Quantcast

A Few SX Trail/Enduro Questions

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
OK, right now I've got a Demo 8 and an S-Works Enduro on the way. I'm considering turning both bikes into just one.

I'm considering:

-The S-works w/ an 8.75 by 2.75 DHX for more travel
-An SX Trail w/ the same shock for the same travel, but low and slack
-An SX Trail w/ the stock shock

Can the SX Trail work with a shorter shock and the same stroke? What will the geo be like? Has anyone tried it?

Also, is there any way to drop in the 66 degree HA shuttle from an SXT into the Enduro for more DH geo?

I think it'd be cool to have an S-Works Enduro set up like the SX Trail because it's M5 tubing so it'd be light. What do you guys think?

Nov 9, 2005
arent the enduro and the sx trail the same frame just the enduro has a shoter stroke shock and its an air shock? i kno punkass put a longer shock on his enduro to get more travel out of it. frame for frame the s-works and sx trail are the same except the rear shocks.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Um no. First of all the tubeset is different, and second of all Punkassean put a longer stroke shock on, not a longer i2i. The Enduro uses an 8.75" i2i and the SX Trail uses a 9.0" i2i. Plus, I don't think you can use the slack shuttle from the SX Trail on the Enduro. Can anyone validate this?

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
SPrider said:
the enduro sx has different tubing and different geo than the enduro sx trail, the enduro sx comes with a fox 7.5x1.75 shock
OK?

Do you happen to know if I can run the 66 degree head angle shuttle from an SX Trail on my 06 Enduro S-Works? Also, would an SX Trail work well with a shorter i2i and the same stroke for better geo?

SPrider

Monkey
Feb 18, 2005
the enduro sx has different tubing and different geo than the enduro sx trail, the enduro sx comes with a fox 7.5x1.75 shock, 9x2.75 for the trail, specialized has custom shock sizes for some of there bikes

SPrider

Monkey
Feb 18, 2005
dont know about the shuttle for sworks, but a 8.75x2.75 would just lower the bb and slacken it out, which is good for dh, give it a try

SPrider

Monkey
Feb 18, 2005
ya if i had one i would do that for sure, i dont ride much trails, it would just be a mini dh bike

pbr

Chimp
Aug 18, 2003
San Francisco
Bicyclist said:
OK?

Do you happen to know if I can run the 66 degree head angle shuttle from an SX Trail on my 06 Enduro S-Works? Also, would an SX Trail work well with a shorter i2i and the same stroke for better geo?

I curious about how your quest in dialing the quiver in goes. We have the same taste in bikes- I have a 05 demo 8 and I had an evil doc. The high bb of the doc doesn't aid in cornering, so I replaced it with a 06 p3. I also have an 05 enduro pro. I'm debating though, the demo 8 feels so heavy I don't ride it much. I guess ideally I'd just have one of each bike specialized makes. Their stuff has been getting really dialed in the last season or two..

preppie

Monkey
Aug 30, 2002
Europe
I have a SX trail and the linkage is pretty close to the seattube'wings' when bottoming.
So with a shorter eye2eye shock the linkage 'could' hit the seatstay when bottoming.
I haven't actually tried to fit a 8.75" shock, but keep this in mind.

I believe the 2006 SX trail shuttles don't fit on a 2006 S-works or regular enduro.
So my vote goes to the S-works w/ an 8.75 by 2.75 DHX, just like Punkassean did.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
there is a huge thread on MTBR in the specialized section about coil shock options on Enduro´s, and it explains almost all of your questions. You can not put the sx trail shuttle on a regular enduro, it will not fit. I am willing to bet you´d like an SX trail out of the box, the one I rode did not seem tall or steep by any means at all.

I love my SX with a coil shock attatched, I just got a light 450lb spring and raced a Megavalanche, and i was taking stuff way faster than on my demo8. Every time i ride the sx, i realize how much i do not like the tall, steep and heavy demo8. Have you ridden the sx trail yet? Enduros have weak chainstays, i have broken a pair and seen many others broken as well. The SX trail has different stays that are more gusseted. That alone would validate an sx trail in my eyes. Who cares if there is a supposed warranty, i´ve seen Specialized deny a couple warranties, and if they break in the middle of no where, or on a big drop, you´ll be taking one for the team.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I think I may keep the Demo for lifts and turn my Enduro into a mini-DH bike. Although having just an SX Trail is sounding better and better, and it would save me a buttload of money. I guess for 99% of the stuff I do a Demo is overkill anyways...

PBR, if you want to have a light, quick Demo, ride an SX Trail. It feels SOOOO dialed. You will be blown away.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Bicyclist said:
I think I may keep the Demo for lifts and turn my Enduro into a mini-DH bike. Although having just an SX Trail is sounding better and better, and it would save me a buttload of money. I guess for 99% of the stuff I do a Demo is overkill anyways...

PBR, if you want to have a light, quick Demo, ride an SX Trail. It feels SOOOO dialed. You will be blown away.
It does seem strange to have a Demo 8 and another 6 inch heavy hitter like the Enduro.
Have you ever ridden an 06 Enduro SX (the 4.2 inch mtx version)?
I don't think I have ever had more fun on any bike bombing down trails on it.
Its super low and really stable at speed.
I use it as my all-mountain bike, and my Demo as a pure DH race bike.

pbr

Chimp
Aug 18, 2003
San Francisco
Jeremy R said:
It does seem strange to have a Demo 8 and another 6 inch heavy hitter like the Enduro.
Have you ever ridden an 06 Enduro SX (the 4.2 inch mtx version)?
I don't think I have ever had more fun on any bike bombing down trails on it.
Its super low and really stable at speed.
I use it as my all-mountain bike, and my Demo as a pure DH race bike.

The Enduros are pretty light, and don't feel at all like a big hit bike. With the long TT, it feels like an XC bike, except its very capable of hitting rough stuff. I looked in a an SX a little, but then I wouldn't have an XC bike anymore. (TT is short, feels like a different bike, definitely fun, but not all mountain- would love one for racing slalom though)

The 07 Demo 7 looks interesting though. Although I again run into having to really similar bikes with different builds. Which is cool, but it's a lot of money to feed the credit card. I guess I could get a stumpy 120 and that would make them different enough. I wouldn't mind having the old enduro frame with a rp23 either.(keep the slacker headtube I love about the enduros)

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Mark.. Keep the Demo the way it is, keep the Enduro the way it should be. Ride more, fret less. You've got some great bikes, don't overanylize 'em ;)

If you "DH" that enduro it overlaps with the Demo too much. "XC" your Enduro instead. Get that fugger light and ride the hell out out of it!

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
pbr said:
The Enduros are pretty light, and don't feel at all like a big hit bike. With the long TT, it feels like an XC bike, except its very capable of hitting rough stuff. I looked in a an SX a little, but then I wouldn't have an XC bike anymore. (TT is short, feels like a different bike, definitely fun, but not all mountain- would love one for racing slalom though)
The top tube on my SX (long) is the exact same as the regular enduro medium which is what I would ride.
The top tube on my SX is actually longer than the medium 5-spot that I replaced it with.
I have done some 4 hour death marches through Pisgah on it that indeed says it is all-mountain.:)

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Noah, I guess I was just thinking of having one big bike, one DJ bike, and a SS XC bike. I guess I can justify 4 though, and with no overhead I can blow my money on bikes anyways. I guess a DH Demo, a trail Enduro, a SS, and a DJ bike would be a damn good stable.

pbr

Chimp
Aug 18, 2003
San Francisco
I keep coming back to this thread. I don't ride my Demo that often here in the Bay Area, and the Enduro feels like an xc bike with a lot of travel.. I keep thinking about the SX trail.. I really want to see what the '07 is going to look like.. Plus I just checked the Specialized IBD site and they have 2 '06 SX models left.

An SX with a ti spring and two sets of wheels (one for trails, one for big hit riding) might be the ticket. Or maybe a demo 7 built around 36lbs and an entry level enduro with the shorter stroke shock(for xc/trails)?

if I got to ride more dh stuff, I'd probably leave my quiver as is..(Demo 8, Enduro, P3 & single speed) but it's sad to have a new dh bike sitting in my closet..

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I think a Demo 7 would be good for you; the SX Trail pretty much feels like an Enduro. I would wait to see what Specialized comes up with this next year, and get whatever fits the bill.

For a trail bike the Enduro is overkill IMO, and I'm dealing with that right now. It's not fun riding up. Not too much different than my Demo.

I say a Demo 7 for DH built light (so that you'll use it) and a SJ FSR would be cool. However, do you really need a trail bike if you've already got a SS?

pbr

Chimp
Aug 18, 2003
San Francisco
Bicyclist said:
I think a Demo 7 would be good for you; the SX Trail pretty much feels like an Enduro. I would wait to see what Specialized comes up with this next year, and get whatever fits the bill.

For a trail bike the Enduro is overkill IMO, and I'm dealing with that right now. It's not fun riding up. Not too much different than my Demo.

I say a Demo 7 for DH built light (so that you'll use it) and a SJ FSR would be cool. However, do you really need a trail bike if you've already got a SS?
That's pretty much what I have been thinking, although I think my demo and my enduro ride completely different. Besides the angles, I have way bigger tires and rims on the dh bike, so there is over a 10lb. difference between the two.

I think the Enduro rides great as a trail bike, although if I could pick up on old enduro on the cheap, that would be tempting to build up for an all mountain rig. The stumpy is pretty cool, but I like the more laid back angles of the Enduros. Since the enduro I have (med) has a 23 + top tube, the cockpit feels like a XC bike to me. I agree though, that the travel is over kill. (for riding your average trails)

It's damn hard finding a bike that is fun to ride everything on. I am curious of how the SX rides on trails though. The regular enduro feels a bit sketchy when you pin it at dh speeds. The slightly shorter tt and slacked out headtube of the 06 model sounds interesting. I'll bet with a ti spring it wouldn't be that much heavier, and it would increase the dh capabilities with out too much of a sacrifice on the uphills. Especially with a Talas 36.

Another interesting thought: a lot of local nor-cal dh kids I know are building up full blown dh rigs using the big hit frame as their platform. When they're riding less rocky stuff, they're using single ply 2.5s and lighter components. They're claiming sub 37lb. builds with an 8 inch travel bike. Talk about flickable. Either way, the trend for next season seems to be to lighter more slopestyle bikes, which I'm definitely stoked on.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
PBR, have you considered a BCD at all? 8 pound frame, carbon w/ 4 year warranty and modular construction and full custom geo.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
i've been so close to picking up one of those 2005 SXs that Specialized still has. i just can't get myself to pull the trigger. especially after riding the MotoLite. this thread reminds just how many times i've considered the SX frame.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
i mainly want a trail bike. something i can be comfortable on for 3hrs. stable going down, yet still able to climb. i'd much rather go down fast and come up slowly than vice versa.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Don't get an SX. I tried it with one of the old ones and it's just not meant to be a trail bike.

Specialized had 05 Enduro Experts for a while on clearance, you may want to check those out. Fox 36, 3 rings, good wheels, nice shifting stuff. The most DH oriented trail bike you'd want to still go up on.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
good to know. 36 = more travel than i want. i know i can get SC stuff at a good price...hmmm...maybe i should re-open the Blur 4X book. SC has just about every color in stock right now.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
Bicyclist said:
Don't get an SX. I tried it with one of the old ones and it's just not meant to be a trail bike.
You are talking out of ole toofless again.:)
People have been trailriding the hell out of the SX frames for years now. Saying one is not meant to be a trail bike is almost as silly as saying the Demo 8 is not a race frame. Quick somebody rush out and tell Curtis Keene and Chris Herndon to slow down and quit hauling azz, because they are not on race frames.:rofl:
The SX is exactly what I wanted for a trail bike, and 80% of my riding is trailriding. I wanted something super low and slack with not much travel. Its got 4.2 inches of travel which is spot on for carving single track. I rode the almighty Turner 5-spot for 2 years before getting the SX, and for xc oriented riders wanting 5 inches of travel it is perfect for that. But the SX just hauls it and has made my trailriding twice as fun. They may not fit everybody though. I have the SX long frame and it has the same top tube as a medium regular 6 inch enduro. I am 5'10 and if I was any taller I would have to go a long stem which kinda defeats the purpose of the bike. As it is now, I am running a 70mm stem and I am all smiles.
This weekend I did a ride with a couple of other guys, one on an 05 SX and the other on the Morewood slalom frame. These bikes in general are just a blast, especially if you already own a DH bike.
I just don't need a 6 inch trail bike for what I want to do.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Dude, I'd MUCH rather ride an Enduro uphill than a slalom bike. I understand they're fun but my SX was really short (the Enduro is more stretched out) and the seatpost extension sucks. Fun but not too practical IMO.

EDIT: Just re-read your post to find a Med. Enduro's TT is the same as a Long SX. Hrm, I'd like me one of them. :D I are raed good sometimes.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
Bicyclist said:
Dude, I'd MUCH rather ride an Enduro uphill than a slalom bike. I understand they're fun but my SX was really short (the Enduro is more stretched out) and the seatpost extension sucks. Fun but not too practical IMO.

EDIT: Just re-read your post to find a Med. Enduro's TT is the same as a Long SX. Hrm, I'd like me one of them. :D I are raed good sometimes.
Honestly dude, I studied the crap out of the numbers before I got the SX. The top tube is fine for me, and the seat post extension is the same as on the regular enduro as well.
Granted, it does not put you in the same climbing position as my old 5-spot simply because the head angle is slacker, the seat angle is more relaxed and the chainstays are shorter.
But it still climbs comfortably, and with 4 inches of travel and an Rp3 shock bob is not an issue at all.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
the TT on the Long SX is just about the same as the Blur 4X. the TT on the ML i rode was shorter than both.

i remember when things were simple and i bought bikes based on how cool they looked.

pbr

Chimp
Aug 18, 2003
San Francisco
Jeremy R said:
Honestly dude, I studied the crap out of the numbers before I got the SX. The top tube is fine for me, and the seat post extension is the same as on the regular enduro as well.
Granted, it does not put you in the same climbing position as my old 5-spot simply because the head angle is slacker, the seat angle is more relaxed and the chainstays are shorter.
But it still climbs comfortably, and with 4 inches of travel and an Rp3 shock bob is not an issue at all.

I was looking at that bike too. As for the BCD suggested, I really like the way the Enduro/ Demo bikes ride a lot. I just like the light weight of the enduro, but I want the slack of the Demo. I have a feeling I would never be happy with just one full suspension bike anyway. I love having sweet bikes to ride. A silly thing to spend tons of time (and money)pondering, but that is the point of being a bike geek and working in the industry. No matter what, I'll spend more time riding my hardtail anyway.

I just wanna see what they have coming out for 07 already.