Quantcast

A great loss to the Off Road Racing Community

spookydave

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
Orange County, CA
If you follow desert racing at all you know that Corky was the icon of the sport. The movie "Dust to Glory" has a nice highlight of him that's worth watching if you have not already seen it.

"Corky" Mcmillin passed away yesterday around 2 am at Scripps Hospital in San Diego.

On September 10th, Corky experienced a heart attack doing what he loved – he was with his family, racing at the SCORE Primm 300 in Las Vegas. As many of you know, Corky had a past history of heart disease, and recently chose to be the title sponsor for the American Heart Association’s “Heart Walk” in Balboa Park. Many employees, friends and family members walked in his honor on September 17th, participating in the race for a cure.

A memorial service is being planned for next week and we will notify you as soon as we have the details. On behalf of the McMillin family, we want to thank you for your heartfelt support and concern.

Sandy Perlatti will be arranging with The San Diego Foundation a Corky McMillin Fund where donations can be made in Corky's honor, which will be given to United Cerebral Palsy of San Diego and Scripps Green Hospital Cardiology Program. Those wanting more information can contact Deborah Hoffman, V.P. Donor Relations (619) 235-2300 ext. 354 or Cheryl Helvie at the same number ext. 307. Make checks payable to: SDF/The Corky McMillin Memorial Fund.

Fonzie18

Turbo Monkey
spookydave said:
If you follow desert racing at all you know that Corky was the icon of the sport. The movie "Dust to Glory" has a nice highlight of him that's worth watching if you have not already seen it.

"Corky" Mcmillin passed away yesterday around 2 am at Scripps Hospital in San Diego.

On September 10th, Corky experienced a heart attack doing what he loved – he was with his family, racing at the SCORE Primm 300 in Las Vegas. As many of you know, Corky had a past history of heart disease, and recently chose to be the title sponsor for the American Heart Association’s “Heart Walk” in Balboa Park. Many employees, friends and family members walked in his honor on September 17th, participating in the race for a cure.

A memorial service is being planned for next week and we will notify you as soon as we have the details. On behalf of the McMillin family, we want to thank you for your heartfelt support and concern.

Sandy Perlatti will be arranging with The San Diego Foundation a Corky McMillin Fund where donations can be made in Corky's honor, which will be given to United Cerebral Palsy of San Diego and Scripps Green Hospital Cardiology Program. Those wanting more information can contact Deborah Hoffman, V.P. Donor Relations (619) 235-2300 ext. 354 or Cheryl Helvie at the same number ext. 307. Make checks payable to: SDF/The Corky McMillin Memorial Fund.

My dad got a call from Mark, Corky's son early yesterday morning with the news. My dad then called me at work to tell me the news..very sad indeed. As long as I can remember Corcky has been a huge icon in Off road racing, but still remaining down to earth and an all around cool guy..just like the rest of the family. He will be missed.

(thanks for posting this Spooky)