Quantcast

A few 9'er questions

SVPPB

Monkey
May 13, 2007
So after a long nagging conversation with myself I have decided to slowly start building myself a Carver 96'er.

I had a few questions, so if anyone can help, I'd appreciate it.

1. Would you advise going the Ti or the Al route for the frame?
2. Could this bike handle a 133mm fork without jacking up the geometry?
3. Has anyone had any hands on time with the Maverick DUC32 29er? I rode one for a few miles on a Trek 69'er, really liked it, but what about the long term?
4. Is there such a thing as a tubeless 29" rim yet?

Thanks a lot to whomever can lend a hand. I am going to do this slow, but will post pics when its all said and done.

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
1. Steel 853
2. sure why not. but the stand over height my be a bit much
3. nope
4. yes. stans rims or the 29er crossmax wheelset.

i'm waiting for my stans flow rims to come in.

Guitar Ted

Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
Waterloo, IA
#1. Aluminum
#2. Handle it? Yes Jack up the geometry? Yes
#3. Personally no, but everything I've read says it's not for folks that don't like torsional flex or have an aversion to tinkering.
#4. Crossmax 29"er wheelset, Bontrager Tubeless Ready in Rhythm and Race X Lite, Duster rims too, Stan's Arch and Flow.

SVPPB

Monkey
May 13, 2007
- Why AL over TI?
- Other fork suggestions?
- Don't want a full wheelset, just a rim. Does Mavic make a tubeless version yet?
- Are there many 29" UST tires out there?

tozovr

Monkey
Jan 16, 2006
So after a long nagging conversation with myself I have decided to slowly start building myself a Carver 96'er.

I had a few questions, so if anyone can help, I'd appreciate it.

1. Would you advise going the Ti or the Al route for the frame?
2. Could this bike handle a 133mm fork without jacking up the geometry?
3. Has anyone had any hands on time with the Maverick DUC32 29er? I rode one for a few miles on a Trek 69'er, really liked it, but what about the long term?
4. Is there such a thing as a tubeless 29" rim yet?

Thanks a lot to whomever can lend a hand. I am going to do this slow, but will post pics when its all said and done.
1. Not sure, but I like the frame...nice either way
2. dunno...(the Duc is only 115mm thouugh, if you go that route)
3. Yes. I love it. Torsional flex is white noise on the trail...a non issue. If you get the DUC or any fork, to twist on the trail you're in a high torque, low speed situation that more often than not, ends with you putting a foot down or on your head. The knees-on-the-wheel twist test is akin to the bending-of-the-ski-on-the-shop-floor test...everyone does it but it means ziltch. They, however, are not an out of the box fork. You don't open the box and pop it on, and go ride. They're not made to be. They're VERY VERY tunable. Start with the manual and set your air levels and then check mavericks website for more tips. Best bet is to call Ethan @ Mav and he'll save a ton of time and tinkering. Once dialed into you, you'll be in heaven.
4. C29ssmax

One thing to check is the Nut-zippers on the top tube of the carver...not sure if it was a certain year or model, but the last one I saw locally has some MEAN looking top-tube mounted cable guides that just screamed "involuntary vasectomy."

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
1. Torsional flex is white noise on the trail...a non issue. If you get the DUC or any fork, to twist on the trail you're in a high torque, low speed situation that more often than not, ends with you putting a foot down or on your head. The knees-on-the-wheel twist test is akin to the bending-of-the-ski-on-the-shop-floor test...everyone does it but it means ziltch. my."
people still do that. yeah i can flex a fork like that. but can you flex it like
that on the trail?, no. never got it. one of the best dh forks i ever road
was the inverted shiver.