Quantcast

a few of my shots

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
some quick thoughts.

1 - i like the juxtaposition of asthma inhaler (thoguh it took me a bit to figure out that's what it was) and burning cig. good composition too, and i like how you rolled the cig and the way the 'turkish royal' type read. nice photo.

2 - needs a tripod but good comp

3 - again a strong comp, i like the idea as well. good shot.

4 - too busy/confusing for me. not sure if there are multiple reflections going on.

5 - i quickly grew tired of selective color, but again i like the composition. you have a good eye, and that's so much more important than how good yr camera or lens is, really.

6 - horizon is not horizontal. image doesn't grab me.

7 - excellent.

8 - nice symmetry

9 - ok, not really my thing though

10 - very cool. excellent lens flare, however unintended

overall i think these are strong images. well done.

lovebunny

can i lick your balls?
Dec 14, 2003
San Diego, California, United States
some quick thoughts.

1 - i like the juxtaposition of asthma inhaler (thoguh it took me a bit to figure out that's what it was) and burning cig. good composition too, and i like how you rolled the cig and the way the 'turkish royal' type read. nice photo.

2 - needs a tripod but good comp

3 - again a strong comp, i like the idea as well. good shot.

4 - too busy/confusing for me. not sure if there are multiple reflections going on.

5 - i quickly grew tired of selective color, but again i like the composition. you have a good eye, and that's so much more important than how good yr camera or lens is, really.

6 - horizon is not horizontal. image doesn't grab me.

7 - excellent.

8 - nice symmetry

9 - ok, not really my thing though

10 - very cool. excellent lens flare, however unintended

overall i think these are strong images. well done.
thanks alot. for the critique. i appreciate it. i will take any advice to make my photos better. thanks for the compliments as well. im still learning. im gonna buy a nicer camera here pretty soon. i was thinking a rebel xti. im using a canon powershot sd20 and a 1970s pentax mx slr right now

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
a couple of things...it's easy to get caught up into the equipment side of things, and go crazy spending $. of course a great body and pro lenses are capable of incredible image quality, but they also need to be in the right hands to make an interesting image, and/or to have full control of the shot. an XTi would make an excellent camera for starting out. if you don't have the $, consider a used XT and/or roll some of that $ into stuff you could need (lens, memory, external flash, tripod, etc).

there are a couple of books which helped me a lot, one of which is _Understanding Exposure_ by bryan peterson. very good read.

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
I completely agree with narlus on the pictures. I particularly like #1.

I've started reading the book "Understanding Exposure", and it's a good book, not only does it cover the basics of exposure, but has lots of examples to illustrate the author's points, which is very helpful.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
1 & 10 are pinner nice. 1 has disgustingly awesome composition, 10 as well with the lens flare - I LIKE!

The other ones didn't do much for me. Composition on them didn't strike me as particularly strong, though 6 could be pretty good with a little post-op chopping. Lower third of the burger on 7 is slightly out of focus and the photo would be much stronger with it in. Lower fstop maybe? Not sure what you're shooting with here...

lovebunny

can i lick your balls?
Dec 14, 2003
San Diego, California, United States
1 & 10 are pinner nice. 1 has disgustingly awesome composition, 10 as well with the lens flare - I LIKE!

The other ones didn't do much for me. Composition on them didn't strike me as particularly strong, though 6 could be pretty good with a little post-op chopping. Lower third of the burger on 7 is slightly out of focus and the photo would be much stronger with it in. Lower fstop maybe? Not sure what you're shooting with here...
just a canon sd20 p&s