Quantcast

A DIY Record

Yossarian

Monkey Pimp
Jul 25, 2001
Aboard the Inchcliffe Castle
OK, I know a lot of the monkeys are homeowners and with homeownership comes diy projects.

This weekend I set a personal record for number of trips to Lowes/Home Depot to finish one project.

7 trips to Lowes to fix one leaking toilet. In the end, I replaced the entire toilet from the water supply pipe on. The only thing that is original is the copper supply pipe and the closet flange. A comedy of errors to be sure. The only good thing, besides a brand new crapper, is that I got to buy a new tool, a Spud Wrench.

So lets here your PR's for DIY store visits for a single weekend project.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Yossarian said:
OK, I know a lot of the monkeys are homeowners and with homeownership comes diy projects.

This weekend I set a personal record for number of trips to Lowes/Home Depot to finish one project.

7 trips to Lowes to fix one leaking toilet. In the end, I replaced the entire toilet from the water supply pipe on. The only thing that is original is the copper supply pipe and the closet flange. A comedy of errors to be sure. The only good thing, besides a brand new crapper, is that I got to buy a new tool, a Spud Wrench.

So lets here your PR's for DIY store visits for a single weekend project.
I actually try to estimate my projects out so I only have to make one trip. Doesn't always happen.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
This past weekend I didn't exactly set a record for number of visits, but it was a record for number of times we lapped the store, for sure. We stood in the cash register line no less than 4 times, every time thinking of something else we needed before we got through the line. Must have done at least ten laps of the store, thinking of something we needed at the other end.

Morryjg

Mr. Ho Jangles
May 9, 2003
Littleton
I'm at the end of my home project. We gutted our bathroom down to sub floor and studs. This weekend I finally finished tiling in the shower and installed the toilet. Once I finish I'm going to post pics because it's taken me so frickin long to do this project I have to share. I only had 3 trips to HD/Lowes this weekend, but that is definitely not the most I've been in one weekend/day.

Yossarian

Monkey Pimp
Jul 25, 2001
Aboard the Inchcliffe Castle
stosh said:
I actually try to estimate my projects out so I only have to make one trip. Doesn't always happen.
As do I, but here is how it went down.

leaking toilet, suspected broken wax seal at closet flange, since I can't easily see one side of toilet for leaks and no immediate source of leak detected
trip 1 - buy a wax ring
dismantle and replace wax ring, still leaking.
wedge body and flaslight between tub and toilet, see signs of leak between tank and toilet, suspected tank to bowl gasket
Trip 2 - buy appropriate gasket
dismantle tank and install gasket, results - still leaking, suspect next gasket up the chain, the filler tube assembly to tank gasket
Trip 3 - buy appropriate gasket and spud wrench
dismantle, install, reassemble, results - still leaking and very annoyed
get food coloring (red) from pantry, fill tank with red water and crawl under toilet, see leak coming from a hairline fracture in tank.
Trip 4 - buy replacement tank, thought to be correct size, I was wrong, (mounting bolt patterns not standard)
Trip 5 - F'it! go buy proper bowl & wax ring
Dismantle toilet, stuff waste pipe with newspaper for safety reasons, clean closet flange, reinstall toilet, remember post install that newspaper is still in waste pipe.
Trip 6 - go buy new wax ring
dismantle, clean flange, remove newspaper from waste pipe, reinstall and assemble toilet assembly.

Test, test test, no leaks, working toilet, grab beer to celebrate. Clean bathroom of tools, garbage, etc.. realize that there is no tank lid in tank box.

Trip 7 - attain said missing tank lid.

Drink, Drink, Drink, Grill some steaks.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
saturday I rode, sunday I did housey stuff....

enough weeds to fill 2 giant bags removed from earth.
1 giant bush cut down and stump removed.
giant bush cut into 6 inch pieces.
custom hanger for a hand painted plate made.
nozzle for sprayer in utility sink repaired.
toilet sit fixed.
8 beers drank.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
I lived in converted warehouse that had 3000 sq ft of living space that we could build however we wanted. I tore down and rebuilt rooms about 10 times in 5 years, and re-did two bathrooms and the kitchen.

And I lived 1.5 miles from Home Depot, a building supply recycle center, and OSH.

How many visits per project? I could never count it all.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
H8R said:
I lived in converted warehouse that had 3000 sq ft of living space that we could build however we wanted. I tore down and rebuilt rooms about 10 times in 5 years, and re-did two bathrooms and the kitchen.

And I lived 1.5 miles from Home Depot, a building supply recycle center, and OSH.

How many visits per project? I could never count it all.
A good indicator would be that more than once I told an employee at Home Depot where something was located in his store.

:rolleyes: