Quantcast

A flaming box of Sette dung arrived on my doorstep

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
After much deliberation, Rob and I finally settled on a pair of Sette Quasar 25 function heart rate monitors. Price Point was running a special and advertising the crap out of them. A week later the package arrives. I program the watch, set the belt and suddenly, according to Sette's marvelous invention, apparently I'm no longer among the living. I tried every troubleshooting move just short of stomping on it. I tried to remove the screws to take out the battery and they were in so tightly that a piece of my precision screwdriver broke off. :mumble: I finally removed the other watch and transmitter only to find out that that one was a piece of digital dung too. Price Point was cool about the return and a deeper internet search showed that this 1-star rated HRM's battery tends to rust inside the transmitter before or after totally crapping out.

*rant over*

Now we're back to looking again. The Polar FS1 looks nice. Anyone know if it's good? It's getting good reviews. We just want something basic and not too pricey.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Do you have a reflection in the mirror? Maybe you are a vampire. Which would make you UNdead.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Dude..... Aubrey bought me one too for Christmas and I had the same results!!!!!

Now I'm looking for a new one still.

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
bluebug32 said:
After much deliberation, Rob and I finally settled on a pair of Sette Quasar 25 function heart rate monitors. Price Point was running a special and advertising the crap out of them. A week later the package arrives. I program the watch, set the belt and suddenly, according to Sette's marvelous invention, apparently I'm no longer among the living. I tried every troubleshooting move just short of stomping on it. I tried to remove the screws to take out the battery and they were in so tightly that a piece of my precision screwdriver broke off. :mumble: I finally removed the other watch and transmitter only to find out that that one was a piece of digital dung too. Price Point was cool about the return and a deeper internet search showed that this 1-star rated HRM's battery tends to rust inside the transmitter before or after totally crapping out.

*rant over*

Now we're back to looking again. The Polar FS1 looks nice. Anyone know if it's good? It's getting good reviews. We just want something basic and not too pricey.

Pretty much anything polar makes is good. If you have few bucks and want a gps too there is always the new garmin.......

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
So basically, you bought something without doing your research and now you're pissed that you got bit in the ass. I can understand that, but next time ask around first. That's why we're here. ;)

I have a Timex Ironman HRM that I bought in WALMART a few years ago and it works great.

Edit: WHOOPS!!! I see you DID ask about a Sette HRM and the monkeys told you to buy it. Bad monkeys!!!

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
bluebug32 said:
to quote Rob: "Price Point are a cum guzzling douche nuggets"

word.
That's not a nice thing to say at all about PricePoint. Especially after you stated they were cool about the return. Rob's command of the king's English in that quote, while baudily impressive and yet shamelessly misdirected, kinda disappoints me here. Sounds like the problem is with Sette, not PricePoint.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Sorry to hear you had bad luck with them :( Atleast PricePoint was good about the return on them. I have a Timex HRM (got it on special at Nashbar) and it's great...never had a problem. The Polar ones are really nice too.

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
Greyhound said:
That's not a nice thing to say at all about PricePoint. Especially after you stated they were cool about the return. Rob's command of the king's English in that quote, while baudily impressive and yet shamelessly misdirected, kinda disappoints me here. Sounds like the problem is with Sette, not PricePoint.

I believe Sette is the Pricepoint house brand, like Weyless and Scattante were Supergo's. So Sette and Pricepoint are really the same thing.

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
bluebug32 said:

*rant over*

Just go with Polar...I promise you won't be disappointed.

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
Greyhound said:
I'm not at all annoyed with their return. I'm quite pleased with that.

I am NEVER going to order from them again, however. TWO items that do not work from the same place constitutes me taking my business elsewhere. And on top of that, on Sette's own website, the only distributor seems to be pricepoint, so I'm guessing they have the same parent company.

Narlus got it right. I'm a firm believer in "getting what you pay for". Price was a hard sell on that point, but now I know I need to go with my gut every time. Thankfully, there are some Polars for decent prices out there.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Just get a Polar and be done with it.

A good friend once told me "the joy of a quality product will far outlast the joy of saving a couple bucks"

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Echo said:
Just get a Polar and be done with it.

A good friend once told me "the joy of a quality product will far outlast the joy of saving a couple bucks"
You should write a book with all your sayings in it.

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
I use mine 3 times a week extensively, NEVER an issue. What I like about the Polars is that they work with most Cross-trainers for an accurate read, as opposed to the hand grips that are so inaccurate, that it verges on being dangerous.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
robdamanii said:
I am NEVER going to order from them again, however. TWO items that do not work from the same place constitutes me taking my business elsewhere.
not trying to be an ass here, but that doesn't make any sense. If you bought two race face products or two fox products or whatever from your LBS and they didn't work/broke, you'd go find a new LBS??? Just don't buy Sette stuff anymore... it's not like pricepoint is making that stuff in house or anything. I've never bought from pricepoint, so I have no experience with them... but if they were good about the return, what's the problem with them? The problem is with Sette.