Quantcast

A few carpentry pics for N8

E

enkidu

Our house is under construction. After a whole day of pre-Christmas errands I could finally visit the site right before the sunset, half expecting the crew to be all gone for the day. But the crane operators and the crew were still there, hoisting the trusses.

Sorry, the pics are huge. I did use tinypic.com. . .

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Wow! Where is that?

I see the ever-present constructionman bonfire going but the d00ds are in short sleeves.

I don't use engineered/prebuilt rafters but I love how fast they can go up and how they maximize materials.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
I'll never forget the guy who took a dump in a box and left in the basement when the second house we had in VA was being built.

He didn't have a job much longer after that.

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
I am jealous of your view!

That first picture is really cool in an artsy new home owner kind of way.

E

enkidu

N8 said:
Wow! Where is that?

I see the ever-present constructionman bonfire going but the d00ds are in short sleeves.

I don't use engineered/prebuilt rafters but I love how fast they can go up and how they maximize materials.
It's an Oregon coast mini-town where land is still affordable (and access is scenic, but inconvenient and time-consuming.)

When it's not raining the temperature is moderate here.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
enkidu said:
It's an Oregon coast mini-town where land is still affordable (and access is scenic, but inconvenient and time-consuming.)

When it's not raining the temperature is moderate here.

How much does a lot like that cost?

How much does a custom home like yours run?

E

enkidu

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
E

enkidu

N8 said:
Do you have city utilities like water and sewer?

Is 4000_sf the 'under roof' amount of the conditions space amount?
Well and a septic tank + drain field

4000 sf of "living space". It was originally designed as a 3500 sf house, but we kept on turning "storage rooms" into "guest bedrooms" and attic into a "grandkids' secret hide-away room".

Zen monastery simplicity is what we are aiming for. We wanted a (simple inexpensive, but pristine) spot to perch in the midst of gorgeous nature and have some old-hippie blue grass jamming & chamber music sessions without disturbing neighbors.

E

enkidu

MancilG said:
wow that is going to be SWEET! How are the trails in your area?
More crabbing, fishing, dune-bugging and road biking (Highway 101 cycling) activities here.

Here's some MB info. from http://www.oregoncitylink.com/coosbay/rec.htm
Mountain Biking(off road) Euphoria Ridge trail near Bridge, OR. The Euphoria Ridge trail was recently featured in a regional biking magazine. Club Bump is a mountain biking club that maintains the trail. Near Bridge, OR Club BumpMountain Biking (off road) Winchester Road Trail Area The South Coast Trail Riders and Coos County have built and maintain 30 miles of riding trails south of Coos Bay. Area is shared with motorbikes. At mile post #251 on Hwy 101. Map available. Mike Smith Pro Motion (541) 759-3601.

Mountain Biking (off road). An informal group meets in the Bay Area on Tuesday nights during daylight savings time. Informal group meets at various locations in the Bay Area for group rides. Various Moe's Bicycle Shop (541)756-7536.

E

enkidu

McGRP01 said:
That site is tits!!
hooples3 said:
wow.. thats going to be some view!!!!!!
aggrorider said:
Nice place you've got going there. That is some sweet background. hope you like it.
Mtb_Rob_FL said:
I am jealous of your view!

That first picture is really cool in an artsy new home owner kind of way.
Echo said:
Seriously, RIGHT NOW, f*ck Rochester NY. I'm moving.
Thanks, guys. Yup, it is the view that attracted us to this spot. When we first saw this lot with overgrown bushes, we weren't interested at all until we turned around and saw the view.

ummbikes

Don't mess with the Santas
Apr 16, 2002
Napavine, Warshington
N8 said:
You should! N8!!!

Why don't you use them?

Here is a link to a pape that has PDF files for the builders guide to trusses and the encyclopedia of trusses, you may have seen these before but in case you have not here you go.
http://www.alpeng.com/wood_truss_info.html

Seriously man, save yourself some time and money and have your roof system made.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
enkidu said:
Well and a septic tank + drain field

4000 sf of "living space". It was originally designed as a 3500 sf house, but we kept on turning "storage rooms" into "guest bedrooms" and attic into a "grandkids' secret hide-away room".

Zen monastery simplicity is what we are aiming for. We wanted a (simple inexpensive, but pristine) spot to perch in the midst of gorgeous nature and have some old-hippie blue grass jamming & chamber music sessions without disturbing neighbors.
4000sf and monastic simplicity? Unless you have 20 monks moving in I am confused.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Westy said:
4000sf and monastic simplicity? Unless you have 20 monks moving in I am confused.
maybe monastic simplicity means never having to see another person while wandering around the house? :oink: