Quantcast

a Job Question

splat

Nam I am
My company was purchased last summer by a very large software Company ( and its not Microsoft ) , and I am not sure I like how I see the Direction things are going. So I have put my really put Resume together . and last night I was surfing Monster and saw a couple of positions that interested me. One of them had only been posted hours before, so I shot my Resume off to a couple of Comapines. well when I got home from work today the company that had just put up there job had called me first thing this morning , and wants to set up an interview. I'm in a little shock that i got a response that fast.

I havent' been out in the field looking for a Job for over 5 years now.

So does this sound like they are desperate ? Are Unix Admins in that short a supply ? or am I just that Good :D ( which i am ) Now the big question is how do they pay ?

But I'm sure a putting a couple of interviews under my belt wouldn't hurt either.

J

JRB

I had a development take place at work last week, and my resume is at a main competitors place now. I had to cancel my interview today, but am excited to have it rescheduled next week. I haven't quit my job, and won't until I am fired or have another job, but I have zero worries. That is how uncomfortable I am with the direction things are moving. Good luck, splat.

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
If they have a good HR/recruiting department, they're going to try and move things along as quickly as possible. Combine that with a slow week so they might be able to turn things around quicker....

Good luck! (And the first interview after being out of the loop awhile can suck so make sure you practice a bit before hand.)

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
It depends on what state you are looking in. I found it hard to find a job in the Portland (OR) area, but it was not too hard in Silicon Valley (surprise).

I think the key is your knowledge of Veritas products and some form of storage, like HDS or NetApp.

Angus

Jack Ass Pen Goo Win
Oct 15, 2004
South Bend
Don't be afraid that the other company is desperate, I had a brief stint as a headhunter, and you are ripe for the picking!

The best finds are usually people who have been on the job 4-6 years,
In corporate mentality this means your not a job jumper, nor have you been at one company so long your instituitionilized that you'd be hard to retrain to a new company.

Also, alot of companies( other than retail) can't or won't hire just before the holidays, so most likely this company just got the go ahead to make a hire they have probally needed for months.

Also it is a proven fact you can make more $$ switching jobs every 5 years as oppose to staying at the same place for 20 years and getting raises.

When doing the interview, don't be arrogant or sound desperate just make it known the your looking for a "new" challenge but you must be properly compensated to make a switch.

I know it's a drag but I really recomend doing some role playing this weekend, so you won't feel clumsy during the interview.

I wish you the best of luck.

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
splat said:
One of them had only been posted hours before, so I shot my Resume off to a couple of Comapines. well when I got home from work today the company that had just put up there job had called me first thing this morning , and wants to set up an interview. I'm in a little shock that i got a response that fast.

I havent' been out in the field looking for a Job for over 5 years now.

So does this sound like they are desperate ? Are Unix Admins in that short a supply ? or am I just that Good :D ( which i am ) Now the big question is how do they pay ?

But I'm sure a putting a couple of interviews under my belt wouldn't hurt either.
They might be desparate, you never know. Could be someone is retiring, leaving for another job, quit, etc. I always ask why a position is currently open when I am at an interview. That answer may help you make a decision on whethter you want to work there or not.

Things haven't changed much in the interview world. Wear a suit, bring extra copies of your resume' with you, bring copies of your references, be prepared to answer both relevant and stupid questions. Lots of companies still have people doing interviews that read questions off of a template, or aren't good at interviewing.

Salary Information

Good Unix Admins are definitely in high demand. If they think you can step right in and do the job, they call quickly. :)

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
splat said:
Won't have a Chance. I just got an email , I have a Phone interview at Noon today!! :help:
haha...good luck, Splat! :thumb:

BTW, I say you go on the interview while the job opportunity is out there. If you're unsure of your company's future, the new opportunity might not be there when you have to find a new job.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Speaking of interviews, I've got someone coming in at 3:30 today for a 2nd interview. My VP is going to talk to her. We're going to make her offer at the end of the interview. She's got a lot of potential, so I hope the $$ is right.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
splat said:
<snip>
So does this sound like they are desperate ?
A little
Are Unix Admins in that short a supply?
Lucky for you and me, yes.
or am I just that Good :D ( which i am ) Now the big question is how do they pay ?
What do Unix admins make in your neck of the woods?
That never hurts. :D

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
splat said:
So does this sound like they are desperate ?
SkaredShtles said:

I don't think it means a company is desparate. Maybe they've been looking for a while and can't find the right candidate. Of course, this is something Splat can ask in the interview. No harm in putting the company on the spot. "I just posted my resume yesterday. Why did you contact me so quickly?"

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
splat said:
Won't have a Chance. I just got an email , I have a Phone interview at Noon today!! :help:

Just DON'T BE YOURSELF! :eek:

Actually, just kidding! :p Be yourself, and be the consummate professional. Act like the professional you would liked to be perceived as, and you'll do fine. be honest.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
loco said:
I had a development take place at work last week, and my resume is at a main competitors place now. I had to cancel my interview today, but am excited to have it rescheduled next week. I haven't quit my job, and won't until I am fired or have another job, but I have zero worries. That is how uncomfortable I am with the direction things are moving. Good luck, splat.
Ummmmm..........

This post is about Splat, numbnuts - not you. :mad:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
I Are Baboon said:
I don't think it means a company is desparate. Maybe they've been looking for a while and can't find the right candidate. Of course, this is something Splat can ask in the interview. No harm in putting the company on the spot. "I just posted my resume yesterday. Why did you contact me so quickly?"
That's why I said they "sound" a little desperate. They might not be.

But desperate companies are good - they'll usually pony up the big $$ if you're good. :D

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
SkaredShtles said:
Must be a different world. :think: I've *never* worn a suit to an interview in the last 12 years. :thumb:
Dressing in a nice suit for an interview can place you in front of others who didn't, that have a similar skill level, and are interviewing for the same positon. Regardless of whether the company culture is business casual or professional.

I don't like suits or even ties much, for that matter, but manage to "though it out" for interviews. :blah:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
berkshire_rider said:
Dressing in a nice suit for an interview can place you in front of others who didn't, that have a similar skill level, and are interviewing for the same positon. Regardless of whether the company culture is business casual or professional.
That's interesting. Out here when a Unix admin shows up to an interview with a suit on, it actually "feels" odd (speaking as an interviewer). Maybe it's a Unix admin thing.......... :D

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Pretty funny, while i was reading this post, my phone rang it was a guy asking if i could interview for a job. I had a post like this over the summer when i was stressing about getting the job that i am currently in. I have since found out that a bunch of other people had interviewed for it and were very qualified but they said i interviewed the best...Whoever above said that you dont want to be arrogant but not too passive couldnt be more correct, im sure you know this, but its good advice...

Good Karma your way man...

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
SkaredShtles said:
That's interesting. Out here when a Unix admin shows up to an interview with a suit on, it actually "feels" odd (speaking as an interviewer). Maybe it's a Unix admin thing.......... :D
How dare you insult the fashion sense of Unix Sys Admins!

BTW, these are inventors of UNIX, Ritchie and Thompson. I remember in a CS class, we were shown a film about Bell Laboratories, where these guys worked. Someone commented how every person in the film had a beard, wore suspenders, and had a pocket protector!

splat

Nam I am
I Are Baboon said:
Splat owes us an update...
was interesting , But not what I am looking for. Stagnet enviroment , Company is on the decline 200 Employees down from 400 just 2 years ago. and the position has been open since March.

and BTW , I always wear a Suit when I go on interviews, But I have interviewed guys for Unix Positions who are wearing Jeans.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
splat said:
was interesting , But not what I am looking for. Stagnet enviroment , Company is on the decline 200 Employees down from 400 just 2 years ago. and the position has been open since March.

and BTW , I always wear a Suit when I go on interviews, But I have interviewed guys for Unix Positions who are wearing Jeans.
During my interview for this job, I wore a suit but no tie. No one commented or complained, and I did get this job.

I have some fancy suits, but I figured not to overdress for this one.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
sanjuro said:
During my interview for this job, I wore a suit but no tie. No one commented or complained, and I did get this job.

I have some fancy suits, but I figured not to overdress for this one.
During my interview for my current job I wore a tie, but no suit. :D

I own exactly 0 suits. Actually, in my entire life I've owned exactly 0 suits.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I think the problem with getting Unix jobs is supply and demand. In most places, only the largest companies will need Unix Admins. But I have worked for oil exploration, which have large datasets as well as scientific computation and visualization, in New Orleans; and health insurance, with huge amounts of customer data, in Hartford.

This year, I tried to get a job in Portland, which only had so many big companies (I noticed Nike was advertising). But you never know where Unix will pop up.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Around here, "good" UNIX admins are forever short supply. I only know a few that I would call an admin and I know a lot of people with the title. Depending on the company, they pay rather well compared to Windows admins.

If they called right away, it might be something on your resume that sparked interest. But it is good practice to interview even if your not 100% sold on the position.

I interviewed with 3 companies this month, wanted the first real bad, but liked the idea of the other 2. I know I would have gotten offers from all 3, but I took the first without question because it was a matter of the company and the position knowing both of the other 2 would have paid better.

Also, with this company I don't have an IT department to fight with, so I build and manage my own lab and like it that way. Besides, Phoenix Technologies is the largest BIOS company in the world, so I think there might be some future there :D

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
SkaredShtles said:
Must be a different world. :think: I've *never* worn a suit to an interview in the last 12 years. :thumb:
I wore a tie once and it was a disatster. My last interview I wore kaki pants and a Dickies short sleeve shirt (un-tucked). I also had my Fox Racing hoody with me.