Quantcast

A couple of solo ride pictures from Dupont today

T-Pirate

RESPECT!
Sep 28, 2003
Boone, NC/N. Greenville county, SC
I did a sweet ride today at Dupont State Forest in NC. I rode mostly my Foes, but after I wrapped up my big loop I had a few minutes and did another couple miles on the hardtail, since I had both bikes on my car.

Just some boring pictures I took today, sorry no action.

For locals: I started at corn mill shoals, rode out on corn mill shoals road to burnt mountain, then crossed the river to the singletrack part of corn mill shoals over to the base of the falls, then up and under the waterfall, up the longer side of cedar rock, down big rock to the parking lot. Then I got my hardtail out and rode longside to the corner of the road, then down the road and back to the parking lot on Twixt trail. Lots of fun.

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
T-Pirate said:
For locals: I started at corn mill shoals, rode out on corn mill shoals road to burnt mountain, then crossed the river to the singletrack part of corn mill shoals over to the base of the falls, then up and under the waterfall, up the longer side of cedar rock, down big rock to the parking lot. Then I got my hardtail out and rode longside to the corner of the road, then down the road and back to the parking lot on Twixt trail. Lots of fun.
That is a great loop and pretty much how I usually ride Dupont, Sans the waterfalls (I dont know how to get to them). I actually usually do 2 loops of Burnt, it is that much fun.

ps... I am not a local :D

Great pics as always.

T-Pirate

RESPECT!
Sep 28, 2003
MMcG said:
Nice photos - when did you get a Foes??
Towards the end of summer. Pay attention to my bashguard (or lack thereof) and you'll see that its not quite done yet.

Rob, I'd never done the big rock/cedar rock trails in the direction I did them yesterday. I'd venture to say the climb from the powerlines to the overlook is a lot easier than the climb from the parking lot. I liked it this way better. I talked to some dude in the parking lot that seemed pretty skeptical of my ability to ride my Foes at dupont, but I thought it was perfect, I didn't have trouble on any climbs and I made up for it on the descents anyway.

T-Pirate

RESPECT!
Sep 28, 2003
AlmostHeaven said:
mmwwwaaaahahahahaha. they're taking over the world.

i'm assuming you stopped at the creek for a very imortant P.ublic S.aftey A.nnouncemet :evil:
Yeah I have a habit of leaving lift tickets on my bikes for months after I go to the mountain. That pass is from nationals.

As for the PSA, I've found myself dry for the last few weeks, but that creek has burnage potential for sure....soooo many sweet looking spots. Thats the first thing I thought of when I rolled up.

Colin

Monkey
Nov 5, 2001
in my tiny apartment
Mtb_Rob_FL said:
That is a great loop and pretty much how I usually ride Dupont, Sans the waterfalls (I dont know how to get to them). I actually usually do 2 loops of Burnt, it is that much fun.

ps... I am not a local :D

Great pics as always.
Rob,

When are you heading that ways next? I've been up to DuPont and Pisgah once, but would love to head up there agin.

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
T-Pirate said:
Rob, I'd never done the big rock/cedar rock trails in the direction I did them yesterday. I'd venture to say the climb from the powerlines to the overlook is a lot easier than the climb from the parking lot. I liked it this way better. I talked to some dude in the parking lot that seemed pretty skeptical of my ability to ride my Foes at dupont, but I thought it was perfect, I didn't have trouble on any climbs and I made up for it on the descents anyway.
Me and LooNatic did the Big Rock/Cedar Rock Trailthe day before the SE RideMonkey fest. We rode it in both directions. As I mentioned in that post going up from the Power Lines and then going DOWN Big Rock trail was the way to go. I had ridden Dupont a NUMBER of times in the past and was kicking myself for never doing it in that direction before.

Colin said:
Rob,

When are you heading that ways next? I've been up to DuPont and Pisgah once, but would love to head up there agin.
I dunno. I wouldnt mind getting a trip up there some time in October. You gonna put a bike together? When is UF's bye week?

T-Pirate

RESPECT!
Sep 28, 2003
WestCoastHucker said:
hey TP, i have a basher if you need one......

nice backdrop pics....
I've tried two, but I'm not finding one that will clear the chainguide on that bike. I think 110mm is the way to go. I have a 104 but the teeth of my big ring stick out a little.

Rob, You're right for sure, the descent to the parking lot was definitely fun to ride on my big bike. All those waterbar rock ledges woody put in are tight at high speed.... Air, hip, land in drifty sand turn....repeat. Forgot to mention....it hasn't rained in a month so the trails were BONE DRY and super shrednasty.

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
T-Pirate said:
Rob, You're right for sure, the descent to the parking lot was definitely fun to ride on my big bike. All those waterbar rock ledges woody put in are tight at high speed.... Air, hip, land in drifty sand turn....repeat. Forgot to mention....it hasn't rained in a month so the trails were BONE DRY and super shrednasty.
Did you hit that berm at the VERY bottom back onto Corn Shoal Mills road (or whatever it is). Or did you hit it like a jump and land back on the road really really hard?

T-Pirate said:
I've tried two, but I'm not finding one that will clear the chainguide on that bike. I think 110mm is the way to go. I have a 104 but the teeth of my big ring stick out a little..
what size is your big ring? i have a spare 40t and basher in a 104mm bcd.
i am confused as to what you mean by "clear the chainguide" though. do you mean the derailleur?

T-Pirate

RESPECT!
Sep 28, 2003
WestCoastHucker said:
what size is your big ring? i have a spare 40t and basher in a 104mm bcd.
i am confused as to what you mean by "clear the chainguide" though. do you mean the derailleur?
I have a spare e13 that wouldn't mount because the chainguide roller blocked it. I guess it was too big? The 104 mm would mount, but it was too small, so right now its all ghettofied until I figure out the right setup.

Colin

Monkey
Nov 5, 2001
in my tiny apartment
Mtb_Rob_FL said:
I dunno. I wouldnt mind getting a trip up there some time in October. You gonna put a bike together? When is UF's bye week?
Believe it or not, I rode Markham this weekend. Other than being really out of shape I had a blast.

When in October? I dunno if I can pull that. Going up to Gainesville the weekend of the Georgia game/Halloween/friend's defense.

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Colin said:
Believe it or not, I rode Markham this weekend. Other than being really out of shape I had a blast.

When in October? I dunno if I can pull that. Going up to Gainesville the weekend of the Georgia game/Halloween/friend's defense.
Well if not in October might as well wait until April next year when Day Light Savings time starts again.