Quantcast

a few macbook questions

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
So my 13" Macbook (midrange white one) is arriving any day now and I want to ask a few questions about it.

Is Boot Camp effective? I ask because I wouldn't mind being able to run the PC games I have and others in the future, but if it bogs down the system it's not worth it.

Also, are there any need-to-have free apps out there that make things much better? I share an iMac at home but I don't really customize it at all because 2 other people use it. This is strictly mine though so I want to play a bit.

Next, how do people like Aperature compared to PS? I'm using PS with no problems, but if it's better, I'll make the switch. Is it more streamlined than PS?

I played with a program called Colors today that seemed really really good, but I couldn't find it on the mac site or anywhere else for that matter.

Finally, I'll be taking it to Spain next year. What power adapter will I need? I don't really want the world travel kit, because most of the countries included I'll most likely never visit.

I lied, one more question? How's the Kensington mini optical mouse? For $15 it seems like a pretty good investment, as I'm not huge on trackpads.

Thanks a lot and sorry for my essay.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
Aperture is more of a cataloging program for photographers I thought. There's prolly some edit features, but I have not heard good things about it.

For image editing, Photoshop is king.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
OK let's see. For Spain you will need a 2 or 3 prong round adapter, like the standard EU one. Some places are 2 prong, some 3. i THINK 2 prong works in all cases. This is a fantastic resource: http://kropla.com/electric2.htm It's 230v 50hz, so make sure your electrobnics transformers will do that (most laptops, cellphone chargeers etc will no problem).

Photoshop is great. Aperture is laggy and will suck on your macbook. It does however contain a full catalogin, editing and processing suite. Lightroom is much better in my opinion. Personally I use Iview to catalog and C1 pro to process.

Boot camp is 100% effective. All it does is create a windows compatible partition and burn you a cd of drivers specific to your hardware for use in windows (Mac keyboard driver, video card etc etc). There is no emulation going on, you are running windows natively just like you would on a normal PC.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Cool, thanks a lot for your help. Sounds like Aperture isn't what I'm looking for, I can organize my own stuff just fine.

Boot camp here I come.