing sept 11th

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
hooples3 said:
i like the whole idea of road riding... but seriously.. most of you are in an area where the roads are nice and you have clean air, and probably awesome views. If I lived upstate.. id have a road bike already. im in the city... no where near as nice. if I have to drive some where to ride in a nice area id rather take my mountain bike.
I do wish i had a true road bike for the century i am doing sept 11th
Well there is a difference between not enjoying road riding and thinking it's boring. You are describing the prior. We do have nice country roads to ride on.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
I Are Baboon said:
One of my favorites rides of the year, was my 1st real group (club) ride.......it was really hard to not look like a idiot being I was smiling the whole time

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
I feel funny on a road bike... I've ridden a couple different ones over the summer and they all make me feel weird when I ride them.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
stosh said:
I feel funny on a road bike... I've ridden a couple different ones over the summer and they all make me feel weird when I ride them.
weird how... like you suddenly want to wear lycra and shave your legs... or not quite fitting right?

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
jacksonpt said:
weird how... like you suddenly want to wear lycra and shave your legs... or not quite fitting right?
They all feel short and I hate bending my back.

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
I've been debating a roadie for tooling around in Wine Country up there in NY, and Beth is looking at a cyclocross to spend time on rail trails and roads.

I enjoy the road ride when I test the bikes, but I hesitate to buy one when I think "well, am I going to go out and spin, then turn around and go the exact same route to get back?" Seems a little less than stimulating to me, but I gess I haven't ridden it enough to figure out if that's the case.

And I want to see Stosh shave his legs.

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
stosh said:
kinda like when you climb the rope in gym class

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
robdamanii said:
I've been debating a roadie for tooling around in Wine Country up there in NY, and Beth is looking at a cyclocross to spend time on rail trails and roads.

I enjoy the road ride when I test the bikes, but I hesitate to buy one when I think "well, am I going to go out and spin, then turn around and go the exact same route to get back?" Seems a little less than stimulating to me, but I gess I haven't ridden it enough to figure out if that's the case.

And I want to see Stosh shave his legs.
Why would you need to turn around and come back the same way? Just map out some good loops with lots of right turns to get ya back home. :cool:

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
robdamanii said:
Road riding is weird, at least for me... it's not about the route, it's about me and the bike and the 100' of pavement I'm on at that moment. When you ride dirt, you want a good loop with changing terrain. On the road, you (or at least I) don't think about that stuff. It's not about the route - it's about the rhythm, it's about the cadence, it's... I dunno - it's just different. Dirt riding is all about sweat and adrenalin - road riding is more spiritual. It sounds corny, but take my word for it. Borrow a bike from a buddy and do 20 or 30 miles and see if you feel it.

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
MMcG said:
Why would you need to turn around and come back the same way? Just map out some good loops with lots of right turns to get ya back home. :cool:
A set of 4 rights up in Wine Country is about 60 miles, that's why. :cool:

Road riding is weird, at least for me... it's not about the route, it's about me and the bike and the 100' of pavement I'm on at that moment. When you ride dirt, you want a good loop with changing terrain. On the road, you (or at least I) don't think about that stuff. It's not about the route - it's about the rhythm, it's about the cadence, it's... I dunno - it's just different. Dirt riding is all about sweat and adrenalin - road riding is more spiritual. It sounds corny, but take my word for it. Borrow a bike from a buddy and do 20 or 30 miles and see if you feel it.
That's what I wonder, if it's just this bizarre impression I have of road riding that I don't get. I guess once you actually do it, you really get the feel for it.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
MMcG said:
A road bike ride through the Finger Lakes Wine Country sounds amazing! You and Beth should definitely do it!
I still think a road ride to that brewery in Granby would be amazing. :) We got a second vote of "Two thumbs up" on that place from one of MBC's friends.

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Echo said:
Are you moving to Seneca Falls? Or just visiting there?
Moving there to go to school.

I'll have all that space to road ride, and no really decent trails to ride. Bummer.

And since I'll be in a house, there would be sufficient room for monkeys to crash if they came to road ride or something.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Not right in Seneca Falls, but in the general area there are plenty of trails to ride. It's not all that far from where I am, I'll have to show you some stuff. You gonna have a car?

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
I'm seriously looking at a Kona Jake Cross bike because I love Kona and I really want to get out and spinning, not even just to improve my riding, but because it's so beautiful out here...plus, I really love the speed! :D

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
Echo said:
Not right in Seneca Falls, but in the general area there are plenty of trails to ride. It's not all that far from where I am, I'll have to show you some stuff. You gonna have a car?

Where are the trails? We both went to school in Ithaca and we've been to Shindigan Hollow (sp?) and that's about it. It's so damn hilly up there!

I'm really looking forward to getting out on some of the roads by the lake when I come to visit Rob :thumb: and, yeah, he'll have a car.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
I've done road rides/bike path rides/etc. quite a number of times over the last ~20 years of riding and while road riding isn't terrible, for me it is boring. And anytime I'm riding road I'd like it 20x more if I was spending that time on singletrack instead.

The only time I've found a road/path ride to be "fun" was when we had a group of people doing a bar-bikeathon. :D

Road riding does seem to be pretty good exercise, though.

Of course, YMMV.

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Echo said:
You bet I'll have a car.

I'm assuming we're talking MTB trails, yes?

And for god's sake don't say shindigin hollow...