Quantcast

a homemade video...

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
Good riding, fun looking tracks, good editing, great song. Nice work.

Editing is great fun.

One thing (and this is only personally): lay off the slow motion double-takes.

Otherwise cool vid! Welcome to RM.

cesco

Chimp
Dec 23, 2007
Good riding, fun looking tracks, good editing, great song. Nice work.

Editing is great fun.

One thing (and this is only personally): lay off the slow motion double-takes.

Otherwise cool vid! Welcome to RM.

thanks for the your welcome!

yes, probably I used the slow motion too much...

[Tha]Shovla

Monkey
Aug 28, 2007
Somewhere over the rainbow
Welcome !

nice video, looks like a sweet flowy track with a good mix of stuff. I like your editing and that you are good at working a couple of different angles of the same stunt, that helps bring perspective to the trail and the size of the riding. Very well done.

cesco

Chimp
Dec 23, 2007
[Tha]Shovla;2775476 said:
Welcome !

nice video, looks like a sweet flowy track with a good mix of stuff. I like your editing and that you are good at working a couple of different angles of the same stunt, that helps bring perspective to the trail and the size of the riding. Very well done.

thank you [Tha]Shovla! I like your criticism...

Vena

Monkey
Aug 30, 2007
Italy
I'd like to hear some comments about this video to improve for the next time:

Thanks guys

SPINTECK

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2005
abc
I'm no expert, but I watch a lot of vids and pretend I know something. That said, here are my thoughts:

simple text- put a shadow on black text over action scenes so it stands out. I like white text on black more than your blue, but you could also put a white hue/shadow on the blue text as well.

original music- not super high energy first song, but matches the tone of the riding.I like it personally, but music and video is super hard to please the masses. I love that second song.

first shot is good, but second riding shot is too long (12 seconds) for the action- it's hard if you don't have hours of raw footage to edit in order to make it shorter though. Shots of people not riding are great, but keep them 1-3 seconds.

I like a few flash trasitions, but I don't like the fancy tranisitions like blinds. Keep it simple, fades, flashes, straight up no transition.

You don't have to follow a rider until the end, letting a subject ride out of frame creates a nice edit point. Zooming in at the end of a scene also creates a nice edit point.

I Love that close up of vena's rear wheel riding into frame and him hitting the jump and riding out of frame.

Overall a nice home made video. I know you were trying to get all your friends in there, which is good, but for a guy who doesn't know you or the trail, it's a little long and repetitive. I also have this problem. I try to get all my friends in the vid, even if the same jump is hit too many times and makes the video boring. But my friends deserve video of themselves over net users looking for a cheap peek.

One last thing, you should learn how to use a zip line in all those trees. It will make any shot look super exciting. It's a little work, but worth it.

Cheers!

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
air2k and cesco, really like both your vids, nice work. dont really have any comment for it.

here is a vid of one of the more used dh trails in malaysia:

i didn't take the vid, but the guys who made it doesn't post here, so i'll pass the comments to him.

cesco

Chimp
Dec 23, 2007
air2k and cesco, really like both your vids, nice work. dont really have any comment for it.

here is a vid of one of the more used dh trails in malaysia:

i didn't take the vid, but the guys who made it doesn't post here, so i'll pass the comments to him.
:O I was in Malaysia for work... in Ipoh and K.L. precisely!
Where is this dh trails? it seems very fast and fun!

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
wow, small world. next time you are there bring your bike and give me a shout.

that one was in kl, mt kiara to be precise. yea, that trail is very fast. there are loads of train in kiara. some a bit xc but all good fun. the big dh trails are in penang tho. ipoh doesn't have anything much. the longest dh run in penang is about 15 minutes for the fast guys. no pedaling, tech all the way down.

i have no idea who made this vid, but its of the penang international race last september, top section is a bit gay, but rest of it is nice. just realized that vid makes the track look insanely pedaly, the best parts of the track aren't in there. pity.

here is one of the cikole track in bandung indonesia, a very high speed track with loads of berms. the rider in the red oakley top is a girl, she can whoop some ass.

AiR2k

Chimp
Jun 13, 2007
Finland
I wanna pump this topic up for my latest vid. :spam:

We did some eastern-riding on our local skiing resort. Viosport's
headcam and different camera angles got us some nice footage.

While some of you guys are riding in t-shirts, we are having fun in
snowy conditions railing with our screw tires. Check the video out
and give me some feedback, please.

Slipperyyy at pinkbike

Santa Maria

Monkey
Aug 29, 2007
Austria

Slipperyyy at pinkbike
nice Track - looks like fun

AiR2k

Chimp
Jun 13, 2007
Finland
Let's pump this topic up.

We had this little slopestyle competition in my hometown and I got XDCAM HD on loan to film it. Nice flips and 3's. 1st place price was high end Mirraco BMX.

Here is my video from the event.

I did also 720p version, but don't like to share the link here, 'cause of the bandwidth.

Some feedback would be nice, once again. ;)

EDIT: Maybe this would suit better under freeride-discussion. But what you can do...

Last edited:

AiR2k

Chimp
Jun 13, 2007
Finland

Slipperyyy at pinkbike
Time for VID-spam. This video was recorded same day as slipperyyy, last eastern. Haven't had time to edit this before.

If you are feeling too hot, check out this video for some snowy action: Winter by AiR2k (at Pinkbike).

I think it turned out fine. Unfortunately PB compresses vids little bit too much and you can't see all nice little snowflakes flying around.
Constructive comments are allways welcomed. :pirate2:

AiR2k

Chimp
Jun 13, 2007
Finland
Any day now I will get feedback from the :monkey:s. I think it's soon, maybe not with this video yet! *Fingers crossed*

So here is my latest video:
At Laajavuori

We will be leaving to Are, Sweden this weekend (I'm so stoked). I think we will make a vid there, so be prepared for that in near future.

J

Monkey
Dec 7, 2003
San Luis Obispo, CA
Well done! Some very inventive helmet cam shots that worked well. Nice color, nice still shots, sweet credits too! I would try to add some more panning and zooming shots, however. There stills were good but made it somewhat boring for me. The bike rack shot at the end for the beginning of the credits was awesome, great idea there. I also liked the intro-- very clean just like the rest of the movie.

AiR2k

Chimp
Jun 13, 2007
Finland
Well done! Some very inventive helmet cam shots that worked well. Nice color, nice still shots, sweet credits too! I would try to add some more panning and zooming shots, however. There stills were good but made it somewhat boring for me. The bike rack shot at the end for the beginning of the credits was awesome, great idea there. I also liked the intro-- very clean just like the rest of the movie.
Thanks for your comments.

Yeah, I do agree with the still shots. Unfortunately I didn't have much of a choice, 'cause I was making this video mostly by myself. I kinda like stills if they are cropped nicely, but if there are too many; yes it makes shots too static.

This video was small demo for our possible bigger project, which we would shoot with better cams and riders with more skills. There we would have a change to make more dynamic shots and to try to push our videos to next level.

J

Monkey
Dec 7, 2003
San Luis Obispo, CA
Thanks for your comments.

Yeah, I do agree with the still shots. Unfortunately I didn't have much of a choice, 'cause I was making this video mostly by myself. I kinda like stills if they are cropped nicely, but if there are too many; yes it makes shots too static.

This video was small demo for our possible bigger project, which we would shoot with better cams and riders with more skills. There we would have a change to make more dynamic shots and to try to push our videos to next level.
Sweet, I can't wait. It should be good!

offtheedge

Monkey
Aug 26, 2005
LB
nice work all the way around. lots of good elements in both the riding and editing.

my $.02:
stay away from cheesy transitions
easy on the slow motions unless they are showing mega roost
fewer double takes and camera pans.