Quantcast

a good begginer bike

Mar 13, 2005
Hi I just started dirt jumping and now have a specialized (sp?)rock hopper. I was looking to get a better bike for dirt jumping because whenever i case my chain comes off and just recently my chain broke from casing a jump. I was thinking about a p2 but was wondering if there are any cheaper bikes that are good for dirt jumping. :)

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
Chase 3 or the P.2. Great deal. Def give the middle STP a look too or even the best one. I believe it retails for about $1100. Good componets too.

stinky6

Monkey
Dec 24, 2004
Monroe
Don't forget Norcos. Any bike from their Supercross line will be a good jumper, especially the 250 dirt. They are priced pretty good too.

bballboy388

Monkey
Dec 4, 2004
theres only one thing i dont like about norcos the frames are really sweet but then they put these ****ty derailleurs and breaks on whats up with that???

black noise

Turbo Monkey
Dec 31, 2004
Santa Cruz
I've thought about why Norco does that. They're bikes are tested on and meant for stuff like the shore, where they want a bike to work ok and where you don't want to spend $90 to replace a rear d torn off. Also, while they keep the cost down on things like derraileurs, they can put that money into frames, wheels, bar/stem, etc.

And I got a P1 for $400 used, and then I put a $300 fork on and it's an amazing bike. It's hard to beat a used P1 for the money.

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
black noise said:
And I got a P1 for $400 used, and then I put a $300 fork on and it's an amazing bike. It's hard to beat a used P1 for the money.
Hell yes...I have fallen victim to the P.1 craze and bought myself one, but the price is right for me and its not used...:thumb:

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
Yea they are but some people dont like em because the TT are too long in the biggest size. But I like that and need that so I am good.

s dub

Chimp
Nov 9, 2004
kenmore
the p.2 would be good but also the p.1-Cromo is a sweet buy. my friend got one the other day and its super nice. Only bad thing is that fork is known to break. on the plus side manitou will give you a new one pretty much no questions asked. Also the p1 chromo is only 700 msrp and the p2 900 msrp so if/when you break the stance you could get manitou store credit instead of getting it warrantied so that 300 plus the 200 you saved by getting the p1 chromo = 500 dollars which i believe is enough for a flick or jumper. i know for a fact 500 is enough for a marzocchi dirt jumper if you wanna go that wya.

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
s dub said:
the p.2 would be good but also the p.1-Cromo is a sweet buy. my friend got one the other day and its super nice. Only bad thing is that fork is known to break. on the plus side manitou will give you a new one pretty much no questions asked. Also the p1 chromo is only 700 msrp and the p2 900 msrp so if/when you break the stance you could get manitou store credit instead of getting it warrantied so that 300 plus the 200 you saved by getting the p1 chromo = 500 dollars which i believe is enough for a flick or jumper. i know for a fact 500 is enough for a marzocchi dirt jumper if you wanna go that wya.
Wow I am lost. I havent heard anything about those forks breaking. To be extra safe, if you buy one after market, get the 20mm. But its a sweet buy all together for the Chromo. You get the awesome Choromoly frame, gyro, stance static, hayes rear brake, truvativ husselfelt crank, and a good set of rims. Def. scoop that sucker up.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
I don't put much credence in all these stories about x fork breaking more than y. I think they're all pretty good these days - so long as you're not running an XC model or anything. Don't sweat it.