Quantcast

A few Maribor track pics up on Vital

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
http://www.vitalmtb.com/forums/The-Hub,2/2010-Maribor-World-Cup,3506

looks like the finish of the track is a bit different (pic 10)... looks like there has been some construction around the base area there, and new gondola towers, haha.

gotta love the wide fast rough and rooty woods there, so much fun to ride/race it feels like a forest Rally from the rock garden down.

on that note, it would be cool to see some of the 7-10 year old tracks in this part of the world get an update from their current "single track through the woods" style to match what is going on in Europe.

World Cup #1 in one week.... PUMPED

Last edited:

Pip3r

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2001
Foxboro MA
Looks so rad. And I completely agree on the comment of tracks around here needing to learn a thing or 2 from WC style tracks. I dont understand why everything always has to be gnar brah single track. Race courses dont have to be hard to ride, they should allow the competition to be between you and the other racers not between your handlebars and fitting between tight trees.

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
Maribor is pretty wild... timewise it seems like a "short" track but when you go up and walk down it is super long.

the past few years the Men's podium had an average speed of close to 30mph (32mph for Sam in 08)... with the exception of the start and finish straights and 50 meters of fire road after the rock garden the entire track is in the trees... the sense of speed you get in the woods is nuts.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
http://www.vitalmtb.com/forums/The-Hub,2/2010-Maribor-World-Cup,3506

looks like the finish of the track is a bit different (pic 10)... looks like there has been some construction around the base area there, and new gondola towers, haha.

gotta love the wide fast rough and rooty woods there, so much fun to ride/race it feels like a forest Rally from the rock garden down.

on that note, it would be cool to see some of the 7-10 year old tracks in this part of the world get an update from their current "single track through the woods" style to match what is going on in Europe.

World Cup #1 in one week.... PUMPED
It's actualy the same on this side of the pond. Only for some bigger evens and in bikeparks trails get wider. I would like more wider dh tracks here as well and I'm sure as hell I'm living closer to Maribor ;)

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Maribor is pretty wild... timewise it seems like a "short" track but when you go up and walk down it is super long.

the past few years the Men's podium had an average speed of close to 30mph (32mph for Sam in 08)... with the exception of the start and finish straights and 50 meters of fire road after the rock garden the entire track is in the trees... the sense of speed you get in the woods is nuts.
I would love to go watch, thats moving through the trees...

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved

Capricorn

Monkey
Jan 9, 2010
Cape Town, ZA
yeah, but they cant rip thru there like that anymore.t hat rock garden has become...ominous. It's ubergnarly and even hill shows that bit of track some respect, and judging from those Schusler pics, nothing's changed: I bet Bryceland still has nightmares of that rockgarden. Didn't they name that tree stump in his honor?

numerik

Monkey
Jul 22, 2005
Slovenia, Europe
Rock garden most likely won't be as straight as it was. There's not much dirt in there nowdays. The speeds of top riders were ridiculus last 2 years.
I rode the track today...really rough and fast as always. So hard to hang on for the entire run.
The finish is now at the right side of NEW gondola, with a big fast berm leading out of woods and a semi big table to the finish line.

Capricorn

Monkey
Jan 9, 2010
Cape Town, ZA
numeriK: is the track longer or shorter than previous years. Was just looking at monkey Seb's stats over on RootsandRain.co.uk, so a track change will make for an apples to pears comparison. Pity though, as those stats of seb's are awesome!

numerik

Monkey
Jul 22, 2005
Slovenia, Europe
The lenght of the track is basically the same as last year, but that is a bit different than 07&08 (no big fast berms in the middle of the track now, different exit out of first woods).

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Will it still be in such horrible condition 2 months after the race as in the previous years? (was ther 2 years ago) I'm thinking of dropping by and as much as I like the park route that track rocks though the top part with no tapes and some bushes is hard to find (in terms of where you are going).

Pelle

Chimp
Nov 21, 2008
That rockgarden is f-ing scary irl. How they can go so fast down there is just sick!

I'm thinking of dropping by and as much as I like the park route that track rocks though the top part with no tapes and some bushes is hard to find (in terms of where you are going).
The coolest trails we found was up on the left side looking up at the hill. Loamy hero dirt and soo fun :)
I bet there is much more to find too.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Yeah I'm bad at finding anything while I ride though(well I find trees very good but at the same point it's missing your line so it doesn't count I've heard about many great trails there. Will check it out.

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
That rockgarden is f-ing scary irl. How they can go so fast down there is just sick!

yes it is, i remember seeing video of it after racing there in 07 and was amazed at how "flat" it looked.

the whole track is very steep, but the rock garden is ridiculous. the last 100 feet where you come around the tree (where vid of Sam picks up) feel like the ground disappears from under you as the grade of the hill just drops away.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
yes it is, i remember seeing video of it after racing there in 07 and was amazed at how "flat" it looked.

the whole track is very steep, but the rock garden is ridiculous. the last 100 feet where you come around the tree (where vid of Sam picks up) feel like the ground disappears from under you as the grade of the hill just drops away.
What makes it more scary is the sounds your wheels start to make over certain speed at it ;) My bike started making sounds very fast even at the first try when I was really going slow threw it.