Quantcast

A Geared Raleigh

Guitar Ted

Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
Waterloo, IA
Got this in today. I'll have more to say about it once we get through the other side of this wet winter storm, things dry out, and I can ride again.

Right now I'll say that the large fits like a 20" Karate Monkey for me length-wise, but the 350mm seatpost is still a bit short! Oh well, I won't have to look far in the parts bin for a longer 27.2 post, that's for sure.

I'll probably have to swap out the stem too. This thing is stretching me out a bit far right now! As long as I am at it, it'll get a 25.4mm stem and handlebars.

Surprised to see a Reba SL on the front, that was nice!

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I rode one at the shop this weekend. I might pick it ou as my "do everything else" bike.

I have never considered a 29 before, but I likes the way it felt, so what the hell.

Guitar Ted

Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
Waterloo, IA
Made a few changes. I think this will end up as my long distance, geared 29"er. I'll have to make a few long test runs and experiment with some different gear before it arrives at it's final setup. This will be a temporary phase in it's evolution.

Guitar Ted

Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
Waterloo, IA
I tried those for awhile. I didn't get on with the lack of options for my SRAM triggers. They only would work in one posistion, which kind of jacked up my lever placement too. Ummm.........not my cup o tea! So, off they came and I threw on the Origin 8 Space bar. That's looking much better and the controls can be fitted how I like them.

As far as the bar itself: I'd definitely consider it for a single speed, but they are dang ugly. Mostly due to the goofy use of a riser as a cross bar. It just doesn't look right.

I know that looks should be down near the bottom of the list of criteria, but for single speed use, a cluttered, forced design isn't in tune with my single-speedness, if ya catch my drift!

As far as this bike, the XXIX+G, I have fitted the 47mm offset On One fork also. Much snappier than before, which means it handles "normally" now!

Trail time will be coming soon!

Guitar Ted

Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
Waterloo, IA
I'll get you some proper ride shots of it soon. Trans Iowa stuff this weekend and next, so it might be a bit. But I promise, I'll post something.

Guitar Ted

Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
Waterloo, IA
Thanks for the good will. You can keep up with the goings on at Ride424.com where I'll be posting up live reports from the event via an audio link on the front page of the site.

I'll be sure to mention any 29"ers in the field! :D