Quantcast

a gun type question...

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
I'm all for people owning guns but often ask myself this question...

why is it that a person has to take two tests to legally drive a car yet to purchase a gun, it only takes time (waiting period) and money?

Shouldn't people have to take some type of safety test or something?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
pnj said:

why is it that a person has to take two tests to legally drive a car yet to purchase a gun, it only takes time (waiting period) and money?

Because a car in the wrong hands is more likely to kill than a gun?

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
In Massachusetts that is definately not the case. For our drivers license, we need to take a questionaire to get a permit, then 6 months later we take a driving test with a state trooper to qualify for our license. In order to purchase a gun legally, you must enroll in Hunter's Education. It is a class that runs over the course of a couple weekends or a one day session. At the end of that you take a test. If you pass that test, you can go down to your local police station where you are fingerprinted and photographed. An application for a Firearms Identification has to be submitted and after about 6 weeks you get back a license. Without this license you cannot even hold a gun in this state, nevermind purchase one. Same goes for ammunition. Then again those rules only apply to Masschusetts, I am not sure what the laws for the other states are. Yes, I do have my firearms ID, but no, I do not own a gun.

slowSSer

mnoeky
Aug 14, 2002
Stepford
pnj said:

yes- here in cali, for a handgun (no rifles or shotguns) you do have to take a written test, and then you have your basic firearms license, at least the last time I looked- rumor had it that as of jan 1, 2004 you had to not only do a written test but an in-range safety test with the local sherriff. I'm not sure if that law panned out.

long ago, I saw some kids (to me, at least) that were maybe 15 or 16 that didnt know that you had to be of a certain age to purchase (21 w/o a parent/guardian signature?), and the fact that there was a written test (ohmygod!) and a waiting period scared them off.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Polandspring88 said:
In Massachusetts that is definately not the case. For our drivers license, we need to take a questionaire to get a permit, then 6 months later we take a driving test with a state trooper to qualify for our license. In order to purchase a gun legally, you must enroll in Hunter's Education. It is a class that runs over the course of a couple weekends or a one day session. At the end of that you take a test. If you pass that test, you can go down to your local police station where you are fingerprinted and photographed. An application for a Firearms Identification has to be submitted and after about 6 weeks you get back a license. Without this license you cannot even hold a gun in this state, nevermind purchase one. Same goes for ammunition. Then again those rules only apply to Masschusetts, I am not sure what the laws for the other states are. Yes, I do have my firearms ID, but no, I do not own a gun.
Or you can buy one out of the back of a '79 Bonneville in Jamaica Plain, if time is tight and/or you're really angry.

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
I prefer to do all of my weapon shopping in Roxbury. They seem to have a better selection, cheaper prices, and most of the time I walk away with my wallet (and life).

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
dan-o said:
Or you can buy one out of the back of a '79 Bonneville in Jamaica Plain, if time is tight and/or you're really angry.

:P hahahhahahahhahahahahahahhaha I am laughing so hard, "if you're really angry" got the funniest mental pictures...

PBV

Chimp
Apr 18, 2005
Boston
Isn't holding fire arms an inaliable right of being an American

But

Holding a drivers liscense is a privialage?

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
pnj said:

And there is STILL a sh!tload of you morons who can't drive!!!!

I never purchased a hunting license in Vermont because of the training requirement (I was damned if I was going to do that, having had military training).

When I decided to buy my S&W 9 mm, I walked up filled out the form, waited for the check, and walked out with the weapon.

I think passing an exam would be a good idea, but requiring training is lame.

J

firetoole

duch bag
Nov 19, 2004
Wooo Tulips!!!!
In my county boats are more dangerous than guns, I swear it's like once a week I have to respond to some moron that bought a speed boat with no prior boating experience and flipped or crashed it into something

Freakin Noobs!

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Guns have been around probably longer than the idea of taking tests and licenses have been around. It is just one of those things that can't be changed not matter how good of an idea it is, like letting people retire from 25-35 then work till their dead.

clancy98

Monkey
Dec 6, 2004
like JBP said, there's no waiting period anymore either because of instant background checks. Least in OH

But also, most shops that will sell you a gun will give you a free firearms training course upon purchase, and/or recommend a local police dept. that will do the same. I took both at no cost, and I think alot of new firearm owners do the same... They're not all as bad as you think.

I visited a retired Vermont state trooper who lives nearby for a quick refresher course and a precis of Vermont laws immediately following the purchase.

I would probably attend a course if one were conveniently available, there's always something to learn. I just don't like 'education' under duress.

bballboy388

Monkey
Dec 4, 2004
Polandspring88 said:
oh oops i thought u were commenting on how good massachusetts drivers are at driving.