Quantcast

A few questions for evolutionsist

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
Originally posted by Serial Midget
Whahahahaha - much as you hate to admit it - you really do sound like a prime example of a rabid American style consumer. Once you're Stateside and have easy access to guns and ammo - there will be no stopping you. :thumb:

Who luvs ya baby???? :D :D :D

yo midge, consume consume consume

i mean f*ck it, why not ??? can t spend it when ya dead... the states hasn t made me any more of a consumer than i already was... i like my toys, i have the money so why not... life is too short not to enjoy yaself...

and (hand) guns are retarded... i mean they re ok if ya want ya kids to shoot themselves or take em to school and go columbine.. otherwise forget it.. i can t even talk about the subject with my father in law... he s a NRA kinda guy (they live in texas)... trying to explain to him that it is nice to know that there are no handguns around (ie. australia) rather than not knowing who is carrying what is just impossible (did that make sense ??? - you get what i mean )...

anyway haven t you got a basket to weave ? can t carry all that homegrown produce back to your humpy in ya bare hands now :)

later Y bro

parts

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
Originally posted by Sideways
All that you are aware of is perceived through extraordinarily limited sensing and comprehensive ability.
The only thing that suggests the existence of anything is your fallible perception.
:rolleyes: It was only a matter of time before someone busted out with something like this.

What about extra dimentional perseption and energy strings? Hell if we had more senses maybe we would be able to pick them up. Or maybe we would be able to sense the other dimentions that are overlapping our own. Hell there could be an extradimentional being sitting in your lap right now and neither it not you even know its going on.

Lets just stick to the tangible though eh? Extra perception is bordering on the sci-fi.

mrbigisbudgood

Strangely intrigued by Echo
Oct 30, 2001
Charlotte, NC
Originally posted by golgiaparatus
:rolleyes: It was only a matter of time before someone busted out with something like this.

What about extra dimentional perseption and energy strings? Hell if we had more senses maybe we would be able to pick them up. Or maybe we would be able to sense the other dimentions that are overlapping our own. Hell there could be an extradimentional being sitting in your lap right now and neither it not you even know its going on.

Lets just stick to the tangible though eh? Extra perception is bordering on the sci-fi.
Extra perception is not sci-fi. We are perfectly capable of operating in the spirit world and using other senses. We are not cultivated as children to use these senses (we learn math instead), therefore, they just kind of fall away. You don't excercise it, you loose it.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Originally posted by SuzyCreamcheese
Of course humans created time as an explanantion of the observed motion. What are past, present and future but human explanantions of what they think is going on around them?

A parable:
A man is walking along a road and sees a farmer under an apple tree holding a pig above his head. The pig gets an apple and eats it. Then the farmer holds the pig up again and the pig again takes an apple. The man watches this for several minutes and then approaches the farmer.
"You know" he says " You can save a lot of time by just picking a bunch of apples and putting them in a trough for the pig."

"Yes" replies the farmer "but what is time to a pig?"

The Cheese
Humans did NOT create time. We created a measure for time and that measure is based on the movements of the solar system. However, Time and the movements of the solar system are not the same thing. If our sun explodes and wipes out our solar system time will still exist and it will still keep "moving" forward.

Wether the universe was created by a big bang or by god saying let there be light there was still a "before" and that before is a reference to time. We know that there is a present, we also know that there will be a future withere we are there to observe it... that is irrelevent(sp).

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Originally posted by mrbigisbudgood
Extra perception is not sci-fi. We are perfectly capable of operating in the spirit world and using other senses. We are not cultivated as children to use these senses (we learn math instead), therefore, they just kind of fall away. You don't excercise it, you loose it.
By sci-fi I did not mean to insult. The reason I said sci-fi... Fiction=an imaginary story told in a way that makes it seem like a fact...

Allow me to elaborate based on what you just said: "We are perfectly capable of operating in the spirit world and using other senses".

This is not tangible and therefore you dont know this to be a fact. But you imagine it to be a fact.

Hell, I believe other dimentions to exist. This belief is based on what I imagine must be true but I dont go around stating thee things like Ive witnessed them. I havent. I just know that there MUST be senses other than the ones that I know about therefore, IF I had them I MIGHT be able to see something beyond what I already know. Then again maybe this new sence would just back up my other senses.

Again, I dont know, you dont know, nobody knows, ad until we develop a new sense, nobody will ever know.

Again if I state somethin that I imagine is real like its a fact then I just created fiction :) If it is based on somethin' that can be classified as science then hell, I just created Science-fiction, See what I mean :D

Sideways

Monkey
Jun 8, 2002
Asheville, North Carolina
Originally posted by golgiaparatus

What are you talking about extra dimentions?
I've never seen them....the concept of extra dimensions is purely of human origin, as are dimensions in the first place.
All are constructs built on how we interpret what we percieve.
Perception and interpretation, both are through the human lens...which I'd say is pretty damn cloudy.

Any theory that attempts to solve origin of the universe and life is complete BS.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Originally posted by Sideways
What are you talking about extra dimentions?
I've never seen them....the concept of extra dimensions is purely of human origin, as are dimensions in the first place.
All are constructs built on how we interpret what we percieve.
Perception and interpretation, both are through the human lens...which I'd say is pretty damn cloudy.

Any theory that attempts to solve origin of the universe and life is complete BS.
hehe, dude I wasnt serious, I was making fun of your last statement :D

However I was stating real philosophical ideas that I think are absolutely rediculous since they are based solely on someones imagination. But the people that push this stuff as fact use the "our senses are limited and fallable" to argue their point.

However, again, It could be true. All we know is that we dont.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
jesus (irony intended), just because our senses are fallible does NOT make modern science worthless. re-read my comments on the "great deceiver" (straight from descartes, my friends), please.

RockTumbler

Chimp
Jun 10, 2003
San Diego
Do you believe the bible over scientific proof? At least with science you can reproduce the process... Do you believe in Magic? Magic and Religion are the same concept. You have to "imagine" and believe...

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
Originally posted by MMike
Creationism is just plain stupid.

(And I have no intention whatsoever of formulating some sort of intelligent argument. So all you religious zealots who had planned on bashing me for "posting such nonsense and not adding anything of value to this thread"......can just cram it. I am merely just stating a fact. So cram it.)
You Dumbass.

Fact or theory MMike?

Evolutionism is also plain stupid.

The answer is irrelevant. Perhaps if all the time wasted philosophising were spent doing good things, life would be much better.

But then there's so much in that sentence that is woolly that it also is plain stupid.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
Originally posted by fluff
You Dumbass.

Fact or theory MMike?

Evolutionism is also plain stupid.

The answer is irrelevant. Perhaps if all the time wasted philosophising were spent doing good things, life would be much better.

But then there's so much in that sentence that is woolly that it also is plain stupid.

Did you miss the part about cramming it?

ummbikes

Don't mess with the Santas
Apr 16, 2002
Napavine, Warshington
Originally posted by RockTumbler
Do you believe the bible over scientific proof? At least with science you can reproduce the process...

Dang dude this one is too easy. I'll give you a handfull of carbon and some water, make life.:p

Jr_Bullit

I'm sooo teenie weenie!!!
Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
What I've never understood is why you have to be on one side of the line or the other...???:confused:

Both creationism and evolution theories were discussed in my schools as possible explanations for life in general...but I've never seen the two as wholly conflicting theories...(yeah yeah, I also don't go to church and I made a point of falling asleep in most of my science classes :p)

But seriously...why Can't evolution have taken place...with a little help?

On a more fun note...who's going to be star gazing next Wednesday night? Mars will be at it's closest point to the earth in 60,000 years!!!! :eek: :D

I'm definitely thinking it's time to haul the ole sleeping bag onto the roof at my parents house with the telscope and some munchies :D

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
Originally posted by MMike
Did you miss the part about cramming it?
Almost, but as I am not a religious zealot I deduced it did not apply to me.

Anyway, it was a long post, you wouldn't expect me to read it all wudya? I only just made it to the end of your reply.

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
Originally posted by Jr_Bullit
What I've never understood is why you have to be on one side of the line or the other...???:confused:

Both creationism and evolution theories were discussed in my schools as possible explanations for life in general...but I've never seen the two as wholly conflicting theories...
Yeah, it's kinda like we were made with outside help or we made ourselves with luck and outside influence.

Doesn't change where we are, just how we got here.

Jr_Bullit

I'm sooo teenie weenie!!!
Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
Originally posted by fluff
Yeah, it's kinda like we were made with outside help or we made ourselves with luck and outside influence.

Doesn't change where we are, just how we got here.
Okay - so why argue about it...??? Neither side is going to be proved right in our lifetimes...most likely - and even if it does get proved in our lifetimes, most likely the truth is really beyond any of us at this time or juncture...

So....seems to me we're getting our panties in knots over something you have no control over. Why not have pleasant thoughtful debates that encompass ideas and expands upon them in order to grow the theories and advance ourselves to the point where the truth becomes comprehensible?

LoboDelFuego

Monkey
Mar 5, 2002
Why the hell does this keep coming up? You know no one’s ever going to answer it!

There are 2 main reasons why we teach evolution in school.

1. Evolution is derived through a scientific process. As humans we like the scientific method. We all think its cool. Therefore we like when it is used and we like showing how by using it we can find out about **** that happened long before we could even talk. I think that’s pretty cool and I think it motivates kids to study and learn. Evolutionary biology is one of the few fields in which there are still wide open horizons, but nobody researches them because there’s no economic incentive. One of the reasons I still like dinosaurs is because of evolutionary theory and seeing how they changed.

2. Creationism is often based in religion. Actually, almost always. This sucks. Why? First it brings religion into the classroom. Nobody likes that because now the state is preaching about the supernatural. *cough* cough *agamben* biopolitics* cough cough*. Whereas the TOE says “look kids. We think it happened this way. But there’s a lot of missing links. Maybe you can discover them when you grow up.”, Creationism goes “ Look at this old text. It says here that all this was instantly created by ____. I guess that solves that. Lets go home and pray.”

Religion is the opiate of the masses. We don’t want kids doing their science homework on opium.

Moogie

Monkey
Nov 27, 2001
SEATTLE, WASHINGTON
Originally posted by LoboDelFuego

Religion is the opiate of the masses. We don’t want kids doing their science homework on opium.
word. both my parents are scientists, and i dont agree with religion.

i find that religion is a good motivator for people in need of motivation, but all the creationist crap is sooo bs.

theres no evidence of a god. people blame too many things on gods, and they just need to get out of that train of thought and except that somebody is dead, and they wont be going anywhere but the ground. i know it may sound depressing, but for me its the truth.

history has shown us that people can make others believe anything, and religion is the best example of that.

i believe in evolution and scientific process. some things happen, even if we dont know how or why. in the universe, we know .00000001 % of what is actually happening and why its happening. we just cant blame the 99.99999% of the other stuff on some hyped up religious being.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Duh!

The reason evolution is taught in schools is becuase the "all-powerful" god can't just have everyone beleiving in him. There needs to be a viable alternative so that non-believers can have something to fall back on, else god would be the only choice, and that'd eliminate any kind of a need for faith.

You religous types should appreciate this.

Babar

Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
Colorado
Originally posted by LoboDelFuego
Why the hell does this keep coming up? You know no one’s ever going to answer it!

There are 2 main reasons why we teach evolution in school.

1. Evolution is derived through a scientific process. As humans we like the scientific method. We all think its cool. Therefore we like when it is used and we like showing how by using it we can find out about **** that happened long before we could even talk. I think that’s pretty cool and I think it motivates kids to study and learn. Evolutionary biology is one of the few fields in which there are still wide open horizons, but nobody researches them because there’s no economic incentive. One of the reasons I still like dinosaurs is because of evolutionary theory and seeing how they changed.

2. Creationism is often based in religion. Actually, almost always. This sucks. Why? First it brings religion into the classroom. Nobody likes that because now the state is preaching about the supernatural. *cough* cough *agamben* biopolitics* cough cough*. Whereas the TOE says “look kids. We think it happened this way. But there’s a lot of missing links. Maybe you can discover them when you grow up.”, Creationism goes “ Look at this old text. It says here that all this was instantly created by ____. I guess that solves that. Lets go home and pray.”

Wha ? Plenty out there to study and learn from creationism.

we are taught lots of things in sience class that are throries not laws and nobody seems to object to it. Its a theroy so you can belive it or not its your choice. If you cant figure out that it is not neccisarily a fact from the word "Theory" insded of "Law" preculding "of evolution", then you are to dumb to worry about offending :rolleyes:

part of my opinion might be base on my lack of faith in religion and the desire to hit the fundamentalist who sits next to me in biology ever time he objects to a scintific pricple and replaces it with his dogma) :angry: