Quantcast

A dumb idea to start with...

r464

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2006
Earth
If you notice a deflated balloon in the UK, check it out...

LONDON (Reuters) - It is the one moment every man wants to get right -- and which London floor-fitter Lefkos Hajji could hardly have got more wrong.

The luckless 28 year-old's dreams of giving his sweetheart, Leanne, 26, the ultimate proposal have literally vanished into thin air.

Hajji, of Hackney, east London, had concealed a $12,000 engagement ring inside a helium balloon. The idea was that she would pop the balloon as he popped the question.

But as he left the shop, a gust of wind pulled the balloon from his hand and he watched the ring -- and quite possibly the affections of his girlfriend -- sailing away over the rooftops.

"I couldn't believe it," he told The Sun newspaper.

"I just watched as it went further and further into the air.

"I felt like such a plonker. It cost a fortune and I knew my girlfriend would kill me."

Hajji spent two hours in his car trying to chase and find the balloon, without success.

"I thought I would give Leanne a pin so I could literally pop the question," he said.

"But I had to tell her the story -- she went absolutely mad. Now she is refusing to speak to me until I get her a new ring."

He is hoping the ring will still turn up.

"It would be amazing if someone found it," he added.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
It's a good idea to say things outloud and hear it from a psuedo-third person to see if it's a good idea...

<I'm going to put $12k in a helium balloon and not secure it to anything>

Also...

<I'm going to marry a woman who's refuses to talk to me until I get her a very expensive engagement ring>

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
It's a good idea to say things outloud and hear it from a psuedo-third person to see if it's a good idea...

<I'm going to put $12k in a helium balloon and not secure it to anything>

Also...

<I'm going to marry a woman who's refuses to talk to me until I get her a very expensive engagement ring>
exactly...he should get out now 'cause if she really cared for him the ring wouldn't be an issue...D