Quantcast

a life decision:what to do?

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
here is the deal, i have a job interview tomorrow for a really cool job and i hope i get it but im not sure i will. Currently living in the mountains in asheville nc. If i get the job all will be good, if i dont im kind screwed. However if i dont get it i should have enough money left over to move to Flagstaff AZ and i can work at a Flagstaff brew pub where my best friend can hook me up with a job (low pay kinda stuff)and he has a room that will be opening up at the end of the month at his house that will run me 285 a month. Should i go or keep fighting the piss poor job market here in western NC?

i really hope i get the fly fishing guide/instructor job but if not should i try to stay or should i move?

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
I'd smoke crack and worship satan if I were you....In Flagstaff

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Dude, STAY! Why would you move to Flagstaff for a poo poo job. Have you even looked into the poo poo job market in A-ville just to get by?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Do you have credit? I do not encourage debt, but if you've got a reasonable way to survive some financially tough times in Flagstaff -- assuming Flagstaff is where you want to be -- then take the chance and move.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
Mtb_Rob_FL said:
Dude, STAY! Why would you move to Flagstaff for a poo poo job. Have you even looked into the poo poo job market in A-ville just to get by?

yes i, i have and it just isnt happening. if im gonna be relegated to working crappy gnowhere jobs for the rest of my time on earth then why not do it in different places while im single and have no kids?hell man i dont even have a pet.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
LordOpie said:
Do you have credit? I do not encourage debt, but if you've got a reasonable way to survive some financially tough times in Flagstaff -- assuming Flagstaff is where you want to be -- then take the chance and move.
well my job would be full time and my best friend is in the process of trying to buy out one of the two guys that owns the brew pub.

as for credit im also free and clear (except for student loans).

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
biggins said:
well my job would be full time and my best friend is in the process of trying to buy out one of the two guys that owns the brew pub.

as for credit im also free and clear (except for student loans).
wait i meant almost free and clear of debt.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Biggins,

My wife lived in Asheville for years working crap jobs and taking little pay trying to stay a float. She worked abusive situations and hostile enviornments, made no money and just plain struggled. She swears that Asheville (WNC) was cursed by the Cherokee. The curse states that WNC is so beautiful that you never want to leave but life there will be hard and you will struggle. I suppose that was true first settlers and its still true now.

It might be tempting to move to Flagstaff just to get out of there but once you are there you better hope to god your friend either doesn't change his mind or that you can still get along. Its a long way to move for the promise of a job from a friend. If you spent all your money to get there and it didn't work out you would be royally screwed.

I suggest you look east instead. There are lots of good jobs in the middle of NC. Raleigh Durham Chapel Hill. You can often find good temp jobs in and around the Universities. You will get paid more and you won't be treated as badly. You might even get some respect and the riding isn't half bad either.

My wife never even realized how unhappy she was until she moved down to Chapel Hill. Now when we moved the Maryland that's another story. Whatever you do DO NOT move north...

Good luck.

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
jdschall said:
It might be tempting to move to Flagstaff just to get out of there but once you are there you better hope to god your friend either doesn't change his mind or that you can still get along. Its a long way to move for the promise of a job from a friend. If you spent all your money to get there and it didn't work out you would be royally screwed.

I suggest you look east instead. There are lots of good jobs in the middle of NC. Raleigh Durham Chapel Hill. You can often find good temp jobs in and around the Universities. You will get paid more and you won't be treated as badly. You might even get some respect and the riding isn't half bad either.
Knowing you Biggins that is probably the best advice you are going to hear. Especially since that will put you even closer to your family (sister and parents) and still only a short road trip from all the aspects you love about Aville.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
jdschall said:
Biggins,

My wife lived in Asheville for years working crap jobs and taking little pay trying to stay a float. She worked abusive situations and hostile enviornments, made no money and just plain struggled. She swears that Asheville (WNC) was cursed by the Cherokee. The curse states that WNC is so beautiful that you never want to leave but life there will be hard and you will struggle. I suppose that was true first settlers and its still true now.

My wife never even realized how unhappy she was until she moved down to Chapel Hill. Now when we moved the Maryland that's another story. Whatever you do DO NOT move north...

Good luck.
word, i hear ya and appreciate the advice. the friend of mine is my best friend in the world we have lived together for years before he moved out to flag and getting a job there would not be an issue.

as for the raleigh area, i grew up there for 22 years and i will never live there again. thats just the way it is going to be. If it means sleeping in a friggin ditch in the mountains to avoid the place i will.

as for the job thing, it is all my fault fo not ever completing a college education. most of the jobs in the market anywhere will not pay me anything so i have come to terms with that situation. Raleigh and that area would not be any better because i would still be working a crap job and getting pissed on.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
Mtb_Rob_FL said:
Knowing you Biggins that is probably the best advice you are going to hear. Especially since that will put you even closer to your family (sister and parents) and still only a short road trip from all the aspects you love about Aville.
thbe family is the only other thing. we are all very close b ut damn i have got to do something if this job does not come through.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Mtb_Rob_FL said:
Because Flagstaff kicks giant, major, all-kinds-of ass...........

Biggins: MOVE TO FLAGSTAFF for f#*k sake!! :mumble: The sooner the better.

-S.S.-

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
SkaredShtles said:
Because Flagstaff kicks giant, major, all-kinds-of ass...........

Biggins: MOVE TO FLAGSTAFF for f#*k sake!! :mumble: The sooner the better.

-S.S.-
what are your ties to Flag anyway? you are the biggest proponent of this whole situation, whats up?

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
''as for the raleigh area, i grew up there for 22 years and i will never live there again. thats just the way it is going to be. If it means sleeping in a friggin ditch in the mountains to avoid the place i will."

i just got back from a 2 day stay in Cary/Sanford.

get thee to flagstaff, godspeed!!!

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
The best thing then for you to do is get into some sort of construction trade. After a while if you're good at your trade get you contractors license and start your own business. Though it kinda sounds like you you want to make $15K a year and don't give a sh*t. Be agressive you don't need a college degree to make a very comfortable living. You just need to be motivated.

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
Brian HCM#1 said:
The best thing then for you to do is get into some sort of construction trade. After a while if you're good at your trade get you contractors license and start your own business. Though it kinda sounds like you you want to make $15K a year and don't give a sh*t. Be agressive you don't need a college degree to make a very comfortable living. You just need to be motivated.
yes...motivated like Brian...marry a rich girl and sit online all day! :D heheheh

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
biggins said:
what are your ties to Flag anyway? you are the biggest proponent of this whole situation, whats up?
actually, if you asked SS, he'd probably tell you to move to Utah.

SW USA does kick major ass.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Biggins - maybe Flagstaff is where you need to go then. I agree. I lived in Chapel Hill for about 9 years. When I left swore I hated it and never wanted to go back. I've been gone about 6 months and I would die to go back (although there other places I'd rather go even more). Its just not that bad really compared to some places.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
Brian HCM#1 said:
actually i have those trades (mechanic and carpenter)my arm would be a serious issue when it comes to lifting things over my head and swinging a hammer. I know it sounds like a cop out but its true. I would love to open my own business but i cant get get capital. hell if i had 25,000.00 i would just open a bar and stay right where i am. But it isnt going to happen.