Quantcast

A little help from my friends...please?

Dan_ger

Monkey
Sep 15, 2006
East Bay
In the spring of 2005, I broke my collarbone, which took me off of my bike for a while. During that time, I first became aware that as a mountain biker, I could still be involved by advocating for the expansion of our sport.

Acting locally, I set out to create a program by which I could make the general public more aware of the existence of our local advocacy group, the Bicycle Trails Council of the East Bay. By setting up an information kiosk at local parks, we could meet a cross section of people who use these parks, inform them of our presence and plight and recruit new members while giving away generously donated Clif Bar products.

For 6 Saturdays during the summer of 2005, many of my mountain bike brothers and sisters helped me organize and staff the information kiosks, lead group rides from these locales and teach new riders technique and trail etiquette. It was an excellent program and we had a great time hanging out, meeting people and riding!

Last year, the program was left by the wayside as I was unable to plan because of the birth of my daughter, Maya, and everything that goes on regarding a new child.

This year, I am working on a twist of the program. I am organizing the information kiosks themselves much as they were done in 2005 but instead of trying to do them for 6 weeks during the heat of the summer on subsequent weekends, I am scheduling them once a month on the 4th Saturday of the month between March and November.

We will begin at about 9am and go until 3pm. Instead of focusing on a variety of programs, we will be focusing on club membership and participation. There will be 2 group rides on each date, one at 9:30am and one at 12:30pm, allowing for all booth staff to enjoy a group ride themselves.

At 3pm, we will close the booth for all but party purposes and (where permitting) strike up the grill and crack some fine brews. I hope to be able to talk the BTCEB into funding this free for all member volunteers.

Of course, if I can't get an official vote from the board on this, we can just bring our own!

Dates as my calendar shows them will be: March 24, April 28, May 26, June 23, July 28, August 25, September 22, October 27 and November 24.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Berkeley Mike and I have started planning the first one at Tilden Regional Park on March 24. I will be meeting with Park Supervisor Davio Santos to get his official blessing this coming Saturday.

Saturday March 24th, 9:00 A.M.
Meeting Location: Tilden Park, Inspiration Point - BTCEB Kiosk
Route: A loop around Wildcat Canyon and Tilden parks approximately 12-15 miles, 3 hours. Recent rain will shorten and change the route to paved trails. Rain on day of ride cancels.
Ride Leader: Michael Mejia, 510-541-7880, mejiaphoto@comcast.net

In addition, I need some of my other stand-up mountain biking brothers and sisters to join me by volunteering to staff the information kiosk during the 9-12 or 12-3 time slot and I need someone to lead the 12:30 group ride.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Following that, the other kiosk location will be at a variety of locations as I mentioned. I would like to have a similar meet & greet, group ride and grub sessions at Shell Ridge, Mt. Diablo Mitchell Canyon, Garin, Del Valle, Redwood Skyline Gate, Joaquin Miller, Pleasanton Ridge and Lake Chabot.

I'm open to suggestions as long as you're willing to volunteer!