Quantcast

a few climbing photos from yesterday

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
stoney98 said:
That's a nice looking rock.
there are over 2000 prestine granite boulders and well over 200 multie pitch routes (primarily trad routes). This area is also a land aquisition miracle!

the problem go go gadget arm is a first ascent of mine from about 6 years ago.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
Andyman_1970 said:
Sweet!!!!! How's the photography thing going so far Biggins?
going well. i will be starting my digital media degree next semester, i think i have secured a job at a digital imaging/photo studio here in town and i have the beginings of a website now.

www.bwiggins.com

hopefully i will have 4 galleries up on it tomorrow night and i will be able to access the e-mail provided on the website. hopefully it will be a pretty finished product by jan. 1.

i also have a bid in for 8-12 images for a business that needs stock photo for their ads/website/labels. hopefully that will happen. In addition to that i have been asked to do some work for a fundraiser to benefit a charter school here in Asheville. I have been trying to make contacts at a few of the climbing publications as well as some fishing publications and product manufacturers to sell some images to them since many of my images have their brand names in them.

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
Sweet, good to hear it. What kind of equipment are you using (photo wise)?

BTW, speaking of climbing one of my students from church has been climbing with Chris Sharma at some secret place in Arkansas putting up a bunch of boulder problems.............sorry I don't get to drop names often...........:cool:

escapeartist

Turbo Monkey
Mar 21, 2004
W-S. NC
biggins said:
going well. i will be starting my digital media degree next semester, i think i have secured a job at a digital imaging/photo studio here in town and i have the beginings of a website now.

www.bwiggins.com

hopefully i will have 4 galleries up on it tomorrow night and i will be able to access the e-mail provided on the website. hopefully it will be a pretty finished product by jan. 1.

i also have a bid in for 8-12 images for a business that needs stock photo for their ads/website/labels. hopefully that will happen. In addition to that i have been asked to do some work for a fundraiser to benefit a charter school here in Asheville. I have been trying to make contacts at a few of the climbing publications as well as some fishing publications and product manufacturers to sell some images to them since many of my images have their brand names in them.
Good Luck Biggins! and congratulations for Taking the plunge, I hope it works out for you. You work is really good and shows a tremendous ammount of improvement over the time I've been here on the monkey. Sounds like your doing the right thing when it comes to getting assignments. I hope it works out for you!

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
Andyman_1970 said:
Sweet, good to hear it. What kind of equipment are you using (photo wise)?

BTW, speaking of climbing one of my students from church has been climbing with Chris Sharma at some secret place in Arkansas putting up a bunch of boulder problems.............sorry I don't get to drop names often...........:cool:
yeah Chris is an mazing climber and super chill. As for that place in arkansas i have actually heard something about it.

as far as equipment goes i am not using anything special. a canon g-5 which is basically a point and shoot with manual functions. it has good enough resolution to print at 11x14 and use in magazines. working on getting the funds for a digital slr through sales of my images. thats the beauty of the net though is that they dont ever have to know what i was using to get the shot as long as they like it and it serves their needs.

J

JRB

BurlyShirley said:
Those pictures would be cooler if they were of mountain biking.
:stupid: I really hate to agree with this meat head, but he's right.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
BigMike said:
Looks good man :thumb: does the wrist ever give you any trouble climbing?
nope not really. my right arm is still considerably weaker than my left but pulling on it climbing feels a lot better than the compression it experiences while riding.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Awesome pics Biggins. Congrats on the photog thing, seems you may have found your path.

I went to the climbing gym last weekend. Hoping to get more into the sport and am trying to get my hand strenght built up for when the weather turns nicer.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
biggins said:
nope not really. my right arm is still considerably weaker than my left but pulling on it climbing feels a lot better than the compression it experiences while riding.

Well, thats good, I guess. Its good that you found somthing you can do without hurting, but bad that you can't ride without hurting :(

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
BigMike said:
Well, thats good, I guess. Its good that you found somthing you can do without hurting, but bad that you can't ride without hurting :(
yeah pretty much every time i got on the bike it hurt but that is not really why i am not riding right now. i will be back on a bike when i get my ducks in a row and it is number 3 on the list on the list of things to buy when i can afford it.

one of the main issues is that i really love to ride erb0n and that was really painful on the arm but i think climbing will help strengthen the stabilizer muscles to reduce pain when riding.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
Westy said:
Awesome pics Biggins. Congrats on the photog thing, seems you may have found your path.

I went to the climbing gym last weekend. Hoping to get more into the sport and am trying to get my hand strenght built up for when the weather turns nicer.

you are going the right route for it. the only way to become a better climber is by climbing. its very much like riding in that respect. you can work out and get super fit but that doesnt replace the technique gained by climbing a lot. my advice to new climbers is to think about it this way: your hands hold you into the rock while your feet move you up it.

Arsbars

"Finger Lickin' Good"
Mar 25, 2003
Charlotte, NC
biggins - looks like I'm moving to charlotte (nc) so maybe you can take me out sometimes. Cuz I know how much you love me!!!

Or if anything go drinking??

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
Arsbars said:
biggins - looks like I'm moving to charlotte (nc) so maybe you can take me out sometimes. Cuz I know how much you love me!!!

Or if anything go drinking??

we can certainly go do some climbing. arent you in SC now? also we were drinking beers while climbing the day of these photos. yummmy.

MudGrrl

AAAAH! Monkeys stole my math!
Mar 4, 2004
Boston....outside of it....
biggins said:
my advice to new climbers is to think about it this way: your hands hold you into the rock while your feet move you up it.
too many of us rely on our arms from the get go.

my arms absolutely scream after climbing, but my legs feel normal.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
biggins said:
you are going the right route for it. the only way to become a better climber is by climbing. its very much like riding in that respect. you can work out and get super fit but that doesnt replace the technique gained by climbing a lot. my advice to new climbers is to think about it this way: your hands hold you into the rock while your feet move you up it.

Seeing as though my legs are disporportionally stronger than the rest of my body I figured that one out early. I try to never hang on my hands. It doesn't matter anyway, 30 seconds after holding onto a little pinch my forearms are so pumped up I'm worthless. Building a little campus board in the basement to work on it.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
Westy said:
Seeing as though my legs are disporportionally stronger than the rest of my body I figured that one out early. I try to never hang on my hands. It doesn't matter anyway, 30 seconds after holding onto a little pinch my forearms are so pumped up I'm worthless. Building a little campus board in the basement to work on it.
campus boards will certainly build raw power and strength just be sure to WARM UP before using them. i know a lot of people who have been injured due to cmpus boards. the way our basement was setup in my old house was with a hang board for warming up and campus board for post warm up then a 45 degree overhanging wall as well.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
also one of the best instructional books to get would be Better Bouldering by John Sherman.

it is bouldering oriented and heavy on the technique that can be transfered over to roped climbing.