Quantcast

A Downhiller endeavors to Cross over.

kidwithbike

Monkey
Apr 16, 2007
Hoboken, NJ
I want to try to compete in my first Cross race this weekend, and I could use some advice.
I am a Cat 1 downhiller, 2.5 months ago i broke and had surgery on my radius, I have been riding the trainer, road riding and XC for the past 3 weeks and don't feel too out of shape. I figure I have a cheap cyclocross bike and I think my USAC liscense will work, so why not give this race in Sussex, NJ a rip?
What should i expect? any tips or advice for a first timer?
I got a little bit of insight from a friend of mine who will be racing and is also in his first season. he told me to take off my water bottle holders? why is that?

Sghost

Turbo Monkey
Jul 13, 2008
NY
You wont be carrying a bottle (probably racing for ~30 mins) and dont want it getting in the way of shouldering your bike.

Practice some dismount/remounts and then practice it running over some barriers or logs.

Bust out some sprints and/or climbing stairs with your bike on your shoulder tonight and you'll be fine for the weekend.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
My advice is to have fun. When it gets scary, go faster. Best advice I ever got

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
Go as fast as you are able the entire race. You rest after you finish. It is one of the hardest cycling disciplines as it is go go go the entire time.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Go as fast as you are able the entire race. You rest after you finish. It is one of the hardest cycling disciplines as it is go go go the entire time.
so kinda like a DH race? (in the sense that you must be at or above 100% from start to finish). kwb should be able to handle that.

Sghost

Turbo Monkey
Jul 13, 2008
NY
so kinda like a DH race? (in the sense that you must be at or above 100% from start to finish). kwb should be able to handle that.
Sorta, in theory. In actuality its closest to a tight short track race.

It would be like finishing your race, turning to the service road to the left of the lodge, hairpins down the parking lot ramp to end, 180 around a burning barrel, then under the deck, dismount to run your bike up the hill to the lift, quick climb to the wooden ramp drop and wall ride, repeat through finish line. But everything mass start from the top.

kidwithbike

Monkey
Apr 16, 2007
Hoboken, NJ
Sorta, in theory. In actuality its closest to a tight short track race.

It would be like finishing your race, turning to the service road to the left of the lodge, hairpins down the parking lot ramp to end, 180 around a burning barrel, then under the deck, dismount to run your bike up the hill to the lift, quick climb to the wooden ramp drop and wall ride, repeat through finish line. But everything mass start from the top.
Perfect Sghost, thats my cool down at platty. :D

I plan to wear a dirt jump lid, 5.10s and fish hooks in my back.
but seriously I am debating between CB Candys or Shimano 545s

I am nervously excited about it. I have been doing well recovering from the surgery and feel suprisingly fit. I am really curious/excited what the course is gonna be like.

Ire, I really like your advice. I hope I am scared the whole race!!!

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Racing cross is as much about knowing when to expend as when to rest. Some courses it's tough to find places to rest. When coming into hairpin corners, use that time slowing down to sit up and take some deep breaths. Accelerate out of all of the corners, but don't sprint full bore; if you do, you'll have nothing left towards the end of the race. People save energy for the last lap, and if you don't you could find yourself losing positions right at the end. In the A and B categories the attacks on the last lap will be fast and furious.

kidwithbike

Monkey
Apr 16, 2007
Hoboken, NJ
hahah, I am pretty sure i would be able to hop the barriers but i doubt i could make those zany spring sound effects!

Dismounting looks way quicker and perhaps as importantly less harsh on my arm which will already be straining to pick up my clunker of a CX bike! dont want to bend my flexy Titanium arm!