Quantcast

A History of the Internet

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
hahaha

Bill Gates embarks on heroic and lifelong quest to piss off every person in America.
Awesome quote :)

They kind of miss a memorable moment (imo anyways) the development of newsgroups and the release of those newsgroups to be used by anyone with a dial-up connection. At the time those connections were created on various bbs's and later directly through isp's. For a lot of us old timers (not old just been online in some form for 18 years) that was the first time it was publicly released. And then at around the same time (likely earlier but I avoided the 'web' like the plague for years, I didn't want to give up my bbs), Lynx came out pre "html"...oh the memories :)

The guys who did the site know history but suck at web design, what horrible colour contrast for the dates.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
"1983 - Researchers develop TCP/IP, DNS, IAB, and other important internet acronyms."

Wow, I Are Babboon has been on the net for over 20 years!

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
"1999 - Napster introduced. Rampant piracy drives Metallica to life of abject poverty as wandering minstrels. Other artists soon to follow."

BWAAAAHHH!!!

:thumb:

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Roasted said:
hahaha

Awesome quote :)

They kind of miss a memorable moment (imo anyways) the development of newsgroups and the release of those newsgroups to be used by anyone with a dial-up connection. At the time those connections were created on various bbs's and later directly through isp's. For a lot of us old timers (not old just been online in some form for 18 years) that was the first time it was publicly released. And then at around the same time (likely earlier but I avoided the 'web' like the plague for years, I didn't want to give up my bbs), Lynx came out pre "html"...oh the memories :)

The guys who did the site know history but suck at web design, what horrible colour contrast for the dates.
I remember a BBS where only one person could dial in at a time to leave messages. And even that wasn't my first computer experience...

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
That's good stuff!

Circa 1990: Found my first dial-in BBS. Got addicted to Legend of the Red Dragon. Racked up parent's long-distance bill in the early AM.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
firetoole said:
nice, I was partial to Rize of the triad
Rise of the Triad? Did they make something other than a first person shooter version?

LORD was one of those text based, role-playing BBS games.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
firetoole said:
yea it was a erly role playing game the first person shooter was based off it
Cool, never played the text based version of it. I also played quite a bit of Usurper.

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
where is the part on that line when People get Fat and lazy from spending way to much time on the internet then going out and riding their bikes??? :evil:

Superdeft

Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
East Coast
Yeah right, I'm not buying that LIE!

With just a punch-card and a dream, Al Gore INVENTED the internet. Himself. Alone. Then there was ridemonkey, and I havn't seen much of the rest of it since.