Quantcast

A couple of questions about titanium bikes

timmins

Chimp
Feb 16, 2007
Hi guys, first post.

I'm currently riding a cro-mo 21.5" mongoose iboc Zero-G (http://www.v-lo.krakow.pl/~trzebiat/mongoose.htm) with considerable upgrades. It's an ok frame but I have a job now and I just can't justify putting XTR on it. I'm about 6'1" 205 and I ride quite hard. Most of my riding is in the city but I do enjoy hitting the Don trail in my city regularly.

My bike has quite an elongated cockpit which I like, and it's great for the city because it has a very low front end to get nice and low. unfortunately the mongoose is too big and not made for trail riding.

I LIKE FLEX, I have never liked aluminum because it's too stiff and unforgiving. After some reading I have learned Titanium is flexy, light and just soooo perty.

based on my little blurb, do you have any objections to me getting a titanium frame?

if not, can you recommend any titanium mtb frames (29ers included) that can ;handle my weight (I pedal really hard); have a long toptube and preferably be 8 speed.

I was intrigued by the Kona hei hei.

Please let me know if you need any more information.

Thanks for your time.
-Kyle

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Ti is surprisingly comfortable when done right, more so than nice steel. Sounds like a good fit for you.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
i have a merlin xlm and it rides very well. it's actually going up for sale very soon... ;) but it's a medium.

if i were you i would look into a custom frame if you can afford it. mass produced titanium frames are not very common and most of them are designed primarily for xc racing which might not be what you are looking for.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Hi guys, first post.

I'm currently riding a cro-mo 21.5" mongoose iboc Zero-G (http://www.v-lo.krakow.pl/~trzebiat/mongoose.htm) with considerable upgrades. It's an ok frame but I have a job now and I just can't justify putting XTR on it. I'm about 6'1" 205 and I ride quite hard. Most of my riding is in the city but I do enjoy hitting the Don trail in my city regularly.

My bike has quite an elongated cockpit which I like, and it's great for the city because it has a very low front end to get nice and low. unfortunately the mongoose is too big and not made for trail riding.

I LIKE FLEX, I have never liked aluminum because it's too stiff and unforgiving. After some reading I have learned Titanium is flexy, light and just soooo perty.

based on my little blurb, do you have any objections to me getting a titanium frame?

if not, can you recommend any titanium mtb frames (29ers included) that can ;handle my weight (I pedal really hard); have a long toptube and preferably be 8 speed.

I was intrigued by the Kona hei hei.

Please let me know if you need any more information.

Thanks for your time.
-Kyle
Titanium is not a flexy material. It resonates well, much better than aluminum, so after a long ride, you don't feel as beat up as you would on an aluminum bike.

I just bought a ti bike and I am very satisified.

timmins

Chimp
Feb 16, 2007
Thanks for the replies guys, you're just making me want one more and more.

what are the differences between bikes made with 3Al/2.5V and 6Al/5V tubing. With the former being stronger, will bikes made with it be able to have smaller tubing thereby making them lighter.

disregarding price, which company makes the best frames?

I'm in Toronto, are there any frame builders or people that I could have a conversation with in regards to tubing, measurements, etc. either on msn or in person.

Thanks

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
In Toronto - I'd try posting something on dropmachine.com or one of the Canadian based mtb forums.

I betcha there is a Canadian builder or company that could hook you up.

In fact, I know there is. Look into Dekerf Cycles!!!

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
I can vouch for Dean, been riding the titanium ACE and a Torrey's cross bike for quite a few years now. Comfy but $$$ Luckily, they were my sponsor :)

timmins

Chimp
Feb 16, 2007
Hi, I have read a number of reviews on them, the vast majority were positive but a few mentioned problems like misaligned frames, and bad welds. I have my eye on a 2004 Airborne lancaster 21". does anybody have any personal experience with these bikes and would be willing to give some input.

Here is a post on pinkbike by me:
http://vpfree.pinkbike.com/bb/viewto...792185#7792185

Thanks
-Kyle

@Heidi- That's insane, the person that has the Lancaster I'm looking into, is also from Bend. It's Kismet, I must buy it, lol.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I would be careful about used airborne bikes - Airborne is now called Flyte bikes and I'm not sure they are so great warranteeing or helping customers who have Airborne frames.

But then again, you would be buying used so wouldn't have a true warranty anyway.

Look into Dekerf.

timmins

Chimp
Feb 16, 2007
Dekerf looks great, but their frames are $3500. airborne frames after 2002 are covered and the one I'm interested in is a 2004. I remember reading a review af a guy who has a weld break and he was given a brand new current model frame, I think their service is ok.